compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in g_type_check_instance_is_a()

Reported by Zetoke on 2011-09-11
110
This bug affects 19 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Nux
High
Unassigned
Unity
High
Unassigned
nux (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Using Chromium.

ProblemType: Crash
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
Package: libnux-1.0-0 1.8.0-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-10.16-generic 3.0.4
Uname: Linux 3.0.0-10-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 1.22.1-0ubuntu2
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
Date: Mon Sep 12 00:34:22 2011
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/compiz
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64 (20110427.1)
ProcCmdline: compiz
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/zsh
SegvAnalysis:
 Segfault happened at: 0x7f075ad2c400 <g_type_check_instance_is_a+112>: testb $0x4,0x16(%rdi)
 PC (0x7f075ad2c400) ok
 source "$0x4" ok
 destination "0x16(%rdi)" (0x4800208ac1058b5e) not located in a known VMA region (needed writable region)!
SegvReason: writing unknown VMA
Signal: 11
SourcePackage: nux
StacktraceTop:
 g_type_check_instance_is_a () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
 g_object_unref () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
 BamfLauncherIcon::~BamfLauncherIcon() () from /usr/lib/compiz/libunityshell.so
 BamfLauncherIcon::~BamfLauncherIcon() () from /usr/lib/compiz/libunityshell.so
 nux::Object::Destroy() () from /usr/lib/libnux-core-1.0.so.0
Title: compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in g_type_check_instance_is_a()
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-28 (13 days ago)
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare

Zetoke (zetoke) wrote :

StacktraceTop:
 g_type_check_instance_is_a (type_instance=<optimized out>, iface_type=<optimized out>) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.29.90/./gobject/gtype.c:3952
 g_object_unref (_object=0x7f074dea3850) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.29.90/./gobject/gobject.c:2680
 BamfLauncherIcon::~BamfLauncherIcon (this=0x644af20, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at /build/buildd/unity-4.14.2/plugins/unityshell/src/BamfLauncherIcon.cpp:238
 BamfLauncherIcon::~BamfLauncherIcon (this=0x644af20, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at /build/buildd/unity-4.14.2/plugins/unityshell/src/BamfLauncherIcon.cpp:242
 nux::Object::Destroy (this=0x644aff0) at ./Object.cpp:350

Changed in nux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
tags: removed: need-amd64-retrace
Changed in nux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Zetoke (zetoke) on 2011-09-12
visibility: private → public
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-09-30
Changed in unity:
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in nux:
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in nux (Ubuntu):
importance: Medium → Critical
Barry Drake (b-drake) wrote :

I've just collected a report from a really unhelpful user who after much ranting about 12.04 agreed to tell me that he has an nvidia GE6200 graphics adaptor. I can't get any more information from him and he has now wiped 12.04 and put 11.10 back. He says that 11.10 works perfectly but 12.04 crashes compiz. He didn't note the error messages and all I can get from him now is a rant. Maybe it's worth me noting this here.

On 05/01/2012 09:24 AM, Barry Drake wrote:
> I've just collected a report from a really unhelpful user who after much
> ranting about 12.04 agreed to tell me that he has an nvidia GE6200
> graphics adaptor. I can't get any more information from him and he has
> now wiped 12.04 and put 11.10 back. He says that 11.10 works perfectly
> but 12.04 crashes compiz. He didn't note the error messages and all I
> can get from him now is a rant. Maybe it's worth me noting this here.
>
I have a GeForce GT430 and still running 12.04, I Installed from 12.04
Beta2 and have just done the updates. Anything I can do to help you just
ask.

Christopher Ozuna

Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

Thanks for taking time to report this bug and helping to make ubuntu better. Its been a while since this bug was reported, there have been alot of changes in Unity since then. Can you please test with Ubuntu 12.04 with all updates installed and let us know if the issue is still there.

Changed in nux (Ubuntu):
importance: Critical → High
Changed in nux:
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in unity:
importance: Undecided → High
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in nux:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in nux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
chrisozuna (chrisozuna) wrote :

I have not had this issue in a while so I believe the updates have resolved
this issue.

Thank you.
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Omer Akram <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for taking time to report this bug and helping to make ubuntu
> better. Its been a while since this bug was reported, there have been
> alot of changes in Unity since then. Can you please test with Ubuntu
> 12.04 with all updates installed and let us know if the issue is still
> there.
>
> ** Changed in: nux (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Critical => High
>
> ** Changed in: nux
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: unity
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: unity
> Status: Confirmed => Incomplete
>
> ** Changed in: nux
> Status: Confirmed => Incomplete
>
> ** Changed in: nux (Ubuntu)
> Status: Confirmed => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (854052).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/847366
>
> Title:
> compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in g_type_check_instance_is_a()
>
> Status in Nux:
> Incomplete
> Status in Unity:
> Incomplete
> Status in “nux” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Using Chromium.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: libnux-1.0-0 1.8.0-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-10.16-generic 3.0.4
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-10-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> ApportVersion: 1.22.1-0ubuntu2
> Architecture: amd64
> CrashCounter: 1
> Date: Mon Sep 12 00:34:22 2011
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/compiz
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64
> (20110427.1)
> ProcCmdline: compiz
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/zsh
> SegvAnalysis:
> Segfault happened at: 0x7f075ad2c400 <g_type_check_instance_is_a+112>:
> testb $0x4,0x16(%rdi)
> PC (0x7f075ad2c400) ok
> source "$0x4" ok
> destination "0x16(%rdi)" (0x4800208ac1058b5e) not located in a known
> VMA region (needed writable region)!
> SegvReason: writing unknown VMA
> Signal: 11
> SourcePackage: nux
> StacktraceTop:
> g_type_check_instance_is_a () from
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> g_object_unref () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
> BamfLauncherIcon::~BamfLauncherIcon() () from
> /usr/lib/compiz/libunityshell.so
> BamfLauncherIcon::~BamfLauncherIcon() () from
> /usr/lib/compiz/libunityshell.so
> nux::Object::Destroy() () from /usr/lib/libnux-core-1.0.so.0
> Title: compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in g_type_check_instance_is_a()
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-08-28 (13 days ago)
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nux/+bug/847366/+subscriptions
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for nux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in nux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for Unity because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in unity:
status: Incomplete → Expired
Stephen M. Webb (bregma) wrote :

This bug report is being closed due to your last comment regarding this being fixed with an update.

Changed in nux:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers