BlueZ 4.x resolves two regressions that are seen in the 3.x stack on Intrepid.
* Keyboards aren't able to pair in the UI.
- Reverting to an earlier release of bluez-utils is not a good solution as a lot of bugs were fixed related to Symbian OBEX by coming up to 3.36.
- This happens with the latest version of bluez-gnome (0.28) as well.
* Broken services tab
- In the 3.x stack, the services tab is unfortunately the only way to activate new devices.
- This is fixed in bluez-gnome 0.28 or anything later. However you need to switch to a package in the 1.x series when using the Bluez 4.x stack.
The 4.x version brings an additional UI element, a pairing wizard. This may cause problems for documentation teams, but considering the previous UI was not intuitive, there likely hasn't been a lot of documentation on it.
The entire stack that needs to be changed for this bug is available on the Bluetooth team testing PPA at http://launchpad.net/~bluetooth/+archive .
* Builds are all verified functional for i386, amd64, lpia
* These builds have all been test installed by adding the PPA to an up to date Intrepid and doing a dist-upgrade.
* An upgrade from a base install of hardy to one of intrepid while using the PPA as an active repository was also tested. Modifications had to be made to update-manager to test this behavior (since the PPA is not authenticated). There were no upgrade issues.
* Functionality has been verified for keyboards, mice using both Rocketfish & Apple keyboards and mice.
* Functionality has been verified for OBEX browsing, OBEX sending, and DUN via rfcomm on a Blackberry 8130.
* Functionality has been verified for Audio headsets using the "headset" device.