For the "change the column type to date" fix....
I think that alone makes the problem *worse* in the client. I did that on our training system, then added my DOB to it (because it wasn't there previously). End result was it showing the DOB as the day before in the client. Dojo interfaces or otherwise.
The database, on the other hand, seems to have no problems with it and has the correct value there.
Thus, if that is to be the fix, a number of places in the system may need to be changed.
I also tried timestamp without time zone and got the same results (predictably, as dates have no timezone either).