[indicators] Impossible to disable cellular data from indicator

Bug #1373463 reported by PEIGNOT Kévin
286
This bug affects 63 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Canonical System Image
High
Alejandro J. Cura
Ubuntu UX
Medium
Matthew Paul Thomas
indicator-network (Ubuntu)
High
Antti Kaijanmäki
ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu)
High
Antti Kaijanmäki

Bug Description

I was wondering : Why it isn't possible to disable data from the network indicator ? Probably with a switch button that offer the choice between no data or data activated (with the last data activated state (2g only or 2G,3G,4G).

Why this ? Because it's the first setting to change to save battery, and probably one of the most used (I asked around me, everyone agreed they would prefer that over Wi-Fi if only one was possible).

I think it's stupid to go to the settings app for the most common action (and very frustrating). Of course, this also apply for the battery setting page (that already contain Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and brightness settings).

I asked that on the phone ML, I've been invited to file a wishlist bug there to "help" designers with next iteration of network indicator. So here it is !

[1] : mailing list discussion with already some support to this idea : https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg09910.html

Related branches

Revision history for this message
Jelmer Prins (justcarakas) wrote :

I also think it is too time consuming to go to the settings every time I want to turn it off
I do this a lot on my android for battery saving

Changed in indicator-network:
status: New → Opinion
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
Changed in ubuntu-ux:
status: New → Opinion
status: Opinion → Invalid
status: Invalid → New
tags: added: need-design
Changed in indicator-network:
status: Opinion → Triaged
Jimmy L (ubuntouch-fr)
Changed in indicator-network:
assignee: nobody → Lejeune (lejeunejimmy)
assignee: Lejeune (lejeunejimmy) → nobody
Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote :

For me, the design proposed by @mpt for settings-app [1] regarding cellular data activation would be perfect in the indicator (just the data activation part).

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Networking#phone-cellular

Revision history for this message
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

Could someone please find statistics on battery consumption when cellular data is on vs. off? I wasn't aware there was any difference at all.

Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote :

I actually don't find any statistics but lot of websites advising to disable mobile data with GPS or Wi-Fi to avoid finishing out of battery. Here are few of them :

http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-save-battery-life
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/uses-battery-3g-wifi-27139.html
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/mobile-devices/tp/How-To-Improve-Your-Cell-Phone-Battery-Life.htm

If I find statistics I will give you them. But you will find that it's very often advised to prefer Wi-Fi over cellular data to save battery : this prove that cellular data uses even more power than Wi-Fi (it depends, of course, how much you receive these two networks : a very good cellular is better than bad Wi-Fi, but when you are moving (train, car...), you often pass by bad cellular network.

More of that, another reason that make cellular data using more power is that, when you have it enabled, there are a lot of background process that use the cellular network to share data (searching updates, mail, twitter notifications...), and of course, to send data, the phone use battery it wouldn't used if it didn't send these.

I "test" a lot of time in the train to go back home (ie when I forgot to switch off data) : with cellular data, I don't have battery at the end, without data, I still have some.

Changed in ubuntu-ux:
assignee: nobody → Vesa Rautiainen (vesar)
summary: - Impossible to disable cellular data from indicator
+ [indicators] Impossible to disable cellular data from indicator
Revision history for this message
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

Yes, *using* Wi-Fi uses less battery than *using* cellular data. But that does not mean turning off cellular data manually would noticably save battery. If you're using Wi-Fi, the cellular data modem should be mostly asleep, waking up occasionally to check for MMS (the one thing Wi-Fi can't do). And Ubuntu Touch, probably unlike your current phone, is currently extremely strict on what apps can do in the background; a mail or Twitter app couldn't update in the background, for example.

Having said all that, a cellular data switch might be worthwhile, I'd just like to see some evidence. Every little thing added to indicator menus makes them a little more similar to System Settings, which makes the overall mental model of the phone a little more confusing.

Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote : Re: [Bug 1373463] Re: [indicators] Impossible to disable cellular data from indicator

I am using Ubuntu on my primary phone so I can confirm that disabling
cellular data save battery, and a lot (less than on Android it's sure).

Then, I'm all the day on the road, in places with by coverage generally
(mountains), so disabling cellular data is really an important battery
saver for me (and every one, even if they are on Android, in my team). I
often forget to disable Wi-Fi and it doesn't use as much battery.

I don't know how Ubuntu manage this, but probably, if Ubuntu switch to 2G
only when there is no data (it's not really clear with current design), it
would explain why it's save so much battery for me (more of that, no 4G, so
everything with in 3G, the worst for battery)

I understand that every little think added add more clutter to the
indicator, and so it lose interest. Do you know if there is a tool to
measure battery usage ?

Kévin

2014-09-29 17:04 GMT+02:00 Matthew Paul Thomas <email address hidden>:

> Yes, *using* Wi-Fi uses less battery than *using* cellular data. But
> that does not mean turning off cellular data manually would noticably
> save battery. If you're using Wi-Fi, the cellular data modem should be
> mostly asleep, waking up occasionally to check for MMS (the one thing
> Wi-Fi can't do). And Ubuntu Touch, probably unlike your current phone,
> is currently extremely strict on what apps can do in the background; a
> mail or Twitter app couldn't update in the background, for example.
>
> Having said all that, a cellular data switch might be worthwhile, I'd
> just like to see some evidence. Every little thing added to indicator
> menus makes them a little more similar to System Settings, which makes
> the overall mental model of the phone a little more confusing.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1373463
>
> Title:
> [indicators] Impossible to disable cellular data from indicator
>
> Status in Network Menu:
> Triaged
> Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> I was wondering : Why it isn't possible to disable data from the
> network indicator ? Probably with a switch button that offer the
> choice between no data or data activated (with the last data activated
> state (2g only or 2G,3G,4G).
>
> Why this ? Because it's the first setting to change to save battery,
> and probably one of the most used (I asked around me, everyone agreed
> they would prefer that over Wi-Fi if only one was possible).
>
> I think it's stupid to go to the settings app for the most common
> action (and very frustrating). Of course, this also apply for the
> battery setting page (that already contain Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and
> brightness settings).
>
> I asked that on the phone ML, I've been invited to file a wishlist bug
> there to "help" designers with next iteration of network indicator. So
> here it is !
>
> [1] : mailing list discussion with already some support to this idea :
> https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg09910.html
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-network/+bug/1373463/+subscriptions
>

Changed in ubuntu-ux:
status: New → Triaged
Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote :

So maybe a simple switch from 3G to 2G ?

This is something we often do (with disabling cellular data) to save battery, in bad coverage places (again : Mountain). I work for orange, the main operator in France, and that's something we advise our customer to do

Ted Gould (ted)
Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
status: New → Triaged
Changed in ubuntu-ux:
importance: Undecided → Medium
Revision history for this message
Jelmer Prins (justcarakas) wrote :

what is the status of this ?
I'm using ubuntu touch daily on my phone and this is one of the things I really miss

Revision history for this message
Alberto Mardegan (mardy) wrote :

One option would be to have just a switch in the indicator, called "Internet connection" and which can be turned on or off, replacing the current "Wi-fi" option. When enabled, the list of wifi access points would appear below it, and also the mobile connections for the two sims, if available (if one of the SIMs is in roaming, and in System Settings the user has chosen not to use mobile data in roaming, that SIM connection should not appear).

Then, in the System Settings, there could be more options, such as whether to prefer wi-fi over a mobile connection and switch to it whenever available.

Revision history for this message
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

I still think that this is asking people to fiddle around doing something that the phone should be doing itself. In particular, I still would like answers to these questions:
1. How does battery consumption compare with cellular data on vs. off?
2. When Wi-Fi is connected, does the cellular modem go into any kind of low-power mode? If not, why not?

Revision history for this message
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

It's also one of the settings I use most on my android phone, especially when travelling. I want to keep data off for safety reasons but I need to opt in every now and then to download an email or check some info, I usually do switch data on, do what I need and turn it off directly

Pete Woods (pete-woods)
no longer affects: indicator-network
Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote :

Once again, I read a review of Ubuntu Touch (on the french website tablette tactile) and the only problem they have with the top bar, is the impossibility to disable cellular data... http://www.tablette-tactile.net/test/ubuntu-touch-os-165872/ . Really I can't understand why it's not integrated in the network menu...

Revision history for this message
Alberto Mardegan (mardy) wrote :

Matthew, I don't think this is a problem with battery consumption. It might be that it affects it, but I honestly don't care too much.

My problem is just that I want to be able to turn on and off the internet connection from the indicator; whether the internet connection is WiFi or 3g, it's of secondary importance.

