In order for any .deb packages to be presented for potential uploading to the main Ubuntu archives ('universe'/'main') the licensing will need to be clarified/finalised to something DFSG-ish (Ubuntu has slightly different requirements to Debian but they are fairly similar). The Ubuntu Font Family is released for the present under the Ubuntu Font Licence 1.0:
For the phased beta/development stages, the Ubuntu Font Family has been distributed under both internal, and latterly non-NDA licensing terms via the PPAs. This bug report is a placeholder to track what needs doing on a _technical level_ once any high-level decision/choice/etc has been assessed/finalised at some point. Following finalisation of any licensing decision the font family will need further updates to adjust in various places:
1. in the .ttfs (probably best to get DM to undertake this, although it could be done retrospectively as the TTF data is structured)
2. in the .deb package's 'debian/copyright' file.
3. relevant wiki pages, eg. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu%20Font%20Family
5. any press/notices/blogs on the subject (DM, Mark, Fridge, UWN, DX Team blog, Canonical, ...)
6. please click edit and extend this list!