Hi, the original bug discussed here is about systems with multiple user who use multiple languages. This is currently not supported.
On a fresh install in e.g. german or chinese all apps that have translations should be supported of course. Having multiple database will not help with that problem, that is a different issue.
I did a fresh install with ubiquity of natty now to test the problem.
= Fresh install without network =
* all apps are translated (everything from app-install-data-ubuntu)
* no translated package descriptions (no Translations-$lang files in /var/lib/apt/lists)
* no universe package lists (but s-c will offer to download them)
= Fresh install with network =
* all apps are translated
* translated package descriptions are available in /var/lib/apt/lists
* translated packages descriptions are *not* displayed until the first "apt-get update" *or* "rm -f /var/cache/apt/*.bin" (the binary package cache is generated/copied with LANG=C for some reason?) - this appears to be a more general problem with apt/the way we install, I investigate further