compiz crashed with SIGABRT in Glib::exception_handlers_invoke()

Bug #737792 reported by Eliel Floriano Resende do Prado on 2011-03-18
930
This bug affects 178 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Unity
Fix Released
Critical
Unassigned
compiz (Ubuntu)
High
Loïc Molinari
unity (Ubuntu)
Critical
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: compiz

After i've installed my graphics driver the compiz crashed!
I installed the Nvidia's 3d experimental driver.
Thanks, the ubuntu 11.04 is becoming very bealtiful. Thanks very much!!

ProblemType: Crash
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: compiz-core 1:0.9.4-0ubuntu7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.35-generic 2.6.38
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic i686
Architecture: i386
CompizPlugins: [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,mousepoll,vpswitch,regex,animation,snap,expo,move,compiztoolbox,place,grid,imgpng,gnomecompat,wall,ezoom,workarounds,staticswitcher,resize,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,scale,session,unityshell]
CompositorRunning: None
Date: Fri Mar 18 16:57:43 2011
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: natty
DistroVariant: ubuntu
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/compiz
GraphicsCard:
 nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] [10de:0641] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Device [1acc:915f]
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha i386 (20110301.7)
InstallationMedia_: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha i386 (20110301.7)
MachineType: System manufacturer System Product Name
ProcCmdline: compiz
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=pt_BR:en
 LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-7-generic root=UUID=5a0df536-0aab-4b4e-a65f-0a88abfaceeb ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcVersionSignature_: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.35-generic 2.6.38
Renderer: Unknown
Signal: 6
SourcePackage: compiz
StacktraceTop:
 Glib::exception_handlers_invoke() () from /usr/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1
 Glib::Source::dispatch_vfunc(_GSource*, int (*)(void*), void*) () from /usr/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1
 g_main_context_dispatch () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
 ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
 g_main_loop_run () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
Title: compiz crashed with SIGABRT in Glib::exception_handlers_invoke()
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
dmi.bios.date: 05/20/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
dmi.bios.version: 0402
dmi.board.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
dmi.board.name: P5KPL-AM-CKD-VISUM-SI
dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
dmi.board.version: x.xx
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset-1234567890
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacture
dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr0402:bd05/20/2009:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKComputerINC.:rnP5KPL-AM-CKD-VISUM-SI:rvrx.xx:cvnChassisManufacture:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
dmi.product.name: System Product Name
dmi.product.version: System Version
dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer
version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.4-0ubuntu7
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.23-1ubuntu3
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.1-0ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg 1:7.6~3ubuntu11
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.14.0-0ubuntu4
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20110107+b795ca6e-0ubuntu6

StacktraceTop:
 glibmm_unexpected_exception () at exceptionhandler.cc:71
 Glib::exception_handlers_invoke () at exceptionhandler.cc:150
 Glib::Source::dispatch_vfunc (callback=0x4e1680 <(anonymous namespace)::glibmm_dummy_source_callback(void*)>, user_data=0x996aef8) at main.cc:896
 g_main_dispatch (context=0x994b778) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.3/./glib/gmain.c:2440
 g_main_context_dispatch (context=0x994b778) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.3/./glib/gmain.c:3013

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
tags: removed: need-i386-retrace
tags: added: compiz-0.9
security vulnerability: yes → no
visibility: private → public
Paolo Rotolo (paolorotolo) wrote :

compiz crashed with SIGABRT in a live session, while i test Ubuntu 11.04 20110329

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
tags: added: iso-testing
Bruno Bigras (brunoqc) wrote :

I got this crash too when I do : unity --reset

DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: compiz-core 1:0.9.4git20110322-0ubuntu5

Doug Bates (coloneldare) wrote :

eMachines netbook driving external monitor at 1360x768. Crash reported when switching workspaces.

System remained stable and recovered without locking up etc.

Thanks for great system

gib (gib-juno) wrote :

This occurred when I installed the recommended nvidia driver.

magisterludi (magisterludi) wrote :

Compiz crashed while I've been testing natty narwhal live distribution

tags: added: bugpattern-needed
Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz) wrote :

Need better instructions to reproduce this people.

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
rrwood (roy-wood) wrote :

In my case, I did the following:

- download/install VirtualBox 4.0.4 from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- download BETA 1 image of Ubuntu 11.04
- create VirtualBox virtual machine with 3D Acceleration enabled
- install Ubuntu 11.04 BETA 1 in VirtualBox; reboot virtual machine
- update all packages in Ubuntu via the usual "sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade"
- install VirtuaBox utils via "sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-guest-utils"; reboot virtual machine
- ensure that "Ubuntu" is chosen as the desktop environment, log-in
- wait while system stalls and I finally receive the Compiz error message (sometimes immediately, sometimes a short time later)

rrwood (roy-wood) wrote :

I did another update today and MANY packages were upgraded, and behaviour seems better. No Compiz errors yet.

Bruno Bigras (brunoqc) wrote :

I don't have this crash anymore when I do : unity --reset

I get this bug with default install. nVidia drivers were detected and used automatically, and on every boot i get this error including the very first boot after install.

Charlie Kravetz (charlie-tca) wrote :

Crashed on starting the live desktop. Not sure what happened, after it logged in, I clicked two launchers in the Launcher Panel.

David Barth (dbarth) on 2011-04-13
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Loïc Molinari (loic.molinari)
Changed in unity:
assignee: nobody → Loïc Molinari (loic.molinari)
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
milestone: none → 3.8.8
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-14
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-14
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.8 → 3.8.10
aljazek (aljazek) wrote :

I was just trying live usb 11.04 and compiz crashed. Oh, and another bug wasn't fixed yet...the one where icons in "applications" menu are invisible until you hover over them with cursor.

Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-18
Changed in unity:
importance: Medium → High
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
importance: Medium → High
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-19
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.10 → 3.8.12
Didier Roche (didrocks) wrote :

The latest duplicated is on ATI (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/766662) and is from the 20 april (no change in trunk since). So not nouveau related

David Barth (dbarth) wrote :

From the analysis of the reports (this bug and duplicates), it seems that the problem occurs on high-end GPUs and creates a race condition triggering an exception that itself crashes Compiz.

The problem doesn't happen on particular GPUs, ie we cannot just blacklist some of them.

The error is not constant: the system eventually starts. One developer was able to reproduce the anomaly while debugging other fixes.

The fact that it can happen on the livecd is of critical importance. However, since:
a/ it does not happen systematically, and
b/ the system eventually starts (via gnome-session respawning it)

it feels to me, that the bug is not a release blocker. So I am assigning it an importance of 'high'. Besides, we're keeping that problem on the 0day-SRU list, but we don't have high hopes of finding a real solution for it.

We are looking at more reports and comments to help design a workaround that could limit the visual impact of the problem.

David Barth (dbarth) wrote :

It cannot be a 0 day SRU, considering the variety of conditions the issue was triggered by, and due to the fact that we don't have a root cause at this point. So any fix at this stage would just be a guess or an approximation, which a 0 day SRU can't be made of.

Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.12 → 3.8.14
David Barth (dbarth) on 2011-05-31
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.14 → 3.8.16
Loïc Molinari (loic.molinari) wrote :

Glibmm dispatches GMainLoop's sources inside an exception handler. The problem here is that a std::bad_alloc exception is thrown by a callback and GLibmm aborts the Compiz process.

Going back 1.5 months back in the Unity code using bzr, I can easily reproduce that issue, but with the current code I wasn't able to reproduce it. I think this bug's been fixed by someone who modified the code throwing the std::bad_alloc exception. This bug hasn't received any update nor duplicate since more than 1.5 months.

Shouldn't we mark it as fixed?

Download full text (4.5 KiB)

Have not experienced this also for a month or so, have downloaded many
updates so it seems to be fixed for me.
Mark it as fixed and we can see what else comes up in time.
Regards

2011/5/31 Loïc Molinari <email address hidden>

> Glibmm dispatches GMainLoop's sources inside an exception handler. The
> problem here is that a std::bad_alloc exception is thrown by a callback
> and GLibmm aborts the Compiz process.
>
> Going back 1.5 months back in the Unity code using bzr, I can easily
> reproduce that issue, but with the current code I wasn't able to
> reproduce it. I think this bug's been fixed by someone who modified the
> code throwing the std::bad_alloc exception. This bug hasn't received any
> update nor duplicate since more than 1.5 months.
>
> Shouldn't we mark it as fixed?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (761492).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/737792
>
> Title:
> compiz crashed with SIGABRT in Glib::exception_handlers_invoke()
>
> Status in Unity:
> Confirmed
> Status in “compiz” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: compiz
>
> After i've installed my graphics driver the compiz crashed!
> I installed the Nvidia's 3d experimental driver.
> Thanks, the ubuntu 11.04 is becoming very bealtiful. Thanks very much!!
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: compiz-core 1:0.9.4-0ubuntu7
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.35-generic 2.6.38
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> CompizPlugins:
> [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,mousepoll,vpswitch,regex,animation,snap,expo,move,compiztoolbox,place,grid,imgpng,gnomecompat,wall,ezoom,workarounds,staticswitcher,resize,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,scale,session,unityshell]
> CompositorRunning: None
> Date: Fri Mar 18 16:57:43 2011
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: natty
> DistroVariant: ubuntu
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/compiz
> GraphicsCard:
> nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] [10de:0641] (rev a1) (prog-if 00
> [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Device [1acc:915f]
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha i386 (20110301.7)
> InstallationMedia_: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha i386 (20110301.7)
> MachineType: System manufacturer System Product Name
> ProcCmdline: compiz
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=pt_BR:en
> LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-7-generic
> root=UUID=5a0df536-0aab-4b4e-a65f-0a88abfaceeb ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> ProcVersionSignature_: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.35-generic 2.6.38
> Renderer: Unknown
> Signal: 6
> SourcePackage: compiz
> StacktraceTop:
> Glib::exception_handlers_invoke() () from /usr/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1
> Glib::Source::dispatch_vfunc(_GSource*, int (*)(void*), void*) () from
> /usr/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1
> g_main_context_dispatch () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
> ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
> g_main_loop_run () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
> Title: compiz crashed with SIGABRT in Glib::exception_handlers_invoke(...

Read more...

Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-06-01
Changed in unity:
importance: High → Critical
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: High → Critical
David Barth (dbarth) wrote :

Fixed or rather reports of this bug still existing would be invalid. In all cases, this bug is a none issue now.

Changed in unity:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Omer Akram (om26er) on 2011-06-08
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
James Hunt (jamesodhunt) wrote :

Fix appears to have regressed.

Changed in unity:
status: Invalid → New
dino99 (9d9) on 2013-03-22
tags: added: raring
Stephen M. Webb (bregma) on 2013-04-08
Changed in unity:
assignee: Loïc Molinari (loic.molinari) → nobody
Stephen M. Webb (bregma) wrote :

While your symptoms sound similar, you're likely experiencing an unrelated issue. Please file a new bug for it using the command 'ubuntu-bug unity'.

Please see comment #22.

Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.16 → none
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers