Gnome Light Version

Bug #755210 reported by Mystilleef
12
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ugr-seeds
Opinion
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

When I was a Gentoo user, in another life, they had a package called gnome-light. gnome-light was a minimalist installation of GNOME. It included only packages needed to run the most basic Gnome Desktop (nautilus, gnome-panel, gdm and their dependencies). No browsers, no email clients, no chat program, no games, almost no desktop application was installed in gnome-light. The idea was that users would choose which desktop application they'd install and only the ones they needed. For example, back then people preferred Galeon over Epiphany or Thunderbird over Evolution and so on. In other words, people installed packages as they needed them. It was a system administrator's dream come true.

Now Gentoo's package management system is a lot more flexible than Debian's as far as I'm concerned so I don't even know if this is possible. However, if this is possible with Debian, it'll be nice if there was a Gubuntu-light CD or a gnome-light meta package. This package would include only packages needed to run a functioning Gnome Shell, nothing more. Administrators will then have the option of choosing which email client, web browser, word processor or desktop applications in general they want to install.

Revision history for this message
JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

This is a good idea. Metapackages are *really* easy to make, just update the metapackage-map, debian/control, and all corresponding dependency and recommends files.

Changed in ugr-meta:
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
Revision history for this message
dino99 (9d9) wrote :

that s will be a good and expected alternative to Lubuntu on small/old sized hardware, not everyone need those fatty metapackages, let users to customize them as they need.

Revision history for this message
hrhnick (hrhnick) wrote : Re: [Bug 755210] Re: Gnome Light Version

I feel like a minimal GNOME would almost constitute a project in it of
itself.
On Apr 9, 2011 10:30 AM, "dino99" <email address hidden> wrote:
> that s will be a good and expected alternative to Lubuntu on small/old
> sized hardware, not everyone need those fatty metapackages, let users to
> customize them as they need.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
> Gnome Remix Team, which is subscribed to ugr-meta.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/755210
>
> Title:
> Gnome Light Version
>
> Status in Ubuntu Gnome Remix Metapackages:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> When I was a Gentoo user, in another life, they had a package called
> gnome-light. gnome-light was a minimalist installation of GNOME. It
> included only packages needed to run the most basic Gnome Desktop
> (nautilus, gnome-panel, gdm and their dependencies). No browsers, no
> email clients, no chat program, no games, almost no desktop
> application was installed in gnome-light. The idea was that users
> would choose which desktop application they'd install and only the
> ones they needed. For example, back then people preferred Galeon over
> Epiphany or Thunderbird over Evolution and so on. In other words,
> people installed packages as they needed them. It was a system
> administrator's dream come true.
>
> Now Gentoo's package management system is a lot more flexible than
> Debian's as far as I'm concerned so I don't even know if this is
> possible. However, if this is possible with Debian, it'll be nice if
> there was a Gubuntu-light CD or a gnome-light meta package. This
> package would include only packages needed to run a functioning Gnome
> Shell, nothing more. Administrators will then have the option of
> choosing which email client, web browser, word processor or desktop
> applications in general they want to install.

Revision history for this message
JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

Actually, it wouldn't be a big project to do this. As long as the main UGR project has all the needed parts, it just requires a metapackage update.

Revision history for this message
Chris Gummin (proxy-qtz-deactivatedaccount) wrote :

Ta-da! I've registered the ugr-lite blueprint for the Lite version of UGR.

Changed in ugr-meta:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Revision history for this message
Chris Gummin (proxy-qtz-deactivatedaccount) wrote :

I'll begin work on this as soon as I can.

Changed in ugr-meta:
status: In Progress → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Mystilleef (mystilleef) wrote :

Hey Chris,

I see you updated the status to incomplete. Are you guys puttings this on hold temporarily?

Revision history for this message
Chris Gummin (proxy-qtz-deactivatedaccount) wrote :

Yes, unfortunately. We need to focus on getting UGR launched. We will try to incorporate a lite release for the Oneiric release.

Changed in ugr-meta:
status: Incomplete → Opinion
Revision history for this message
Mystilleef (mystilleef) wrote :

Cool, thanks

Revision history for this message
JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

If someone looks in the code for ugr-meta and ubuntu-desktop minimal
and creates a list of target packages, I will be happy to add it, but
I don't have the time to do it myself.

On May 5, 2011, at 4:50 PM, Mystilleef <email address hidden> wrote:

> Cool, thanks
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to UGR
> (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) Project.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/755210
>
> Title:
> Gnome Light Version
>
> Status in Ubuntu Gnome Remix Metapackages:
> Opinion
>
> Bug description:
> When I was a Gentoo user, in another life, they had a package called
> gnome-light. gnome-light was a minimalist installation of GNOME. It
> included only packages needed to run the most basic Gnome Desktop
> (nautilus, gnome-panel, gdm and their dependencies). No browsers, no
> email clients, no chat program, no games, almost no desktop
> application was installed in gnome-light. The idea was that users
> would choose which desktop application they'd install and only the
> ones they needed. For example, back then people preferred Galeon over
> Epiphany or Thunderbird over Evolution and so on. In other words,
> people installed packages as they needed them. It was a system
> administrator's dream come true.
>
> Now Gentoo's package management system is a lot more flexible than
> Debian's as far as I'm concerned so I don't even know if this is
> possible. However, if this is possible with Debian, it'll be nice if
> there was a Gubuntu-light CD or a gnome-light meta package. This
> package would include only packages needed to run a functioning Gnome
> Shell, nothing more. Administrators will then have the option of
> choosing which email client, web browser, word processor or desktop
> applications in general they want to install.

Revision history for this message
Kenneth Parker (sea7kenp) wrote :

Is there any chance that the Debian and/or Gnome projects will be interested in this? As one who installed Ubuntu 12.0.4 Server and then made the mistake of entering something as silly as "apt-get install gnome", I'd REALLY love to see this, as even server administrators might need to do occasional desktop activities.

Thank you and best regards,

Kenneth Parker, Seattle, WA

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related blueprints