bluez regression: Bluetooth audio fails to reconnect after resume

Bug #1759628 reported by Ian Turner on 2018-03-28
152
This bug affects 28 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Suse
Fix Released
Medium
bluez (Fedora)
Fix Released
Undecided
bluez (Ubuntu)
Medium
Daniel van Vugt
Bionic
High
Daniel van Vugt

Bug Description

[Impact]

Users of Bluetooth audio have no sound after they suspend and resume the system.

[Test Case]

 1. Connect to Bluetooth audio device
 2. Suspend & Resume
 3. Reconnect to Bluetooth device.

[Regression Potential]

Low. Although common Bluetooth code is modified in the fix, it has been released as a patch in other distros for some time already.

[Other Info]

Already released to cosmic as part of bluez version 5.50.

This regression in bluez 5.48 has already been identified and fixed upstream. Report is here <https://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=151616078627045&w=2> and patch is here <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=d6e9539e31c6bb5afd39ec6f09c518d232e6345d>.

Syslog reports messages as follows when this issue is happening (I have replaced my device's MAC address with [MAC]):
Mar 28 12:34:29 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
Mar 28 12:34:29 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
Mar 28 12:34:33 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
Mar 28 12:34:33 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments

Workaround is to run sudo systemctl restart bluetooth after resume.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
Package: bluez 5.48-0ubuntu3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-12.13-generic 4.15.7
Uname: Linux 4.15.0-12-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: KDE
Date: Wed Mar 28 12:37:11 2018
InstallationDate: Installed on 2018-03-23 (5 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180306.1)
InterestingModules: rfcomm bnep btusb bluetooth
MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP ProBook 640 G1
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.15.0-12-generic root=/dev/mapper/internal-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
SourcePackage: bluez
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 01/25/2018
dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
dmi.bios.version: L78 Ver. 01.43
dmi.board.name: 2101
dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
dmi.board.version: KBC Version 16.3C
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvrL78Ver.01.43:bd01/25/2018:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPProBook640G1:pvrA3009DD10303:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn2101:rvrKBCVersion16.3C:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvr:
dmi.product.family: 103C_5336AN G=N L=BUS B=HP S=PRO
dmi.product.name: HP ProBook 640 G1
dmi.product.version: A3009DD10303
dmi.sys.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
hciconfig:
 hci0: Type: Primary Bus: USB
  BD Address: 80:00:0B:C7:4D:1C ACL MTU: 310:10 SCO MTU: 64:8
  UP RUNNING PSCAN
  RX bytes:5025 acl:32 sco:0 events:202 errors:0
  TX bytes:5785 acl:32 sco:0 commands:103 errors:0

Before upgrading, connecting to bluetooth headset from TaoTronics worked correctly. I also have a cheap bluetooth watch and connecting to it with bluetoothctl worked fine.

Today I updated Tumbleweed to snapshot 20180117 and I observe the following behavior:

1) Connecting to bluetooth headset does not work any more even after a fresh boot. It connects shortly then disconnects. Both with the Plasma widget and with bluetoothctl.
2) Sometimes even after a fresh boot, the plasma widget doesn't show any of the known bluetooth devices
3) Strangely connecting to my bluetooth watch still works with bluetoothctl.

From what I remember, before the update I had bluez-5.47 and now it has been updated to 5.48.

Furthermore there is a similar report here for Fedora: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1534857

The workaround, as indicated in that link, is to restart the bluetooth service with "systemctl restart bluetooth". After that the headset can connect again.

This is on a Dell XPS 13 9333 (different model than the above).

There are already logs in the Fedora ticket, I'll reboot now to try and gather some from here.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Created attachment 756957
Log with errors

I've attached the log from journalctl from the connection failure.

Please note that during the short time where the connection to the headset is done, I can hear a beep in the headset which is an indication from its hardware that the connection was done. However the laptop / bluez somehow decides to disconnect again.

Okay, so I forgot to mention something: I had the module "btusb" blacklisted by default. The reason was mostly to save some power when I don't use bluetooth. I wonder if those Fedora users did the same.

Anyway, now I removed "btusb" from blacklist and rebooted. And now it all works !

This seems to make sense because I suspect that whenever the bluetooth service is started at boot time, it needs btusb to be loaded already. So if you load the module afterwards, you need to restart the service.

At this point, if this is by design, feel free to close as the problem is solved for me.

-----------------------

My bluetooth adapter is built-in, so far so good.

But what happens for people who have bluetooth USB dongles ? Would btusb only load later once the dongle is plugged in ? If that's the case, then the problem I describe *might* happen for said users who might need to restart the bluetooth service.

Now this is marked as regression, it used to work with previous bluez versions. So not sure if this is something to be fixed upstream or whether this slight change of behavior / expectation is by design.

well, blacklisting the driver for the hardware is of course not helping :-)

I think bluetoothd should still pick up devices that are added after starting (hot-plugged USB dongles come to my mind).

Anyway, this is not an openSUSE problem, so I'd kindly ask you to report the issue upstream to the bluez-devel mailinglist at <email address hidden>

Thanks, makes sense.

I just observed that resuming from suspend also causes the issue and requires to restart the bluetooth service.

Thanks for mentioning the mailing list.

It was already reported by someone here on the mailing list: https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg73824.html.

I've sent my own message there which should appear shortly in the archives.

Email discussion and investigation in progress: https://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=151792734112865&w=2

Breaking commit in bluez: d6e9539e31c6bb5afd39ec6f09c518d232e6345d

I have added the patch from commit 1873096352f518d3247f8efb3c2e0aa8804e50ac to the bluez package in home:seife:testing

Could you please test if this fixes the issue for you? If yes, I'll submit this to Factory.

I have tested it and posted here https://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=151815774828197&w=2

If this is the same patch from that email then yes it worked for me!

I'll test the package from your home also and report back.

Tested with bluez package from home:seife:testing and I can confirm that:
- resuming after suspend can properly reconnects the headset
- loading btusb module after restarting bluetooth service works

Thanks, package with patch is on its way to factory.
https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/575486

(And yes, testing the package is IMO important because a) I could have done something wrong integrating the patch and b) maybe it works against git master but not older released code :-)

Of course, makes perfect sense :-)

This is an autogenerated message for OBS integration:
This bug (1076898) was mentioned in
https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/575499 Factory / bluez

the fix has landed in Factory

Ian Turner (vectro) wrote :
no longer affects: bluez
Changed in bluez (Fedora):
importance: Unknown → Undecided
status: Unknown → Fix Released
Changed in suse:
importance: Unknown → Medium
status: Unknown → Fix Released
Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Medium
tags: added: a2dp
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

Thanks for the info.

I think we should patch this into Ubuntu 18.04 _after_ it gets released in 3 weeks.

The reason is that I want to prioritize 18.04 releasing with mature bluez and pulseaudio packages that have not changed in a long time on release day. So there can't be any last-minute surprises. Then after release day we can patch in bug fixes like this one, but will also have the release version to fall back on should anything go wrong.

Also, this bug is not major enough to justify patching this close to release. Even most users of Bluetooth audio I suspect will never notice it.

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt)
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

I can't find any fix that exists upstream yet. It sounds like Red Hat just reverted the problematic commit.

If you can't find out where an upstream fix exists (in git.kernel.org) then please start by creating an upstream bug report for it here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Drivers&component=Bluetooth

And then let us know here what the ID of the new bug is.

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
assignee: Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) → nobody
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

Found it. The fix is bluez commit 1873096352f518d3247f8efb3c2e0aa8804e50ac

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt)
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Guillaume Martres (smarter) wrote :

> Also, this bug is not major enough to justify patching this close to release. Even most users of Bluetooth audio I suspect will never notice it.

I've definitely noticed it. And manually running "sudo systemctl restart bluetooth" everytime I open my laptop is annoying. Is there a way to automate the workaround? (Putting a script in /lib/systemd/system-sleep/ does not seem to work).

Vöggur Guðmundsson (voggur) wrote :

I agree with Guillaume, I can not understand how releasing 18.04 with broken bluetooth and calling it mature version. I would assume that most user are running ubuntu on laptop and will notice it.
I also was under the impression that the purpose of the beta release was to shake out the bugs be for the final release!

Anmar Oueja (anmar) wrote :

As much as I love to have this fixed in the final release, I understand Daniel's hesitation. The point is to try and keep things as stable as possible prior to releasing. Good news it is fixed and it is just a matter of time before it is released.

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

"Mature" means it hasn't changed in a while and we know what bugs it contains. "Mature" does not mean zero bugs, but at least by not changing it at the last minute we don't risk introducing bigger bugs. And this bug is not big at all.

As an example, just today the "gjs" package has blown up with lots of new crashes that didn't exist last week. This was caused by an unnecessary upgrade of a previously mature package, and it looks like it may risk the whole 18.04 release. That is why you shouldn't change things late in the release cycle.

Vöggur Guðmundsson (voggur) wrote :

Now that 18.04 out now, can we have new build of the packet?

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

I just need to find out if we're allowed to try and push v5.49 into bionic, or if we have to cherry pick the fix alone.

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

I take it back. Version 5.49 adds "notable new features also".

So we will push 5.49 to Ubuntu 18.10, and only fix this bug in 18.04.

Julien MARY (jmary) wrote :

So far, I can't wait for 5.49 when 5.46 is fixing my trouble. So I downgraded to have my audio chain usable, which was not the case at with 5.48 : Can't connect at ll my UE BOOM with Dell 5540.

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

I'm not suggesting waiting for 5.49, kind of. This bug will be fixed in an update to 5.48.

Policy however requires that we always fix the development release first. So Ubuntu 18.10 will probably need to receive bluez 5.49 before we can get approval for a bluez 5.48 update to Ubuntu 18.04.

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → In Progress
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

Now available for testing:

https://launchpad.net/~bluetooth/+archive/ubuntu/bluez

Only cosmic is expected to get 5.49 but the above PPA also provides it for bionic if you want to try it out without changing the whole OS :)

Download full text (3.6 KiB)

Awesome!... Thanks Daniel.

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 6:01 AM Daniel van Vugt <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Now available for testing:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~bluetooth/+archive/ubuntu/bluez
>
> Only cosmic is expected to get 5.49 but the above PPA also provides it
> for bionic if you want to try it out without changing the whole OS :)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1759628
>
> Title:
> bluez regression: Bluetooth audio fails to reconnect after resume
>
> Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
> In Progress
> Status in bluez package in Fedora:
> Fix Released
> Status in Suse:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
> 1. Connect to Bluetooth audio device
> 2. Suspend & Resume
> 3. Reconnect to Bluetooth device.
>
> This regression in bluez 5.48 has already been identified and fixed
> upstream. Report is here <https://marc.info/?l=linux-
> bluetooth&m=151616078627045&w=2> and patch is here
> <
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=d6e9539e31c6bb5afd39ec6f09c518d232e6345d
> >.
>
> Syslog reports messages as follows when this issue is happening (I have
> replaced my device's MAC address with [MAC]):
> Mar 28 12:34:29 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c:
> Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
> Mar 28 12:34:29 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error:
> org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
> Mar 28 12:34:33 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c:
> Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
> Mar 28 12:34:33 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error:
> org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
>
> Workaround is to run sudo systemctl restart bluetooth after resume.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
> Package: bluez 5.48-0ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-12.13-generic 4.15.7
> Uname: Linux 4.15.0-12-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: KDE
> Date: Wed Mar 28 12:37:11 2018
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2018-03-23 (5 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64
> (20180306.1)
> InterestingModules: rfcomm bnep btusb bluetooth
> MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP ProBook 640 G1
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.15.0-12-generic
> root=/dev/mapper/internal-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
> SourcePackage: bluez
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 01/25/2018
> dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
> dmi.bios.version: L78 Ver. 01.43
> dmi.board.name: 2101
> dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
> dmi.board.version: KBC Version 16.3C
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvrL78Ver.01.43:bd01/25/2018:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPProBook640G1:pvrA3009DD10303:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn2101:rvrKBCVersion16.3C:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvr:
> dmi.product.family: 103C_5336AN G=N L=BUS B=HP S=PRO
> dmi.product.name: HP ProBook 640 G1
> dmi.produc...

Read more...

svenmeier (sven-meiers) wrote :

Works fine for me with the update from bluez PPA, thanks #29

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Confirmed
Raj Amal (raj-amalw) wrote :

Thanks for the PPA. Working fine in Kubuntu 18.04.

mrvanes (mrvanes) wrote :

Fixed for me using the above mentioned PPA.
Thx!

And I agree with Guillaume that, for me, this was a major annoyance nonetheless...

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → In Progress
nickez (nicke-claesson) wrote :

> Also, this bug is not major enough to justify patching this close to release. Even most users of Bluetooth audio I suspect will never notice it.

This affects anyone using a laptop and bluetooth headset. I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that most end users will never notice it. Before I found the "sudo systemctl restart bluetooth" solution I was adding removing my bluetooth device, restarting pulse and so on. I've installed bluez 5.49.4 from debian which works flawlessy. Thank you for fixing it soon in ubuntu as well.

I've been using the bluez ppa for a while now and I haven't had any issues with it. Before, I'd regularly have connection issues to my bose qc 35. Now, I can always connect immediately, haven't had an issue since.

I also noticed that my headset now connects a lot quicker than with the stock 18.04 bluez.

So I'm really hoping that this can get included in mainline 18.04 as soon as possible, this will make many users happy :)

The upstream commit to fix this issues is this one:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/src/advertising.c?id=1873096352f518d3247f8efb3c2e0aa8804e50ac

I've applied it to Ubuntu's bluez 5.48 and confirmed that it works, as expected.

Please backport!

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

We know. See comment #19.

Any backport to 18.04 is blocked by the requirement that we release to 18.10 first.

And the release to 18.10 is blocked waiting on sponsorship in bug 1759961.

Ian Turner (vectro) wrote :

When you say "sponsorship", are you looking for testing? Or some more official process?

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

"Sponsorship" means I have finished preparing the release but don't have permission to put it into 18.10. So that last step is waiting for someone who has permission to do it.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package bluez - 5.50-0ubuntu1

---------------
bluez (5.50-0ubuntu1) cosmic; urgency=medium

  * New upstream release 5.50:
    - Fix issue with GATT and reading long values.
    - Fix issue with GATT and reading multiple includes.
    - Fix issue with GATT and service changes when offline.
    - Fix issue with handling secondary service discovery.
    - Fix issue with handling persistency of CCC values.
    - Fix issue with handling Mesh session on disconnection.
    - Fix issue with handling Mesh proxy PDU SAR message length.
    - Fix issue with handling Mesh default heartbeat TTL value.
    - Add support for Mesh node-reset operation handling.
    - Add support for GATT authorization request handling.
    - Add support for GATT minimum key size requirements.
    - Add support for GATT server and included services.
    - Add support for handling additional advertising data.
    - Add support for handling separate discoverable state.
    - Add support for enabling HFP version 1.7 features.
    - Add support for dedicated Bluetooth logging daemon.
  * Refreshed debian/patches to work with 5.50 and apply cleanly.
  * Fixed lintian errors:
    - dpkg-maintscript-helper missing in postinst and postrm.
    - Synchronized (some) man pages from Debian.
  * New upstream release 5.49 (LP: #1759961):
    - Fix issue with configuring discoverable advertising flag.
    - Fix issue with bearer selection and single mode controllers.
    - Fix issue with Connect and ConnectProfile returning in progress.
    - Fix issue with missing Paired property change when not bonded.
    - Fix issue with storage for controllers without public address.
    - Fix issue with handling AVCTP disconnecting the channel queue.
    - Fix issue with not clearing connectable setting on power off.
    - Fix issue with creating multiple mgmt socket instances.
    - Fix issue with GATT server and BR/EDR only devices.
    - Fix issue with InterfaceAdded event ordering. (LP: #1759628)
    - Add support for generic ConnectDevice method call.
    - Add support for Mesh heartbeat client functionality.
  * Drop upstreamed patch:
    - fix-lp1750308-upstream-commit-1bf03369.patch

 -- Daniel van Vugt <email address hidden> Wed, 06 Jun 2018 16:26:40 +0800

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released

Will this fix (aka the new package version) be released to the 18.04 repos?

description: updated
description: updated
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

Here's a patch for 18.04.

Next: We await sponsorship of the patch, which means it will enter "bionic-proposed" for testing.

Then: You will all be asked to test the proposed update to verify it works before it reaches other users.

tags: added: patch
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

SRU upload to the bionic queue now

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu Bionic):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt)
status: In Progress → Fix Committed

Hello Ian, or anyone else affected,

Accepted bluez into bionic-proposed. The package will build now and be available at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez/5.48-0ubuntu3.1 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how to enable and use -proposed.Your feedback will aid us getting this update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug, mentioning the version of the package you tested and change the tag from verification-needed-bionic to verification-done-bionic. If it does not fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-failed-bionic. In either case, details of your testing will help us make a better decision.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification . Thank you in advance!

tags: added: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

The fix for 18.04 is now available for testing, in bionic proposed.

If you would like to just download and test the debs directly they are here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez/5.48-0ubuntu3.1/+build/15084683

I downloaded and installed bluez_5.48-0ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb. It seems that the bug is fixed. :)
Thx!

Download full text (3.9 KiB)

I confirm

Bug is fixed. All working fine. automatic reconnect without turning on/off
on my headphones.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM Alexander Lochmann <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> I downloaded and installed bluez_5.48-0ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb. It seems that
> the bug is fixed. :)
> Thx!
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1778506).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1759628
>
> Title:
> bluez regression: Bluetooth audio fails to reconnect after resume
>
> Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in bluez source package in Bionic:
> Fix Committed
> Status in bluez package in Fedora:
> Fix Released
> Status in Suse:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> [Impact]
>
> Users of Bluetooth audio have no sound after they suspend and resume
> the system.
>
> [Test Case]
>
> 1. Connect to Bluetooth audio device
> 2. Suspend & Resume
> 3. Reconnect to Bluetooth device.
>
> [Regression Potential]
>
> Low. Although common Bluetooth code is modified in the fix, it has
> been released as a patch in other distros for some time already.
>
> [Other Info]
>
> Already released to cosmic as part of bluez version 5.50.
>
> This regression in bluez 5.48 has already been identified and fixed
> upstream. Report is here <https://marc.info/?l=linux-
> bluetooth&m=151616078627045&w=2> and patch is here
> <
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=d6e9539e31c6bb5afd39ec6f09c518d232e6345d
> >.
>
> Syslog reports messages as follows when this issue is happening (I have
> replaced my device's MAC address with [MAC]):
> Mar 28 12:34:29 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c:
> Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
> Mar 28 12:34:29 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error:
> org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
> Mar 28 12:34:33 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c:
> Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
> Mar 28 12:34:33 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error:
> org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
>
> Workaround is to run sudo systemctl restart bluetooth after resume.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
> Package: bluez 5.48-0ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-12.13-generic 4.15.7
> Uname: Linux 4.15.0-12-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: KDE
> Date: Wed Mar 28 12:37:11 2018
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2018-03-23 (5 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64
> (20180306.1)
> InterestingModules: rfcomm bnep btusb bluetooth
> MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP ProBook 640 G1
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.15.0-12-generic
> root=/dev/mapper/internal-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
> SourcePackage: bluez
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 01/25/2018
> dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
> dmi.bios.version: L78 Ver. 01.43
> dmi.board.name: 2101
> dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
> dmi.board.version: KBC ...

Read more...

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

Thanks. Someone also needs to scroll up and change the tag from verification-needed-bionic to verification-done-bionic. Ideally someone who has verified the fix.

marvin (mrueppel) wrote :
Download full text (3.9 KiB)

Cant find where?

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:16 AM Daniel van Vugt <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Thanks. Someone also needs to scroll up and change the tag from
> verification-needed-bionic to verification-done-bionic. Ideally someone
> who has verified the fix.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1778506).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1759628
>
> Title:
> bluez regression: Bluetooth audio fails to reconnect after resume
>
> Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in bluez source package in Bionic:
> Fix Committed
> Status in bluez package in Fedora:
> Fix Released
> Status in Suse:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> [Impact]
>
> Users of Bluetooth audio have no sound after they suspend and resume
> the system.
>
> [Test Case]
>
> 1. Connect to Bluetooth audio device
> 2. Suspend & Resume
> 3. Reconnect to Bluetooth device.
>
> [Regression Potential]
>
> Low. Although common Bluetooth code is modified in the fix, it has
> been released as a patch in other distros for some time already.
>
> [Other Info]
>
> Already released to cosmic as part of bluez version 5.50.
>
> This regression in bluez 5.48 has already been identified and fixed
> upstream. Report is here <https://marc.info/?l=linux-
> bluetooth&m=151616078627045&w=2> and patch is here
> <
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=d6e9539e31c6bb5afd39ec6f09c518d232e6345d
> >.
>
> Syslog reports messages as follows when this issue is happening (I have
> replaced my device's MAC address with [MAC]):
> Mar 28 12:34:29 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c:
> Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
> Mar 28 12:34:29 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error:
> org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
> Mar 28 12:34:33 cue pulseaudio[1859]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c:
> Information about device /org/bluez/hci0/dev_[MAC] is invalid
> Mar 28 12:34:33 cue bluetoothd[984]: Endpoint replied with an error:
> org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
>
> Workaround is to run sudo systemctl restart bluetooth after resume.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
> Package: bluez 5.48-0ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-12.13-generic 4.15.7
> Uname: Linux 4.15.0-12-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: KDE
> Date: Wed Mar 28 12:37:11 2018
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2018-03-23 (5 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64
> (20180306.1)
> InterestingModules: rfcomm bnep btusb bluetooth
> MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP ProBook 640 G1
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.15.0-12-generic
> root=/dev/mapper/internal-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=1
> SourcePackage: bluez
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 01/25/2018
> dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
> dmi.bios.version: L78 Ver. 01.43
> dmi.board.name: 2101
> dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
> dmi.board.version: KBC Version 16.3C
> dmi.chas...

Read more...

Ian Turner (vectro) wrote :

This issue is resolved for me in bionic-proposed.

tags: added: verification-done-bionic
removed: verification-needed-bionic
DH (dave-higherform) wrote :

#29 Fix confirmed on Ubuntu 18.04 on Miix 700 / Intel 8260

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

You can ignore comment #29 now. The proper official fix for 18.04 is:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez/5.48-0ubuntu3.1/+build/15084683

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package bluez - 5.48-0ubuntu3.1

---------------
bluez (5.48-0ubuntu3.1) bionic; urgency=medium

  * Add fix-lp1759628-upstream-commit-1873096352.patch to fix loss of
    audio on suspend/resume (LP: #1759628)

 -- Daniel van Vugt <email address hidden> Fri, 22 Jun 2018 17:27:15 +0800

Changed in bluez (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

The verification of the Stable Release Update for bluez has completed successfully and the package has now been released to -updates. Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report. In the event that you encounter a regression using the package from -updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.