The reason why I want to do that is because sometimes I just don't want my phone to be active on the internet. Like, when I sit in front of my PC and I use the Telegram application in it, I don't want to receive a notification on my phone whenever someone writes me, if I have Telegram just opened in front of me on my desktop!
Same for Twitter, GMail, and all other notifications. I just want to be offline with my phone, if I'm online with my PC.

Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote :

Hi Matthew, all,

There is still another reason : lot of people have limited data usage
(like 1 GiB a month or 50 MiB...) and they wan't to be able to save as
much data as possible. On little levels (20, 50 MiB), every KiloByte
count...

Kévin

Le 09/04/2015 13:31, Alberto Mardegan a écrit :
> Matthew, I don't think this is a problem with battery consumption. It
> might be that it affects it, but I honestly don't care too much.
>
> My problem is just that I want to be able to turn on and off the
> internet connection from the indicator; whether the internet connection
> is WiFi or 3g, it's of secondary importance.
>
> The reason why I want to do that is because sometimes I just don't want my phone to be active on the internet. Like, when I sit in front of my PC and I use the Telegram application in it, I don't want to receive a notification on my phone whenever someone writes me, if I have Telegram just opened in front of me on my desktop!
> Same for Twitter, GMail, and all other notifications. I just want to be offline with my phone, if I'm online with my PC.
>

Revision history for this message
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

The reason I asked for data on battery consumption is that it's the first issue cited in the bug description. Either it's a real issue or it isn't. If it is, producing data on it should be easy. If it isn't, data usage isn't "another reason"; it is, at most, the only reason. And as with battery usage, requiring the human to know and remember to fiddle with a switch would be the least reliable way of solving it. For example, if Telegram continues sending phone notifications when you are actively using Telegram on a PC, that is a bug in the app. Have you reported it?

That people commonly do something, or Web sites commonly advise something, does not mean it's a good idea. For example, millions of people routinely quit all background apps on their phone, because it's easy to do, and they think it saves battery, but it actually wastes battery. Making bad things easy to do is bad design.

Revision history for this message
Alberto Mardegan (mardy) wrote :

On 04/13/2015 11:57 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> with a switch would be the least reliable way of solving it. For
> example, if Telegram continues sending phone notifications when you are
> actively using Telegram on a PC, that is a bug in the app. Have you
> reported it?

No, because I know it's not fixable. Well, it might be possible to fix
it for Telegram, which is open source, but the generic problem remains:
for Twitter and GMail, for example, there is no way to know that we are
logged in from another device too.
But I don't want to get notifications from GMail and Twitter on my
phone, when I'm actively using them on the PC.

Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote :

Disabling sync/notification/data isn't needed only when I'm working on
my computer, but if I'm walking in mountain, I don't care and I don't
wan't Gmail, Twitter etc to sync, because I absolutely don't wan't
notifications, but I wan't to save battery. I must leave my phone
powered on, to receive calls if someone in the group has a problem, or
if I need to phone to rescue fast, but I don't wan't useless services. I
will not be able to charge battery for a few time, and in theses case,
my smartphone just has to be... a phone ! Then maybe I will need an
information (on meteo etc) then I will wake cellular data, but just for
this shoirt time and I don't wan't to have it awake all the time.

This is even more important at work : I use an internal webapp for
working (taking my job and some tests), but usually I have no use of any
kind of data (or sync) like mails etc. Cellular data is not a service I
use H24, but a service I need one or two times a day, and I need to save
battery and data consumption rest of the time.

Kévin PEIGNOT

Le 13/04/2015 15:21, Alberto Mardegan a écrit :
> On 04/13/2015 11:57 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>> with a switch would be the least reliable way of solving it. For
>> example, if Telegram continues sending phone notifications when you are
>> actively using Telegram on a PC, that is a bug in the app. Have you
>> reported it?
> No, because I know it's not fixable. Well, it might be possible to fix
> it for Telegram, which is open source, but the generic problem remains:
> for Twitter and GMail, for example, there is no way to know that we are
> logged in from another device too.
> But I don't want to get notifications from GMail and Twitter on my
> phone, when I'm actively using them on the PC.
>

Vesa Rautiainen (vesar)
Changed in ubuntu-ux:
assignee: Vesa Rautiainen (vesar) → Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
Revision history for this message
Alberto Mardegan (mardy) wrote :

Recently I've been woken up a couple of times during the night because someone from Asia mentioned me on twitter (by mistake) and because of e-mails I've been receiving during the night. All these events trigger notifications, which wake me up.

Please save my sleep :-)

Revision history for this message
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

Audio notifications waking you up is bug 1434072. That doesn't have anything to do with cellular data; exactly the same would happen with wi-fi.

Revision history for this message
Randall Ross (randall) wrote :

Screenshot of how competing system handles disabling/limiting cellular data connection is attached.

Revision history for this message
Robin Heroldich (robinheroldich) wrote :

Hey all!

I have been using a Bq Aquaris E4.5 phone as my daily driver for more than 10 months and I really love it. Last month my mother's phone was broken, so we needed to look for a new one. And we've bought a Bq Aquaris E5 to her. She really likes it. The only problem is that she has a SIM card with a very low amount of mobile data (50MB) and she easily runs out of this limit if she doesn't turned mobile data off when she doesn't use it. But on the Network Indicator there are switches only for Airplane mode, WiFi and Hotspot, there isn't any for Mobile data. So she needs to open System Settings everytime when she wants to enable or disable it. Is there a reason behind the decision to there's no switch for this purpose? If no, could you provide a switch for mobile data on this indicator too? She and I would really pleased. Thanks.

p.s.: Thanks everyone for you hard work.

Revision history for this message
Pat McGowan (pat-mcgowan) wrote :

My two cents: I see 3 different requests in the bug:

Data toggle to save battery - in my opinion based on usage/testing, this is not needed as the system is efficiently managing power states and suspending, battery life is quite good with all radios enabled

Alerts from social media - thats what silent mode is about? or enable flight mode to avoid all interruptions

Limiting unwanted data usage on the cell network - this seems very reasonable to me and I would be in favor of adding that toggle given the number of requests we have seen

Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
assignee: nobody → Alejandro J. Cura (alecu)
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
milestone: none → ww08-2016
status: New → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
Selene ToyKeeper (toykeeper) wrote :

Just a +1 for this feature.

My preferred default phone state is to turn on calls and sms, but turn off all other radios (cell data, wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc). It'd be nice to be able to quickly turn cell data on for the few minutes at a time when I actually want it, then quickly turn it off again. I don't particularly want the phone doing anything online when I haven't requested it.

Revision history for this message
Alberto Mardegan (mardy) wrote :

On 20/01/2016 23:04, Pat McGowan wrote:
> Alerts from social media - thats what silent mode is about? or enable
> flight mode to avoid all interruptions

It can be social media or e-mail too: when I'm working in front of my
desktop, I want my phone to be offline (internet-wise), so that it
doesn't disturb me for e-mail or social network notifications (which I
already receive in my desktop).
But I still want to be alerted if I receive SMSes or phone calls, so
neither silent mode or flight mode is the solution here.

Revision history for this message
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

Randall, that screenshot is not relevant to this bug report. It is of Android's Settings app -- but the equivalent screen in Ubuntu's System Settings already has a switch for cellular data. On the Android 5.0 phone I just tested, you can get to that screen by tapping the Cellular icon in Android's quick settings panel -- but you can get to the equivalent screen in Ubuntu by tapping "Cellular Settings" in the network menu, so there's no practical difference there, either. (Or if there is, it's that System Settings takes too long to open, which would be a problem for dozens of access points, not just this one.)

Android's quick settings panel does not have a toggle for cellular data. <https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6111329> Neither does iOS's Control Center. <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202769> And neither does Ubuntu's indicator menus. I emphasize this because Jelmer's and Sebastien's mentions of Android might have given the impression that Android has what people are asking for here, when it does not. The only platform that does, that I know of, is Windows 10 Mobile. <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-notifications-mobile>

Turning off cellular data would not stop you from getting notifications through wi-fi, or from on-device events such as reminders; if you want to pause notifications you need something like a Do Not Disturb mode. <https://goo.gl/yoiVKM> Nor is it a viable way to ensure that you continue getting phone calls, since the proportion of phone calls that use PSTN is only going to decline, as is already happening with the proportion of messages that use SMS. <https://goo.gl/vkJldD> And for limiting data use to a quota, much more effective would be to tell you how much you've used so far (bug 1287267), and to provide the option to cut it off automatically before you reach the limit (bug 1292930).

Revision history for this message
Jelmer Prins (justcarakas) wrote :
Download full text (3.6 KiB)

On the android version on my nexus 4 there IS a toggle in the quick settings to turn my mobile internet on/off

> On 22 Jan 2016, at 14:50, Matthew Paul Thomas <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Randall, that screenshot is not relevant to this bug report. It is of
> Android's Settings app -- but the equivalent screen in Ubuntu's System
> Settings already has a switch for cellular data. On the Android 5.0
> phone I just tested, you can get to that screen by tapping the Cellular
> icon in Android's quick settings panel -- but you can get to the
> equivalent screen in Ubuntu by tapping "Cellular Settings" in the
> network menu, so there's no practical difference there, either. (Or if
> there is, it's that System Settings takes too long to open, which would
> be a problem for dozens of access points, not just this one.)
>
> Android's quick settings panel does not have a toggle for cellular data.
> <https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6111329> Neither does iOS's
> Control Center. <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202769> And neither
> does Ubuntu's indicator menus. I emphasize this because Jelmer's and
> Sebastien's mentions of Android might have given the impression that
> Android has what people are asking for here, when it does not. The only
> platform that does, that I know of, is Windows 10 Mobile.
> <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-notifications-
> mobile>
>
> Turning off cellular data would not stop you from getting notifications
> through wi-fi, or from on-device events such as reminders; if you want
> to pause notifications you need something like a Do Not Disturb mode.
> <https://goo.gl/yoiVKM> Nor is it a viable way to ensure that you
> continue getting phone calls, since the proportion of phone calls that
> use PSTN is only going to decline, as is already happening with the
> proportion of messages that use SMS. <https://goo.gl/vkJldD> And for
> limiting data use to a quota, much more effective would be to tell you
> how much you've used so far (bug 1287267), and to provide the option to
> cut it off automatically before you reach the limit (bug 1292930).
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1373463
>
> Title:
> [indicators] Impossible to disable cellular data from indicator
>
> Status in Canonical System Image:
> Confirmed
> Status in Ubuntu UX:
> Triaged
> Status in indicator-network package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> I was wondering : Why it isn't possible to disable data from the
> network indicator ? Probably with a switch button that offer the
> choice between no data or data activated (with the last data activated
> state (2g only or 2G,3G,4G).
>
> Why this ? Because it's the first setting to change to save battery,
> and probably one of the most used (I asked around me, everyone agreed
> they would prefer that over Wi-Fi if only one was possible).
>
> I think it's stupid to go to the settings app for the most common
> action (and very frustrating). Of course, this also apply for the
> battery setting page (that already contain Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and
> brightness settings...

Read more...

Revision history for this message
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

Ah, that's the difficulty of talking "Android", it's a movable feast. :-) There *is* a cellular data toggle in the quick settings for Samsung's Android variant, along with toggles for, uh, 21 other things. <http://galaxys5guide.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-how-to-guides/how-to-access-and-use-galaxy-s5-quick-settings-panel/> Stock Android 6.0 has a cellular signal item in the quick settings, but tapping it shows data usage rather than toggling anything. <http://www.androidcentral.com/android-lollipop-has-quick-shortcut-see-your-data-usage> And in Android 7.0, you can use the experimental "System UI Tuner" to add a Cellular Data toggle. <http://www.howtogeek.com/231078/use-android-6.0%E2%80%99s-hidden-system-ui-tuner-to-customize-your-quick-settings-and-status-bar/> It can be easy to forget that you've changed something from the defaults if you did it months or years ago.

Revision history for this message
Ivo Xavier (ivoxavier) wrote :

I will comment this, bug, with my experience, trying to help the decision of what to do. I think this issue its all about customization. By the which, for the moment, ubuntu touch is not famous for. Yet again, every person has it owns requirements, so we end up on customization. In my country the button to toggle the celular data is very used.

Off course adding this button has advantages and disadvantages, at least for moment. Mine are:

*I use celular data, I have it most of the time turned on. In my country (Portugal), my carrier (Meo) offers a tariff (Moche) with free traffic for apps like whats app, facebook messenger, instagram, viber, iMessage, Skype and a plus 500mb to surfer the web, view email etc. Its mostly design for people under 26 years of age, we use it a lot. In my case, and many others, we use the celular data button to stay "offline" to our social media, to all apps. But I can't remember a situation when I used the airplane mode (this mode for me is useless), because I still want my phone be capable of receiving sms and calls from my parents, or even in emergency situations. In this case, adding this button saves time, because it can turn of celular data with on just click and save celular data. Some people say that also saves power, but I don't see that as the principal argument.

*Ubuntu phone experience. As someone mentioned in the mailing list, if we add this button to the indicator network, we can put ourselves exposed to risks. But yet again, I think is a matter of customization, for some its make sense for others not. If other people couldn't change the settings right up from the indicators, at least with the screen locked with passcode, we wouldn't be talking about this specific issue.

So, every person has its own requirements. Adding this button will make every person happy? No. Not adding this button will make everybody happy? No. In my opinion, adding a functionality that let's users to add or remove buttons from each indicator would be the best option. Off course, canonical has to make a default option and decide to put it by default or not, but users will also have the possibility to add or remove. I remember Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 with android 4.2.2 has this functionality, and I loved it, letting users to setting up what they want to see (http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Screenshot_2013-02-22-16-58-13.png).

But, for the moment, if the only option is to add or not to add, I will go to: Add the button.

Hope I've helped with some ideas.

Good work people.

Revision history for this message
Alberto Mardegan (mardy) wrote :

Note: there is no need to add a new button: the Nokia N9 had a very simple UI for connecting to the internet, which we could refer to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZ5WRlDuKM

of course, in our case we could have it all in the same menu, without the need of opening a separate page. But the point is that the Cellular connections should be listed along with the WiFi access points (on the top of the list) and the user would simply toggle between "internet on" and "internet off".
More options (such as "switch to a Wifi connection whenever available") could be implemented in the system settings.

Revision history for this message
Amr Ibrahim (amribrahim1987) wrote :

The biggest reason to implement this feature is an easy way for saving mobile internet data consumption, which means saving money.

Revision history for this message
Selene ToyKeeper (toykeeper) wrote :

There are versions of Android without cell data in the quick toggles? Wild.

Every Android device I've tried had it, and usually in more than one convenient place. Like one which pulls down from the top bar, one in a toggle rack which can be placed on a desktop, etc. Ubuntu doesn't have desktop widgets, but it could still go in the top bar pull-down area. Sometimes tapping it only toggles data, sometimes it toggles 2G/3G/4G/off, sometimes it toggles calls+data, calls-only, or no cell radio. Sometimes holding it brings up the cell settings menu, sometimes holding it brings up traffic accounting, sometimes holding it brings up the widget UI config tool.

It might be a common expectation for Ubuntu to have something similar.

Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
importance: Wishlist → Medium
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
importance: Wishlist → Medium
Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Antti Kaijanmäki (kaijanmaki)
Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → In Progress
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
milestone: ww08-2016 → 11
Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
importance: Medium → High
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
importance: Medium → High
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
status: Fix Committed → In Progress
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
status: Fix Committed → In Progress
Changed in ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Antti Kaijanmäki (kaijanmaki)
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
milestone: 11 → 12
Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package indicator-network - 0.7.1+16.04.20160511-0ubuntu1

---------------
indicator-network (0.7.1+16.04.20160511-0ubuntu1) xenial; urgency=medium

  [ Pete Woods ]
  * Fix limitations property (LP: #1547194)
  * Remember hotspot UUID
  * Store information about which device we are using in a member
    variable
  * Wait for hotspot device to be ready, not just present (LP: #1579221)
  * Wait for hotspot to finish activating

  [ Tony Espy ]
  * hotspot: Don't create NM ipv4 settings with empty values. (LP:
    #1579221)

 -- Tony Espy <email address hidden> Wed, 11 May 2016 16:57:39 +0000

Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package ubuntu-system-settings - 0.3+16.10.20160523-0ubuntu1

---------------
ubuntu-system-settings (0.3+16.10.20160523-0ubuntu1) yakkety; urgency=medium

  * Catch connection errors asynchronously

 -- Ken VanDine <email address hidden> Mon, 23 May 2016 12:27:38 +0000

Changed in ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Robin Heroldich (robinheroldich) wrote :

I don't see the toggle/switch on the indicator with the latest rc-proposed image. Has this update landed yet?

Revision history for this message
Pat McGowan (pat-mcgowan) wrote :

it is staged but not yet landed, not sure why the janitor marked this fixed

Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Released → In Progress
Changed in ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Released → In Progress
Revision history for this message
Antti Kaijanmäki (kaijanmaki) wrote :

We now have an on/off toggle for mobile data (cellular data) in the network indicator. It's scheduled for OTA 12, but before landing we'd like to get more testers to give it a try.

Users familiar with the citrain tool can install this from silo 80 and report their findings to this bug report.

Thanks!

Revision history for this message
PEIGNOT Kévin (kpeignot) wrote :

Wonderful !

So happy it finally happen two years after reporting ^^ Sadly my Nexus 4 is dead. Having nothing actually to test I won't be able (I'm waiting for a 4G BQ Phone ^^). Thanks a lot for solving this issue !

Revision history for this message
Robin Heroldich (robinheroldich) wrote :

First, thanks four your work, it will be very useful for a lot of us :)

I tried it on a Nexus 4 (rc-proposed, latest image). I've found some issues: At the first run the toogle was disabled (can't turn it on/off) on the indicator, I needed to enable in System Settings first, then it worked as expected on the indicator too. Then I rebooted my phone, and the toggle worked well, then I turned it off, after that, both toggles were disabled (on the Indicator and in the System Settings too). So sometimes the toggle be disabled. I can provide logs, just tell me which one needed. Thanks. :)

Revision history for this message
Antti Kaijanmäki (kaijanmaki) wrote :

thanks for the report, Robin!

Robin Heroldich (robinheroldich) wrote:

> At the first run the toogle was disabled on the indicator, I needed to enable in System Settings first...

This is actually desired behavior ATM. On Dual-SIM phone you need to select which SIM card to use from the system-settings before the toggle can work. On a Single-SIM phone the flow is a bit awkward, but we can improve on the experience in the future.

> then I turned it off, after that, both toggles were disabled (on the Indicator and in the System Settings too)

This should not happen. Next time you see this happening could you provide the output of running /usr/share/ofono/scripts/list-modems on the shell and the contents of /home/phablet/.config/connectivity-service/config.ini

Thanks!

Revision history for this message
Robin Heroldich (robinheroldich) wrote :

Thanks for the fast reply, Antti :)

Here are the files:

config.inis:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/17608571/

I changed my sim ID to xxxxxxxxxxx, but it's the same everywhere.

modems:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/17608759/

I changed my sim ID in one file (before). The other two files (after reboot, and after disable) look really weird. These are a python files instead of the command output. Maybe a bug in the code? And it doesn't run, just echo the file's content? Maybe this is the reason of the disabled toggles. I checked it three times, and it looks the same everytime.

Revision history for this message
Antti Kaijanmäki (kaijanmaki) wrote :

OK, there seems to be still a bug in the code if the SIM cards have PIN code enabled.

Working on a fix.

Revision history for this message
Robin Heroldich (robinheroldich) wrote :

Thanks, let me know when I can test it :)

Revision history for this message
Antti Kaijanmäki (kaijanmaki) wrote :

Bug with PIN enabled SIMs is now fixed in the silo.

Revision history for this message
Robin Heroldich (robinheroldich) wrote :

Thanks Antti, it's working well now. :)

Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package indicator-network - 0.8.0+16.10.20160622.1-0ubuntu1

---------------
indicator-network (0.8.0+16.10.20160622.1-0ubuntu1) yakkety; urgency=medium

  [ Pete ]
  * Add SIM management API.

  [ Antti Kaijanmäki ]
  * New Connectivity Service Private API for managing mobile data and
    SIM cards. (LP: #1373463)

  [ Pete Woods ]
  * Improve logging (LP: #1580908)
  * add mobile data switch (LP: #1373463)

  [ Antti Kaijanmäki, Pete Woods ]
  * New Connectivity Service Private API for managing mobile data and
    SIM cards. Tests. (LP: #1373463)

 -- Antti Kaijanmäki <email address hidden> Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:49:15 +0000

Changed in indicator-network (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package ubuntu-system-settings - 0.4+16.10.20160624-0ubuntu1

---------------
ubuntu-system-settings (0.4+16.10.20160624-0ubuntu1) yakkety; urgency=medium

  [ Antti Kaijanmäki ]
  * use Connectivity API for cellular data and roaming control. (LP:
    #1373463)

 -- Ken VanDine <email address hidden> Fri, 24 Jun 2016 13:42:47 +0000

Changed in ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Changed in canonical-devices-system-image:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers