Special character problems in 1.8.0~beta1 library

Bug #517916 reported by RJ Skerry-Ryan on 2010-02-06
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Mixxx
Medium
RJ Skerry-Ryan

Bug Description

Another one from the forums. On Windows 7 64-bit and Snow Leopard 64-bit loaded tracks have unicode decoding issues.

See image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1932032/Mixxx_Bug_1.png

My best guess is that this is the SoundSource::ParseHeader's fault for this file type. I have plenty of tracks in my library (e.g. Röyksopp) that show up fine.

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) on 2010-02-06
Changed in mixxx:
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Medium
milestone: none → 1.8.0
description: updated
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

I just noticed that the screenshot has iTunes selected. Maybe the issue is an iTunes encoding issue.

Albert, Tobias, or anyone with a reasonable sized library with special characters -- can you investigate whether there is an issue with characters?

This might have something to do with the bug where iTunes claims a file is UTF-8 but is actually Latin-1.

Changed in mixxx:
assignee: nobody → RJ Ryan (rryan)

Yes, this is an iTunes problem. I recall I have one OGG or MP3 from my
iTunes collection that's got a messed up tag. I can have a look at
this later...

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM, RJ Ryan <email address hidden> wrote:
> I just noticed that the screenshot has iTunes selected. Maybe the issue
> is an iTunes encoding issue.
>
> Albert, Tobias, or anyone with a reasonable sized library with special
> characters -- can you investigate whether there is an issue with
> characters?
>
> This might have something to do with the bug where iTunes claims a file
> is UTF-8 but is actually Latin-1.
>
> ** Changed in: mixxx
>     Assignee: (unassigned) => RJ Ryan (rryan)
>
> --
> Special character problems in 1.8.0~beta1 library
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/517916
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mixxx
> Development Team, which is subscribed to Mixxx.
>

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

This patch breaks the function button mappings with me. For example, F1 and F2 do not trigger rate_perm_up/down.

The log output when I hit F1 or F2 is:

Debug: [Main]: keyboard press: ""

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

Doh, wrong bug.

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

With Tobias's library, I've seen that there are special characters (e.g. umlauts) that are incorrectly parsed by the current iTunes code.

I can fix this by adding the following line to findValueByKey in ITunesTrackModel

Instead of:
return value.text();
do this:
QString textValue = value.text();
return QString::fromUtf8(textValue.toAscii().data(), textValue.size());

Essentially, take the raw data read by Qt (Qt incorrectly thought it was Latin1 encoded) and re-interpret it as UTF-8.

RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) wrote :

http://pastebin.com/e39uC4n0

There's the patch if anyone wants to try it out.

Confirmed the fix works for my UTF-8 encoded files (they were garbled
before) on OS X. Committed in r2582.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM, RJ Ryan <email address hidden> wrote:
> http://pastebin.com/e39uC4n0
>
> There's the patch if anyone wants to try it out.
>
> --
> Special character problems in 1.8.0~beta1 library
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/517916
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mixxx
> Development Team, which is subscribed to Mixxx.
>

Changed in mixxx:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
RJ Skerry-Ryan (rryan) on 2010-10-05
Changed in mixxx:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers