Second "banshee" entry in Unity Launcher, first one goes crazy

Bug #789729 reported by Simon Hirscher on 2011-05-29
14
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Unity
Expired
Low
Unassigned
unity (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

I don't know if this intro is of any relevance but I just plugged in my phone and was asked as usual whether I'd like to start Banshee. I wanted and so its main window popped up. As I noticed some moments later, it must have been during this procedure that a second Banshee icon was created (as last entry) in the Launcher.

Now, the second entry works as usually unlike the first one which changes its behavior almost every time I click on it. These are the different behaviors I could observe so far:

#1 Clicking results in it blinking as if I Banshee was starting up. This simply stops some moments later without any further reaction.
#2 Clicking results in the Banshee window popping up. Sometimes this happens in combination with #1.
#3 Clicking results in the second entry button doing some "dancing" / vibrating and flashing like in case of notifications. Similarly, it is then highlighted by a blue arrow on the left side afterwards and the Ubuntu button's top left corner becomes blue (see screenshot).

Other things to notice:
- The volume button's popup menu in the menu panel shows that Banshee is running. When I click on "Banshee", it reacts as described under #3.
- In the first button's right-click menu there's no "close" entry. In the second button's one the "Keep in Launcher" option is NOT checked as it should be.

*UPDATE*: I just clicked on the second entry and a *3rd* entry was created. Hiding and opening the Launcher again made the second button disappear. Now, the 3rd one behaves like the 2nd one previously.
*UPDATE2*: Can confirm the same bug for the calculator and GIMP now, so it seems to be of general nature. In these cases however, the first entry immediately disappeared. (I didn't even need to hide and open the Launcher again.)

Simon Hirscher (codethief) wrote :
description: updated
description: updated
Bilal Akhtar (bilalakhtar) wrote :

Could you check if you have any desktop files related to banshee, in the .local/share/applications/ folder in your home folder?

No, the only file in this folder is "mimeapps.list" which is for GEdit
and Geany apparently.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:17, Bilal Akhtar <email address hidden> wrote:
> Could you check if you have any desktop files related to banshee, in the
> .local/share/applications/ folder in your home folder?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/789729
>
> Title:
>  Second "banshee" entry in Unity Launcher, first one goes crazy
>
> Status in Unity:
>  New
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
>  New
>
> Bug description:
>  I don't know if this intro is of any relevance but I just plugged in
>  my phone and was asked as usual whether I'd like to start Banshee. I
>  wanted and so its main window popped up. As I noticed some moments
>  later, it must have been during this procedure that a second Banshee
>  icon was created (as last entry) in the Launcher.
>
>  Now, the second entry works as usually unlike the first one which
>  changes its behavior almost every time I click on it. These are the
>  different behaviors I could observe so far:
>
>  #1 Clicking results in it blinking as if I Banshee was starting up. This simply stops some moments later without any further reaction.
>  #2 Clicking results in the Banshee window popping up. Sometimes this happens in combination with #1.
>  #3 Clicking results in the second entry button doing some "dancing" / vibrating and flashing like in case of notifications. Similarly, it is then highlighted by a blue arrow on the left side afterwards and the Ubuntu button's top left corner becomes blue (see screenshot).
>
>  Other things to notice:
>  - The volume button's popup menu in the menu panel shows that Banshee is running. When I click on "Banshee", it reacts as described under #3.
>  - In the first button's right-click menu there's no "close" entry. In the second button's one the "Keep in Launcher" option is NOT checked as it should be.
>
>  *UPDATE*: I just clicked on the second entry and a *3rd* entry was created. Hiding and opening the Launcher again made the second button disappear. Now, the 3rd one behaves like the 2nd one previously.
>  *UPDATE2*: Can confirm the same bug for the calculator and GIMP now, so it seems to be of general nature. In these cases however, the first entry immediately disappeared. (I didn't even need to hide and open the Launcher again.)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/789729/+subscriptions
>

Bilal Akhtar (bilalakhtar) wrote :

Weird. Could you check what's the output of the command:
ls -l /usr{,/local}/share/applications | grep banshee

Seems like 2 desktop files for the same executable got in there, or something.

Simon Hirscher (codethief) wrote :

Looks like it:

codethief@philosoph:~$ ls -l /usr/share/applications | grep banshee
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 583 2011-05-07 17:19 banshee-audiocd.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2353 2011-05-07 17:19 banshee.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 580 2011-05-07 17:19 banshee-media-player.desktop

So which one do I have to remove?
Also: How did they get there and why is it happening only rarely that
there I can actually see two Banshee icons in the Launcher?
Apart from that: what about the calculator and GIMP? As I wrote
earlier their Launcher entries showed similar (yet not the same)
behavior. Executing the same command for them only prints out one file
each, however.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 14:20, Bilal Akhtar <email address hidden> wrote:
> Weird. Could you check what's the output of the command:
> ls -l /usr{,/local}/share/applications | grep banshee
>
> Seems like 2 desktop files for the same executable got in there, or
> something.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/789729
>
> Title:
>  Second "banshee" entry in Unity Launcher, first one goes crazy
>
> Status in Unity:
>  New
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
>  New
>
> Bug description:
>  I don't know if this intro is of any relevance but I just plugged in
>  my phone and was asked as usual whether I'd like to start Banshee. I
>  wanted and so its main window popped up. As I noticed some moments
>  later, it must have been during this procedure that a second Banshee
>  icon was created (as last entry) in the Launcher.
>
>  Now, the second entry works as usually unlike the first one which
>  changes its behavior almost every time I click on it. These are the
>  different behaviors I could observe so far:
>
>  #1 Clicking results in it blinking as if I Banshee was starting up. This simply stops some moments later without any further reaction.
>  #2 Clicking results in the Banshee window popping up. Sometimes this happens in combination with #1.
>  #3 Clicking results in the second entry button doing some "dancing" / vibrating and flashing like in case of notifications. Similarly, it is then highlighted by a blue arrow on the left side afterwards and the Ubuntu button's top left corner becomes blue (see screenshot).
>
>  Other things to notice:
>  - The volume button's popup menu in the menu panel shows that Banshee is running. When I click on "Banshee", it reacts as described under #3.
>  - In the first button's right-click menu there's no "close" entry. In the second button's one the "Keep in Launcher" option is NOT checked as it should be.
>
>  *UPDATE*: I just clicked on the second entry and a *3rd* entry was created. Hiding and opening the Launcher again made the second button disappear. Now, the 3rd one behaves like the 2nd one previously.
>  *UPDATE2*: Can confirm the same bug for the calculator and GIMP now, so it seems to be of general nature. In these cases however, the first entry immediately disappeared. (I didn't even need to hide and open the Launcher again.)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/789729/+subscriptions
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-10-03
Changed in unity:
status: New → Confirmed
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thank you for your bug report, most of those "double entry" issues should be fixed in precise, could you try if that's still an issue with the new version for you?

Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in unity:
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Simon Hirscher (codethief) wrote :

I will – as soon as I've upgraded my system (which might take a few
weeks till I've got time). But in any way I haven't noticed any double
entries for a long time, now.

Haneef Mubarak (haneefmubarak) wrote :

Have you upgraded to Precise and if so, do you have any double entires? Please respond as soon as you have read this.

Simon Hirscher (codethief) wrote :

No, not yet. University's keeping me busy. :(

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for Unity because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in unity:
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for unity (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers