'Music library not found' message returned when no search results are returned

Bug #622313 reported by Andreas Schildbach on 2010-08-22
28
This bug affects 6 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
One Hundred Papercuts
Low
Bertrand Lorentz
banshee (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: banshee

When the user performs a search that yields no results, the message "Please move your music to /home/<username>/Music" is returned. This is an error and this message should only be returned when there is no music contained in the default music directory.

This is misleading as the music is already in this location. It should read

"Sorry, no results found"

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: banshee 1.7.3-2ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-17.23-generic 2.6.35.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-17-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Sun Aug 22 17:53:34 2010
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=C
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: banshee

Andreas Schildbach (schildbach) wrote :
Andreas Schildbach (schildbach) wrote :

@Jeff no, it's not. Bug 619303 is about the message not being translated, this bug is about it being useless in certain scenarios.

Jeff (jdorenbush) wrote :

@Andreas, Okay thanks for clarifying.

Thankfully I was able to get around the message and get my music playlist back. I reset my directory in Banshee today and the message disappeared. Hopefully I don't see the message anymore...

Victor Vargas (kamus) wrote :

I am not able to reproduce this issue with 1.8.0 release of Banshee, just for the first time this message is displayed so please could you upgrade your version and check if is still affecting you? Thanks.

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Scott Beamer (angrykeyboarder) wrote :

@Kamus Well I have been able to reproduce it 1.8.0. That's what brought me here..

Ron Alleva (ron-alleva) wrote :

I got this error once in banshee also. However, I just closed and restarted banshee, and all seemed well.

Victor Vargas (kamus) wrote :

this message is just for the first time I guess, anyway, shall we close this bug or are you still facing same issue every time you started banshee?

On Wednesday 24,November,2010 04:48 AM, Kamus wrote:
> this message is just for the first time I guess, anyway, shall we close
> this bug or are you still facing same issue every time you started
> banshee?
>

No. This bug happens when the search filter yields no results, which is
erroneous. This is a result of a distro patch, but I'm not sure how to go about
fixing it.

  status triaged

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged

On Banshee 1.9.0 on Maverick using the unstable PPA, this but is still present.

Jack (jackhynes) wrote :

The main problem here is that when you search for music and there are no results it says that error message at the bottom. Don't tell me "Please move your music to /home/<username>/Music" when I can't find a song I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot for reporting this, however a paper cut should be a small design flaw that causes problems for the average user on a regular basic. Storing a media library on a DAAP server is not something that the average user is likely to do, so this cannot be a paper cut.

Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: New → Invalid

After an email conversation I realise that I misunderstood the nature of this bug, and it is in fact a paper cut.

Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: Invalid → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Low

I've examined the source code from both lp:ubuntu/banshee and git://git.gnome.org/banshee and the offending error message does not appear in the Gnome version, but it does in the Ubuntu version, which means this is a Debian issue. I'll forward it upstream accordingly.

On Friday 21,January,2011 08:43 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I've examined the source code from both lp:ubuntu/banshee and
> git://git.gnome.org/banshee and the offending error message does not
> appear in the Gnome version, but it does in the Ubuntu version, which
> means this is a Debian issue. I'll forward it upstream accordingly.

You don't have to. I look at bugs on both sides. More importantly, the offending
code was meant to add the message only when there are no items in the library.

The patch can be found in
debian/patches/05_show-a-empty-library-message-in-banshee.patch in the Debian
and Ubuntu source trees. If you can amend the patch to display that message only
when appropriate, I would be very grateful.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Changed in hundredpapercuts:
assignee: nobody → Papercuts Ninja (papercuts-ninja)
milestone: none → nt1-music
description: updated
summary: - useless "Please move your music to /home/<username>/Music" message
+ Message returned when no search results are found is unfortunately
+ worded
summary: - Message returned when no search results are found is unfortunately
- worded
+ Message returned when no search results is found is unfortunately worded

Chow, if you don't want it sent upstream, how would you like me to deliver the patch? Would you like a diff (or debdiff) attached here?

summary: - Message returned when no search results is found is unfortunately worded
+ 'Music library not found' message returned when no search results are
+ returned
description: updated
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
assignee: Papercuts Ninja (papercuts-ninja) → Chris Wilson (notgary)
Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Chris Wilson (notgary)

On Friday 21,January,2011 09:25 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Chow, if you don't want it sent upstream, how would you like me to
> deliver the patch? Would you like a diff (or debdiff) attached here?

Just the new patch would do. If you gave a debdiff, I'd still just extract the
patch for uploading to Debian anyway.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Chow Loong Jin (hyperair) wrote :

Okay, I forgot to mention this, but there is a bug upstream[1] tracking that
patch. You should also submit the revised patch to that bug report.

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=623588

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Unassigning myself. I don't have time to work on this.

Changed in hundredpapercuts:
assignee: Chris Wilson (notgary) → nobody
Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
assignee: Chris Wilson (notgary) → nobody
Vish (vish) on 2011-02-08
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
assignee: nobody → Papercuts Ninja (papercuts-ninja)

This patch improves on the one currently applied in the Ubuntu package by disconnecting the event handler once
there are tracks in the library. This means that the message will not be shown if searches return no tracks.

It also makes the message translatable, which is this other bug :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/619303

And yes, I'm an upstream dev improving a distro patch... ;)

Chow Loong Jin (hyperair) wrote :

On Friday 15,April,2011 06:01 PM, Bertrand Lorentz wrote:
> This patch improves on the one currently applied in the Ubuntu package by disconnecting the event handler once
> there are tracks in the library. This means that the message will not be shown if searches return no tracks.
>
> It also makes the message translatable, which is this other bug :
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/619303

Woo, thanks! But this depends on the LibraryWatcher to be relevant at all, which
has a bunch of issues (see Bug #760902).

Perhaps we should shift the patch to the LibraryWatcher extension instead, so
that the message only appears when the LibraryWatcher extension is enabled? This
would also allow it to go upstream, won't it?

>
> And yes, I'm an upstream dev improving a distro patch... ;)

Commit it already, won't you? ;-)

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

tags: added: patch
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package banshee - 2.0.0-2ubuntu1

---------------
banshee (2.0.0-2ubuntu1) natty; urgency=low

  * [d07fe37] Merge from Debian Unstable, remaining changes:
    + Enable SoundMenu and Disable NotificationArea by default
    + Disable boo and karma extensions
    + Enable and recommnd u1ms and soundmenu extensions
    + Move desktop file for Meego UI to /usr/share/une/applications
    + Change the url for the Amazon store redirector
    + Create the U1MS widget earlier and bump libu1 requirement

banshee (2.0.0-2) unstable; urgency=low

  [ Chow Loong Jin ]
  * [8ee2dd2] Set compression to bz2
  * [0ffc007] Disable dh_makeclilibs
  * [a9bdd15] Update copyright file to dep-5
  * [8c123e8] Don't enable librarywatcher by default (LP: #760902, #622313)
  * [0d952b6] Refresh 08_remove_unrelevant_media.patch

  [ Christopher James Halse Rogers ]
  * [5809dc3] Cherry-pick CPU-usage reduction patches from stable-2.0
  * [920dd3e] Bump GIO# build-depend to ensure we build against the fixed
    package

banshee (2.0.0-1ubuntu3) natty; urgency=low

  * 11_reduce_cpu_usage.patch:
    - Cherry pick two commits from the stable-2.0 branch reducing Banshee's
      CPU use while playing by about 50%.
  * Bump build-depend on GIO# to ensure we pick up the fix for a nasty leak.
 -- Chow Loong Jin <email address hidden> Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:38:56 +0800

Changed in banshee (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Vish (vish) on 2011-04-18
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
assignee: Papercuts Ninja (papercuts-ninja) → Bertrand Lorentz (bertrand-lorentz)
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Marcus Haslam (marcus-haslam) wrote :

I'm out of the office until 1st August.

On 18 Apr 2011, at 20:08, Vish <email address hidden> wrote:

> ** Changed in: hundredpapercuts
>       Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>
> ** Changed in: hundredpapercuts
>     Assignee: Papercuts Ninja (papercuts-ninja) => Bertrand Lorentz
> (bertrand-lorentz)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> Papercutters, which is subscribed to One Hundred Paper Cuts.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/622313
>
> Title:
>  'Music library not found' message returned when no search results are
>  returned
>
> Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
>  Fix Released
> Status in “banshee” package in Ubuntu:
>  Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
>  Binary package hint: banshee
>
>  When the user performs a search that yields no results, the message
>  "Please move your music to /home/<username>/Music" is returned. This
>  is an error and this message should only be returned when there is no
>  music contained in the default music directory.
>
>  This is misleading as the music is already in this location. It
> should
>  read
>
>  "Sorry, no results found"
>
>  ProblemType: Bug
>  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
>  Package: banshee 1.7.3-2ubuntu2
>  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-17.23-generic 2.6.35.2
>  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-17-generic i686
>  Architecture: i386
>  Date: Sun Aug 22 17:53:34 2010
>  ProcEnviron:
>   LANG=C
>   SHELL=/bin/bash
>  SourcePackage: banshee

Marcus Haslam (marcus-haslam) wrote :

I'm out of the office until 1st August.

On 18 Apr 2011, at 17:02, Launchpad Bug Tracker <<email address hidden>
 > wrote:

> This bug was fixed in the package banshee - 2.0.0-2ubuntu1
>
> ---------------
> banshee (2.0.0-2ubuntu1) natty; urgency=low
>
>  * [d07fe37] Merge from Debian Unstable, remaining changes:
>    + Enable SoundMenu and Disable NotificationArea by default
>    + Disable boo and karma extensions
>    + Enable and recommnd u1ms and soundmenu extensions
>    + Move desktop file for Meego UI to /usr/share/une/applications
>    + Change the url for the Amazon store redirector
>    + Create the U1MS widget earlier and bump libu1 requirement
>
> banshee (2.0.0-2) unstable; urgency=low
>
>  [ Chow Loong Jin ]
>  * [8ee2dd2] Set compression to bz2
>  * [0ffc007] Disable dh_makeclilibs
>  * [a9bdd15] Update copyright file to dep-5
>  * [8c123e8] Don't enable librarywatcher by default (LP: #760902,
> #622313)
>  * [0d952b6] Refresh 08_remove_unrelevant_media.patch
>
>  [ Christopher James Halse Rogers ]
>  * [5809dc3] Cherry-pick CPU-usage reduction patches from stable-2.0
>  * [920dd3e] Bump GIO# build-depend to ensure we build against the
> fixed
>    package
>
> banshee (2.0.0-1ubuntu3) natty; urgency=low
>
>  * 11_reduce_cpu_usage.patch:
>    - Cherry pick two commits from the stable-2.0 branch reducing
> Banshee's
>      CPU use while playing by about 50%.
>  * Bump build-depend on GIO# to ensure we pick up the fix for a
> nasty leak.
> -- Chow Loong Jin <email address hidden>   Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:38:56
> +0800
>
> ** Changed in: banshee (Ubuntu)
>       Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> Papercutters, which is subscribed to One Hundred Paper Cuts.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/622313
>
> Title:
>  'Music library not found' message returned when no search results are
>  returned
>
> Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
>  Triaged
> Status in “banshee” package in Ubuntu:
>  Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
>  Binary package hint: banshee
>
>  When the user performs a search that yields no results, the message
>  "Please move your music to /home/<username>/Music" is returned. This
>  is an error and this message should only be returned when there is no
>  music contained in the default music directory.
>
>  This is misleading as the music is already in this location. It
> should
>  read
>
>  "Sorry, no results found"
>
>  ProblemType: Bug
>  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
>  Package: banshee 1.7.3-2ubuntu2
>  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-17.23-generic 2.6.35.2
>  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-17-generic i686
>  Architecture: i386
>  Date: Sun Aug 22 17:53:34 2010
>  ProcEnviron:
>   LANG=C
>   SHELL=/bin/bash
>  SourcePackage: banshee

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.