Smooth scrolling should be drafted and implemented for 12.04 LTS
Nowadays most devices use smooth scrolling. It has become a de-facto standard, which Ubuntu does not yet support. The basic rationale for smooth scrolling was well summarized in :
* Looks more modern and professional,
* Allows the user to read while they scroll with the mouse wheel,
* In (for example) a Pidgin chat window the motion of a smooth scroll when you receive a message draws you eye: our brains are configured to respond to movement,
* Smooth movement is natural - jerky movement is not,
* Everyone else is doing it!
As a matter of fact, this bug is a long-standing issue and has been upstream since 2003 ! Even a patch has been written, which inexplicably was never included.
Questions on AskUbuntu  and a brain storm idea  which has not gotten much attention show how popular this feature is within the community.
|Changed in gtk:|
|importance:||Unknown → Wishlist|
|status:||Unknown → Confirmed|