Apache 2.2.14 Server Status no longer available

Bug #1077434 reported by Richard de Rivaz on 2012-11-10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
apache2 (Ubuntu)
RIki Heryuno

Bug Description

Having upgraded Apache today to 2.2.14 the server status request ( now produces the following error:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: apache2 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.10
PackageArchitecture: i386
 PATH=(custom, no user)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-45.99-generic
Tags: lucid
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-45-generic i686
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare

CVE References

Robie Basak (racb) wrote :

Thank you for your report.

I've failed to reproduce this on Lucid. works for me. I also installed apache2 on Hardy, verified that server-status works, upgraded to Lucid and verified that it still works.

Please can you explain why you think this is a bug, rather than a configuration issue on your system? Have you tried using https as the error message describes? If this is a configuration issue, there are pointers to get help here: http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community.

Since it seems likely that this is a configuration issue related to your upgrade and related SSL configuration, and not a bug, I'm marking this bug as Invalid.

If you believe that this is really a bug, then you may find it helpful to read "How to report bugs effectively" http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html. We'd be grateful if you would then provide a more complete description of the problem, including steps to reproduce, and then change the bug status back to New.

Changed in apache2 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
Richard de Rivaz (richard-mdr) wrote :

Thank you for your response and for carrying out these checks.

Just to clarify, I am running Lucid 10.04 and server status had been working fine for years. I saw that Apache had been updated as part of the normal updates and thereafter server status came up with the error. No changes were made by me to the configuration file. If I issued the request the following error comes up:

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

The fact that I had made no configuration changes and server status was no longer available as well as the https error looked to me to be a bug/problem that had been introduced by the upgrade.

Robie Basak (racb) wrote :

Sorry, based on your original description I was under the impression that you had upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, rather than having just applied an update within the same release.

There was a recent SSL-related security update:

  * SECURITY UPDATE: CRIME attack ssl attack (LP: #1068854)
    - debian/patches/303_CVE-2012-4929.dpatch: backport SSLCompression
      on|off directive. Defaults to off as enabling compression enables the
      CRIME attack.
    - CVE-2012-4929

I wonder if this is related.

Changed in apache2 (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → New
Robie Basak (racb) wrote :

Please can you run "apport-collect 1077434" in a terminal on an affected system, which will collect accurate version information and attach it to the bug?

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected
description: updated
Richard de Rivaz (richard-mdr) wrote :

This feedback was produced when running apport:

The authorization page:
should be opening in your browser. After you have authorized
this program to access Launchpad on your behalf you should come
back here and press <Enter> to finish the authentication process.
[19460:19481:1115/070608:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(608)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[19460:19481:1115/070608:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(608)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[19460:19460:1115/070613:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(513)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.Mtpd.EnumerateStorage: object_path= /org/chromium/Mtpd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.chromium.Mtpd was not provided by any .service files
[19460:19460:1115/070614:ERROR:nacl_browser.cc(208)] Failed to open NaCl IRT file "/opt/google/chrome/nacl_ipc_irt_x86_32.nexe": -4
[19504:19504:1115/070616:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(383)] GLX 1.3 or later is required.
[19504:19504:1115/070616:ERROR:gl_surface_linux.cc(58)] GLSurfaceGLX::InitializeOneOff failed.
[19504:19504:1115/070616:ERROR:sandbox_init_linux.cc(32)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process

Robie Basak (racb) on 2012-11-15
Changed in apache2 (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
Changed in apache2 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
assignee: nobody → RIki Heryuno (rikiheryunor)
Changed in apache2 (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Andreas Hasenack (ahasenack) wrote :

I'm sorry this bug stayed open for so long without further comments. That being said, the affected versions have long since been in a end-of-life state. I'm going to mark this as "invalid" because of the lack of further information.

Changed in apache2 (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers