Currently Unity provides about two dozen keyboard shortcuts which are completely hardcoded.
It is essenetial from a productivity standpoint for the user to be able to configure any of those. It was possible with Metacity / Compiz through the Keyboard Shortcuts window. The same interface could be used for Unity for updating its configuration and possibly featuring few Unity-specific keybindings.
- All the unity keyboard shortcuts (defined in the following document, https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/document/d/1jqeKtIJwqLtl58Wk_fqjr9Rrgxn9zsouCYOo-cZsLSE/edit?hl=en_GB ) should be present and configurable using the 'Keyboard/Shortcuts' panel in 'System Settings'
- Any keyboard shortcuts that are not supported by Unity should be removed.
Review the following keyboard shortcut bugs before fixing this bug:
- F10 shortcut is used to show menu and this is wrong (bug #878492)
- Ctrl Alt Del doesn't do what most people typing it would expect (bug #890747)
- Unity window placement shortcuts require a numpad (bug #751050)
- Add keyboard shortcut hint overlay that is displayed when a user presses and holds the Super key (bug #855532)
- The grid keybindings are behaving inconsistently (bug #878820)
- Make Unity keyboard shortcuts configurable (bug #775434)
- Shortcuts need to updated as part of the 12.04 upgrade (bug #891757)
- Unity should also use Super-L to lock screen by default (bug #830709)
- Improvements to Launcher reveal when Super is pressed behaviour (bug #905342)