.u1partial files being created on Win7

Bug #689516 reported by Simon Warner on 2010-12-13
30
This bug affects 6 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu One Windows Installer
Medium
Manuel de la Peña

Bug Description

Some files do not synch on Win7 and I have a file ending .u1partial
It is not the name length as longer file names have synched.
I don't know how to repeat this nor do I have any log data from windows.
There is no .u1partial on the cloud site.
Rerunning synch recreates the partial.
In the end I deleted the partial. Downloaded the newest file manually. Ran synch and am OK.
I am synching a 32bit Ubuntu box and a 64bit Win7 laptop.

affects: ubuntuone-client → ubuntuone-windows-installer
Manuel de la Peña (mandel) wrote :

This could mean that the network had an issue while downloading the files. Can you please try to perform an other sync and see what happens. Are always the same files?

Simon Warner (simon-t-warner) wrote :

I just did a synch and got three partials. These are not all the same files. Two originated on windows and were changed on Ubunutu. Another started life on Ubuntu. All three appear to be the right size for a whole file. Same size as there true compatriots on Windows. I think the download must be working but then they aren't replacing the original. In the same synch some new files downloaded fine, but they didn't have a file of the same name to overwrite.

Not really sure how to help you fix this. But it is a real problem.

Manuel de la Peña (mandel) wrote :

This might be an issue related with the fact that on windows you cannot renamed files that are currently under use. Can you confirm that you did not have those files opened by any process. The easiest way I know how to do that is using Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653) and find a file/handler with the name of the failed downloaded file.

I fear this is an issue we cannot work around, but nevertheless I'm thinking how to work around it.

Simon Warner (simon-t-warner) wrote :

I'll keep looking, but I am certain that at least one file wasn't held by any process. That was the .PDF file. If a file cannot be written because it is open, perhaps we could get a message to tell us this.

Changed in ubuntuone-windows-installer:
status: New → In Progress
Changed in ubuntuone-windows-installer:
importance: Undecided → Medium
assignee: nobody → Manuel de la Pena (mandel)
status: In Progress → Triaged
B.A. (kondu12) wrote :

This .u1partial problem is extremely annoying and it stops me from using U1 in windows environment.
After editing an .xls file in Ubuntu environment it syncs it on the WEB correctly. But after synchronising in Win7 environment I found a file with .u1partial extension that is identical to the original file content. Under the original file name I found the old version of the file in Win7, thus after synchronising again in the Win7 the old version was uploaded to the WEB (and of course to the Ubuntu machine).
This bug results in that the modification in the .xls were lost, only the .u1partial file contains the correct version only in the Win7 directory.
To avoid data loss after each syncronisation in Win7 environment I have to delete all updated .xls manually and rename all .xls.u1partial extension to the correct .xls extension in the file names.

Manuel de la Peña (mandel) wrote :

This bug has been fixed in the new private beta (there partials are stored in AppData) therefore I'll set the bug as fixed.

Changed in ubuntuone-windows-installer:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers