Missing album art

Reported by filorin on 2012-04-07
88
This bug affects 22 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Music Lens
Medium
Michal Hruby
Unity
Undecided
Unassigned
unity-lens-music (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Precise
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Test case:
1. Open the dash
2. Switch to the music lens
3. Search for music
   -> Songs that are from albums should have their covers displayed in the search results

===

Open the dash -> Music Lens -> my music dosn't always have the picture of the album
System up to date with Unity 5.8.0. Sometimes it works well but sometimes not.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: unity 5.8.0+bzr2252ubuntu0+677 [origin: LP-PPA-unity-team]
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-22.35-generic-pae 3.2.14
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-22-generic-pae i686
ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu4
Architecture: i386
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120406)

description: updated
affects: unity → unity-music-lens
affects: unity-music-lens → unity-lens-music
Changed in unity-lens-music:
assignee: nobody → David Callé (davidc3)
David Callé (davidc3) on 2012-04-07
Changed in unity-lens-music:
assignee: David Callé (davidc3) → nobody
Michal Hruby (mhr3) on 2012-04-10
summary: - unity music lens pictures
+ Missing album art
Changed in unity-lens-music:
importance: Undecided → Medium
assignee: nobody → Michal Hruby (mhr3)
status: New → In Progress
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

I've tested the fix, with it the lens lists the artwork of musics that got played in rhythmbox, it's not perfect but already much better ;-) (the change is non trivial though so will likely be rather SRU material)

Changed in unity-lens-music (Ubuntu Precise):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Triaged
Changed in unity-lens-music:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Pablo Almeida (pabloalmeidaff9) wrote :

So... can I tell my friends to not to worry and install Precise because a fix coming soon after release? I want them to keep using the LTS for a long time, so I really want this to be in Precise.

Michal Hruby (mhr3) on 2012-04-27
Changed in unity-lens-music:
milestone: none → 5.12.0
description: updated
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2012-04-27
Changed in unity:
milestone: none → 5.12.0
status: New → Fix Committed
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2012-04-27
Changed in unity:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in unity-lens-music:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

Hello Guillaume, or anyone else affected,

Accepted unity-lens-music into precise-proposed. The package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Changed in unity-lens-music (Ubuntu Precise):
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
tags: added: verification-needed
Doug McMahon (mc3man) wrote :

It's better, works somewhat though still not as well as banshee, RB also has limitations in retrieving album art that may also contribute to the so so performance
Though in some cases even after adding a folder.jpg to an album folder, while it it show in RB in sound menu it will not in lens.
(- allowing banshee to then import the folder then does add & will be seen in the lens for either or both RB or Banshee

Yeah, I can confirm that it solves the problem for songs that have album
art, but not for folders with a .jpg file in it for the album art.

2012/4/27 Doug McMahon <email address hidden>

> It's better, works somewhat though still not as well as banshee, RB also
> has limitations in retrieving album art that may also contribute to the so
> so performance
> Though in some cases even after adding a folder.jpg to an album folder,
> while it it show in RB in sound menu it will not in lens.
> (- allowing banshee to then import the folder then does add & will be seen
> in the lens for either or both RB or Banshee
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/976067
>
> Title:
> Missing album art
>
> Status in Unity:
> Fix Released
> Status in unity-lens-music:
> Fix Released
> Status in “unity-lens-music” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “unity-lens-music” source package in Precise:
> Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> Test case:
> 1. Open the dash
> 2. Switch to the music lens
> 3. Search for music
> -> Songs that are from albums should have their covers displayed in
> the search results
>
>
> ===
>
> Open the dash -> Music Lens -> my music dosn't always have the picture of
> the album
> System up to date with Unity 5.8.0. Sometimes it works well but sometimes
> not.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: unity 5.8.0+bzr2252ubuntu0+677 [origin: LP-PPA-unity-team]
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-22.35-generic-pae 3.2.14
> Uname: Linux 3.2.0-22-generic-pae i686
> ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu4
> Architecture: i386
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386
> (20120406)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/976067/+subscriptions
>

--
Pablo Almeida
http://www.google.com/profiles/pabloalmeidaff9

tags: added: verification-done
removed: verification-needed
shane (shane-animail) wrote :

As said, this shows album art for stuff that has been played, which isn't really a fix as far as I see since it should at the very least have the same functionality as the previous release.

I don't know about other people but speaking personally, I don't make a point of playing every album in my collection after installation so only a fraction of the stuff listed in the music lens currently has the album art (after updating from proposed) so it looks messy and very unpolished seeing the odd bit of album art then loads of generic mimetype icons.

Shouldn't this have been looked at more carefully when the decision was made to switch from banshee to rhythmbox?
Of course it isn't the end of the world and it has no major impact on the system itself but the dash is a major part of unity and the music lens has been in there for a full release so users should expect it to work like it did, rather than regress.

Pablo Almeida (pabloalmeidaff9) wrote :

I agree with you, but now there's no point in talking about whether it was
a bad decision or not. I think they were more worried about things not
crashing as, reportedly , it used to happen a lot with Banshee and it would
be impossible to fix so many bugs in one development cycle.

2012/4/28 shane <email address hidden>

> As said, this shows album art for stuff that has been played, which
> isn't really a fix as far as I see since it should at the very least
> have the same functionality as the previous release.
>
> I don't know about other people but speaking personally, I don't make a
> point of playing every album in my collection after installation so only
> a fraction of the stuff listed in the music lens currently has the album
> art (after updating from proposed) so it looks messy and very unpolished
> seeing the odd bit of album art then loads of generic mimetype icons.
>
> Shouldn't this have been looked at more carefully when the decision was
> made to switch from banshee to rhythmbox?
> Of course it isn't the end of the world and it has no major impact on the
> system itself but the dash is a major part of unity and the music lens has
> been in there for a full release so users should expect it to work like it
> did, rather than regress.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/976067
>
> Title:
> Missing album art
>
> Status in Unity:
> Fix Released
> Status in unity-lens-music:
> Fix Released
> Status in “unity-lens-music” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “unity-lens-music” source package in Precise:
> Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> Test case:
> 1. Open the dash
> 2. Switch to the music lens
> 3. Search for music
> -> Songs that are from albums should have their covers displayed in
> the search results
>
>
> ===
>
> Open the dash -> Music Lens -> my music dosn't always have the picture of
> the album
> System up to date with Unity 5.8.0. Sometimes it works well but sometimes
> not.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: unity 5.8.0+bzr2252ubuntu0+677 [origin: LP-PPA-unity-team]
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-22.35-generic-pae 3.2.14
> Uname: Linux 3.2.0-22-generic-pae i686
> ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu4
> Architecture: i386
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386
> (20120406)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/976067/+subscriptions
>

--
Pablo Almeida
http://www.google.com/profiles/pabloalmeidaff9

shane (shane-animail) wrote :

Yes, fair point and not really helpful, just that it is a lesson not being learned.

But I am concerned that since this has been marked with "fix-released" then it will be left that way, even though it is only partially fixed?

It's not still marked as fix-released for the music lens on Ubuntu,
actually.

2012/4/29 Launchpad Bug Tracker <email address hidden>

> ** Branch linked: lp:ubuntu/precise-proposed/unity-lens-music
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/976067
>
> Title:
> Missing album art
>
> Status in Unity:
> Fix Released
> Status in unity-lens-music:
> Fix Released
> Status in “unity-lens-music” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “unity-lens-music” source package in Precise:
> Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> Test case:
> 1. Open the dash
> 2. Switch to the music lens
> 3. Search for music
> -> Songs that are from albums should have their covers displayed in
> the search results
>
>
> ===
>
> Open the dash -> Music Lens -> my music dosn't always have the picture of
> the album
> System up to date with Unity 5.8.0. Sometimes it works well but sometimes
> not.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: unity 5.8.0+bzr2252ubuntu0+677 [origin: LP-PPA-unity-team]
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-22.35-generic-pae 3.2.14
> Uname: Linux 3.2.0-22-generic-pae i686
> ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu4
> Architecture: i386
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386
> (20120406)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/976067/+subscriptions
>

--
Pablo Almeida
http://www.google.com/profiles/pabloalmeidaff9

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package unity-lens-music - 5.12.0-0ubuntu1

---------------
unity-lens-music (5.12.0-0ubuntu1) precise-proposed; urgency=low

  * New upstream release.
    - Music Lens doesn't work for albums in Precise with Rhythmbox
      (LP: #970509)
    - most genres do nothing (LP: #851424)
    - Missing album art (LP: #976067)
  * debian/control:
    - add a build-dep on libtdb-dev
 -- Didier Roche <email address hidden> Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:33:01 +0200

Changed in unity-lens-music (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Changed in unity-lens-music (Ubuntu Precise):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
shane (shane-animail) wrote :

But it's not fixed. It still only shows artwork of PLAYED music.

This bug shows as 'Fix Released', but the proposed fix never got merged.

lp:~mhr3/unity-lens-music/rb-parse-tdb

David Callé (davidc3) wrote :
shane (shane-animail) wrote :

As I said before, why is this marked as fixed released when it still isn't fixed even in the latest 12.10 beta?

same problem here..

bwat47 (bwat47) wrote :

I'm still seeing this problem on a fresh 12.10 install. Its only showing album art for songs that have already been played...

Kim Nguyễn (kim.nguyen) wrote :

Hi,

as far as I can see there are two providers for local files, banshee and rhythmbox that behaves like this:

Banshee:
(1) Loads whatever album art is available at the time of import and populates a directory in ~/.cache/ with
album arts previews. This album art can be: (a) embedded in the mp3 files (b) an album.png/jpg file in the
track directory (c) retrieve online (using a plugin).
(2) If the album-art is added (but not modified, for instance, if a track did not have any album art and an
album.png file is dropped in the track's directory) the album-art is updated in the cache directory.
* Problem (mild) if someone adds new music files to his/her Music directory, the album art will only show in
the music-lens *after* banshee has been launched (to update its database and ~/.cache directory)

Rhythmbox:
(1) Loads the album art (a) embedded in the file or (b) retrieved online (via a plugin I think) but does not
honor album.png and such files.
(2) Album art is only loaded when a song is played.
* Problem (this bug report): the album-art does not show up until the song has been played in rhythmbox,
which is far from optimal.
-----------------------
unity-lens-music does the following:
Banshee provider: if the thumbnail is not available through banshee, return a default icon
Rhythmbox provider: if the thumbnail is not available through rhythmbox, try through
nautilus thumbnail cache, then try to read a 'cover' directory in ~/.cache/rhyhmbox which
should contain a thumbnail for the track. If all that fails, return the default icon.
-----------------------
I'm attaching the following proof of concept patch which tries to load the following files:
album, cover, folder (optionally prefixed with a "." and ending with ".png" or ".jpg") from
the directory containing the track.

An updated package is available for quantal on my ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~kim.nguyen/+archive/ppa

I've done some limited testing with either banshee or rhythmbox installed, wiping their
caches and re-importing my mp3 files. The result seems ok.

Enjoy.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers