Malformed page in Mythbuntu Theme 25.25

Bug #1052253 reported by bas.t on 2012-09-18
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Mythbuntu
Fix Released
Medium
Thomas Mashos

Bug Description

In the last release of Mythbuntu Theme (25.25) something went wrong. In the TV --> Watch Recordings screen (or whatever it is called in english), you should see a summary of the highlighted/selected show at the bottom of your screen. It is no longer there. In 25.24 however, it is where I expect it. In 25.25, the summary will show after pressing 'm' followed by 'esc' or 'F1' followed by escape, and maybe more combinations that I did not find.

Revision history for this message
Thomas Mashos (tgm4883) wrote :

Is it possible to get a screenshot of what exactly is missing?

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

yes, print_1 is how it should be...

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

and print_2 is how it is in 25.25

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

Oh< I missed your new release, 25.26

Fixed, thanks!

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

I am sorry to inform you that the exact same issue is back in 25.27

Revision history for this message
Thomas Mashos (tgm4883) wrote : Re: [Mythbuntu-bugs] [Bug 1052253] Re: Malformed page in Mythbuntu Theme 25.25

What resolution is your screen?
On Sep 17, 2012 11:30 PM, "bas.t" <email address hidden> wrote:

> and print_2 is how it is in 25.25
>
> ** Attachment added: "print_2.png"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/1052253/+attachment/3322008/+files/print_2.png
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mythbuntu
> Bug Team, which is subscribed to Mythbuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1052253
>
> Title:
> Malformed page in Mythbuntu Theme 25.25
>
> Status in Mythbuntu, Ubuntu derivative focused upon MythTV:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> In the last release of Mythbuntu Theme (25.25) something went wrong.
> In the TV --> Watch Recordings screen (or whatever it is called in
> english), you should see a summary of the highlighted/selected show at
> the bottom of your screen. It is no longer there. In 25.24 however, it
> is where I expect it. In 25.25, the summary will show after pressing
> 'm' followed by 'esc' or 'F1' followed by escape, and maybe more
> combinations that I did not find.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/1052253/+subscriptions
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-bugs
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-bugs
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

1920x1080 pixels

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

BTW: I love your work, Mythbuntu Theme rocks!

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

I noticed that swithing to OpenGL as paiting engine solves the problem. Only when using QT it exists.
I'm on Debian Squeeze.

Revision history for this message
Thomas Mashos (tgm4883) wrote :

What specs do you have in this frontend. I'm completely unable to reproduce this issue using either Qt or OpenGL painters (on my Atom 330 w/ ION frontend). Is there a reason you can't use the OpenGL theme painter? I don't know a ton about the differences, but it appears the OpenGL painter uses video card hardware to do the menus while the Qt one uses CPU.

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

I don't know about the differences too. There is no reason whatsoever to not use opengl on my frontend, being a Shutle XS35gtv2. It was just a habit originating from years ago, when I used different hardware. This morning I suddenly remembered this habbit and changed to opengl, as I didn't see any hardware related reason to stick to the habbit. And what do you know, problem solved!

I suspect (but I can not prove it at this time) that there might be an issue with the QT painter on Debian Squeeze.
Also, to compile a descent up-to date version of mythtv (fixes/0.25 branch), or for that matter xbmc + tvheadend, I'm using some non-standard repo's. That complicates the search to the origin of this issue. My sources.list looks like this:

# deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://debian-multimedia.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/debian-multimedia/ squeeze main non-free
deb-src http://debian-multimedia.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/debian-multimedia/ squeeze main non-free
deb http://debian.oppserver.net/xbmcvdr/ squeeze main non-free contrib
deb-src http://debian.oppserver.net/xbmcvdr/ squeeze main non-free contrib
deb http://debian-multimedia.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/debian-multimedia/ squeeze-backports main
deb-src http://debian-multimedia.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/debian-multimedia/ squeeze-backports main

Bottom line:
using opengl 25.27 works just fine (well, loading the thumbnail to the left of the summary seems to be a bit crappy every now and then, but I didn't look into that as it is not important to me). And I'm really glad with the text-zoom feature in the detailed summary window (or what you call it) making it readable from the couch.

Next week I'll install ubuntu precise on a test machine I have at hand, and see if it won't be reproducable for me too. That should narrow down the amount of possible causes, I think. (or not)
I'll let you know.

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

BTW, is there any way of installing Mythbuntu from a tftp boot server?
That's my preferred way to install any distro.
I would just need 'linux' and 'initrd.gz'

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

Big bummer, I just did a fresh install of ubuntu precise + mythbuntu frontend.
Still the same: QT painter shows the issue and opngl does not.
This time I did not compile anything myself.
btw, mythbuntu controll-center sucks bigtime (no news here though, has been sucking forever)

Revision history for this message
Thomas Mashos (tgm4883) wrote :

I'm partial to just saying use OpenGL instead of Qt, as it seems you are the only one experiencing this issue, but lets get a frontend log just to check some things first.

If you have an issue with MCC, it's incredibly difficult to fix something we don't know about, especially when we have so many people telling us how great it is.

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :
Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :
Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

Let's not get excited, I didn't like MCC years ago and I don't like it now. I promise to never use it again, I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.

 As I stated, regarding the issue there is no difference comparing debian squeeze to ubuntu precise.

OpenGL works with 25.27 and QT does not.

I have attached the logs to this ticket. In both cases, I did the same: go to TV-->Watch Recordings(or what it's called in english) and do arrow right. So in my case the upper recording in the group 'all recordings' gets highlighted. Next, I exited mythfrontend.
Both of these logs have been generated on debian squeeze.
Again: in the opengl.log the summary shows, in the qt.log it does not, see print_2

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :
Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

Added some new screen prints, hope that helps.

Revision history for this message
Thomas Mashos (tgm4883) wrote :

I'm toying with the idea of just reverting this screen for 0.25. Either way, I'm making OpenGL a requirement for 0.26 going forward.

Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

OK, so you are making OpenGL a requirement for 0.26 going forward.
Why not do that for future releases of 0.25 as well?
No reverting needed and, as a bonus, the look and feel of your theme keeps improving.

Revision history for this message
Thomas Mashos (tgm4883) wrote :

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:27 AM, bas.t <email address hidden> wrote:
> OK, so you are making OpenGL a requirement for 0.26 going forward.
> Why not do that for future releases of 0.25 as well?
> No reverting needed and, as a bonus, the look and feel of your theme keeps improving.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mythbuntu
> Bug Team, which is subscribed to Mythbuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1052253
>
> Title:
> Malformed page in Mythbuntu Theme 25.25
>
> Status in Mythbuntu, Ubuntu derivative focused upon MythTV:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> In the last release of Mythbuntu Theme (25.25) something went wrong.
> In the TV --> Watch Recordings screen (or whatever it is called in
> english), you should see a summary of the highlighted/selected show at
> the bottom of your screen. It is no longer there. In 25.24 however, it
> is where I expect it. In 25.25, the summary will show after pressing
> 'm' followed by 'esc' or 'F1' followed by escape, and maybe more
> combinations that I did not find.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/1052253/+subscriptions
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-bugs
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-bugs
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

The issue I have with making it a requirement in the 0.25 theme is
that it isn't something we've required and 0.25 has been out for
awhile now.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos

Revision history for this message
Thomas Mashos (tgm4883) wrote :

I've reverted the changes in v25 and made OpenGL a requirement for v26 going forward.

Changed in mythbuntu:
assignee: nobody → Thomas Mashos (tgm4883)
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
bas.t (tycholursen) wrote :

I still don't think QT is to blame. Then again, I'm not a QT guru (at this time, things may change)
Been giving myself a headache going through the code, couldn't put my finger on it, yet.
Ah well, let's give it a rest for now, maybe I'll catch this one later and report back.
Thanks a lot for your effort anyway!

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers