Synapse is unusable on Xubuntu 15.10.

Bug #1514104 reported by Hicks on 2015-11-07
18
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Synapse
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Hello,

When i start typing into Synapse, i get a segmentation fault.

When starting Synapse, everything looks fine. I'm able to go to the preferences but I noticed that it doesn't get saved, even when exiting "cleanly" by selecting the "quit" menu item.

Also, this bug appeared since this morning, and I’m pretty positive that the only thing happened on the computer is an apt-get upgrade.

I have another partition on the same computer containing another version of Xubuntu (15.04). If i mount that partition and start /mountpoint/usr/bin/synapse while running Xubuntu 15.10, Synapse works properly.

Thank you!
Doodloo.

Hicks (hickscorp) wrote :
Hicks (hickscorp) wrote :
Download full text (3.6 KiB)

 doodloo@AirforceOne  ~  apt-cache show zeitgeist libzeitgeist-1.0-1 libgtkhotkey1
Package: zeitgeist
Priority: optional
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 19
Maintainer: Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals <email address hidden>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.9.16-0ubuntu3~gcc5.1
Depends: zeitgeist-core, python-zeitgeist, zeitgeist-datahub
Filename: pool/main/z/zeitgeist/zeitgeist_0.9.16-0ubuntu3~gcc5.1_all.deb
Size: 2804
MD5sum: a36b60eddf1e5abe71f0a794f528e846
SHA1: 874f4e116f6af08050e3ff7f51f5e1076b15a19c
SHA256: bdbe2c37a2f6cb2ea80aa7bc11412531da38508522298a08bffb0983e5fde7aa
Description-en: event logging framework
 Zeitgeist is a service which logs the user's activities and events (files
 opened, websites visited, conversations held with other people, etc.) and
 makes the relevant information available to other applications.
 .
 It serves as a comprehensive activity log and also makes it possible to
 determine relationships between items based on usage patterns.
 .
 This metapackage depends on the Zeitgeist engine and a set of packages
 (such as data providers) commonly used together with it.
Description-md5: c3a22cf4812c44cba8ff553657f1d168
Homepage: http://zeitgeist-project.com/
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 9m

Package: libzeitgeist-1.0-1
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 186
Maintainer: Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals <email address hidden>
Architecture: amd64
Source: libzeitgeist
Version: 0.3.18-1ubuntu2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3)
Recommends: zeitgeist | zeitgeist-core
Filename: pool/main/libz/libzeitgeist/libzeitgeist-1.0-1_0.3.18-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
Size: 36298
MD5sum: 4481db8a622b57320fc481e76194e7dc
SHA1: 44ebe8b2823f487bf4b03f0668773cffa986f19f
SHA256: 967d80a035acc2ca3647ea6eda03592714f1029c4c3937060f92bcdd608cbdc2
Description-en: library to access Zeitgeist - shared library
 Zeitgeist is a service which logs the user's activities and events (files
 opened, websites visited, conversations hold with other people, etc.) and
 makes the relevant information available to other applications.
 .
 It serves as a comprehensive activity log and also makes it possible to
 determine relationships between items based on usage patterns.
 .
 Libzeitgeist is a client library to access and manage the Zeitgeist event
 log from languages such as C and Vala.
 .
 This package contains shared libraries to be used by applications.
Description-md5: 5f36f890b2fde009f3c657c743aacc4e
Homepage: https://launchpad.net/libzeitgeist
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 9m
Task: ubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-usb, edubuntu-desktop, edubuntu-usb, ubuntu-gnome-desktop, ubuntukylin-desktop

Package: libgtkhotkey1
Priority: extra
Section: universe/libs
Installed-Size: 86
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <email address hidden>
Original-Maintainer: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <email address hidden>
Architecture: amd64
Source: gtkhotkey
Version: 0.2.1-6
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0)
Pre-Depends: multiarch-support
Filename: pool/universe/g/gtkhotkey/libgtkhotkey1_0.2.1-6_amd64.deb
Size: 19610
MD5sum: 95b3a5336e21403af2...

Read more...

Hicks (hickscorp) wrote :

Temporary fix: remove the package using APT, and use the old binary after manually installing the required libs. Steps:

```
sudo apt-get remove --purge synapse
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
sudo apt-get install libgtkhotkey1 libzeitgeist-1.0-1
cp /path-to-old-xubuntu-15_04-mountpoint/usr/bin/synapse ~/.local/bin
```

Then just make sure that ~/.local/bin is at first place in your $PATH.

Slava (glip) wrote :

Same on Lubuntu 15.10

Jeremy Munsch (jeremy-munsch) wrote :

I had the exact same issue, though using GTK_IM_MODULE='' synapse seems to workout, still to confirm.

Changed in synapse-project:
status: New → Confirmed
Jeremy Munsch (jeremy-munsch) wrote :

I just tested on a Wirtual machine with upgraded fresh ubuntu 15.10, synpase is working from repo out of the box. Still on Kubuntu i have issue when not using GTK_IM_MODULE='', synapse is crashing or sometimes it just pick up all CPU, and i have to kill it from tty1

Jeremy Munsch (jeremy-munsch) wrote :

Just tested Lubuntu 15.10 fresh install on VM, it is working out of the box v 0.2.99.1.
@Slava, are you sure you can repoduce this on Lubuntu ?
I know sometimes Synapse would randomly crash at startup, but it happen not very often, and yet i don't have a clue of why, but my only guess would be it is related to input method, not sure though.

Established xubuntu 14.04, it is no longer possible to test.

2015-11-10 2:02 GMT+03:00 Jeremy Munsch <email address hidden>:

> Just tested Lubuntu 15.10 fresh install on VM, it is working out of the
> box v 0.2.99.1.
> @Slava, are you sure you can repoduce this on Lubuntu ?
> I know sometimes Synapse would randomly crash at startup, but it happen
> not very often, and yet i don't have a clue of why, but my only guess would
> be it is related to input method, not sure though.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1514104
>
> Title:
> Synapse is unusable on Xubuntu 15.10.
>
> Status in Synapse:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Hello,
>
> When i start typing into Synapse, i get a segmentation fault.
>
> When starting Synapse, everything looks fine. I'm able to go to the
> preferences but I noticed that it doesn't get saved, even when exiting
> "cleanly" by selecting the "quit" menu item.
>
> Also, this bug appeared since this morning, and I’m pretty positive
> that the only thing happened on the computer is an apt-get upgrade.
>
> I have another partition on the same computer containing another
> version of Xubuntu (15.04). If i mount that partition and start
> /mountpoint/usr/bin/synapse while running Xubuntu 15.10, Synapse works
> properly.
>
> Thank you!
> Doodloo.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/synapse-project/+bug/1514104/+subscriptions
>

Hicks (hickscorp) wrote :

Im on Xubuntu 15.04 and Xubuntu 15.10.
I also have observed the startup CPU lock a few times, I had to kill the process as well.

How can I help you? As my setup is a bit exotic (I'm still running synapse by having the binary copied from my 15.04 partition to my ~/.local/bin folder when on 15.10) so if there any test I could do to save you guys the trouble feel free to ask me directly.

Best regards, and BTW I hadn't had the opportunity to say it: awesome tool, awesome UX, keep up the good work!

> On 10 Nov 2015, at 06:14, Gal78rus <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Established xubuntu 14.04, it is no longer possible to test.
>
> 2015-11-10 2:02 GMT+03:00 Jeremy Munsch <email address hidden>:
>
>> Just tested Lubuntu 15.10 fresh install on VM, it is working out of the
>> box v 0.2.99.1.
>> @Slava, are you sure you can repoduce this on Lubuntu ?
>> I know sometimes Synapse would randomly crash at startup, but it happen
>> not very often, and yet i don't have a clue of why, but my only guess would
>> be it is related to input method, not sure though.
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
>> report.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1514104
>>
>> Title:
>> Synapse is unusable on Xubuntu 15.10.
>>
>> Status in Synapse:
>> Confirmed
>>
>> Bug description:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When i start typing into Synapse, i get a segmentation fault.
>>
>> When starting Synapse, everything looks fine. I'm able to go to the
>> preferences but I noticed that it doesn't get saved, even when exiting
>> "cleanly" by selecting the "quit" menu item.
>>
>> Also, this bug appeared since this morning, and I’m pretty positive
>> that the only thing happened on the computer is an apt-get upgrade.
>>
>> I have another partition on the same computer containing another
>> version of Xubuntu (15.04). If i mount that partition and start
>> /mountpoint/usr/bin/synapse while running Xubuntu 15.10, Synapse works
>> properly.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Doodloo.
>>
>> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/synapse-project/+bug/1514104/+subscriptions
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1514104
>
> Title:
> Synapse is unusable on Xubuntu 15.10.
>
> Status in Synapse:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Hello,
>
> When i start typing into Synapse, i get a segmentation fault.
>
> When starting Synapse, everything looks fine. I'm able to go to the
> preferences but I noticed that it doesn't get saved, even when exiting
> "cleanly" by selecting the "quit" menu item.
>
> Also, this bug appeared since this morning, and I’m pretty positive
> that the only thing happened on the computer is an apt-get upgrade.
>
> I have another partition on the same computer containing another
> version of Xubuntu (15.04). If i mount that partition and start
> /mountpoint/usr/bin/synapse while running Xubuntu 15.10, Synapse works
> properly.
>
> Thank you!
> Doodloo.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/synapse-project/+bug/1514104/+subscriptions

Jeremy Munsch (jeremy-munsch) wrote :

When i run GTK_IM_MODULE='' synapse, its using cedilla input method or fcitx when i had it installed on Kubuntu 15.10, which is working.

if i simply run \synapse, it is using xim input method and is crashing.

So @Hicks, can you please confirm that, use the new binary, and launch \synapse, and then GTK_IM_MODULE='' synapse, and post the output of console please. That way it could confirm you maybe using xim, and therefore it has an issue using xim, or maybe you have another input method and i does not work with it as well.

Thank you

Jeremy Munsch (jeremy-munsch) wrote :

Ok so i managed to gather enough info,
https://github.com/p-e-w/finalterm/issues/364
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=690270

This is a known bug, it won't be corrected using xim input method is not working:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/synapse-project/+bug/1219314

The solution is to:

Replace in /usr/local/share/applications/synapse.desktop
Exec=synapse
by
Exec=GTK_IM_MODULE='' synapse

Use an alias for synapse if launching form CLI
Use another input method with sudo im-config

I think i would be really nice to update wiki or something.

Hicks (hickscorp) wrote :

Hello,

The GTK_IM_MODULE fix worked for me, thanks for taking the time to explain. I didn’t see the https://bugs.launchpad.net/synapse-project/+bug/1219314 because I didn't know it was related to the input method, sorry about that.

A cleaner solution (Which also won't break when the system is updated) is to create a folder structure in your home like so: ".local/share/applications" and copy the original synapse launcher inside: "cp /usr/share/applications/synapse.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/". Then, edit this file instead with Jeremy's recomendation.

If I may suggest the same as Jeremy, adding it somewhere in the wiki, because it is the first page i checked when the bug first occurred.

Thanks for your help!

Hicks (hickscorp) wrote :

I forgot... Putting directly a variable set in a .desktop didn't work for me. Here is how my synapse.desktop file looks like:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Synapse
Comment=Search everything you do.
Keywords=search;find;launch
Exec=bash -c 'GTK_IM_MODULE="" synapse'
Icon=synapse
Categories=GNOME;Utility;

Best,
Doodloo.

Jeremy Munsch (jeremy-munsch) wrote :

No need to use bash :

Exec=GTK_IM_MODULE='' synapse

Hicks (hickscorp) wrote :

@Jeremy: This doesn't work on XFCE for me, as the system was looking for a binary named GTK_IM_MODULE (See https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7489).

The way i propose would work on any DE supporting ".desktop" launchers.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions

Bug attachments

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.