The current functionality of the Ubuntu One icon in the taskbar notification area is as follows:
On mouseover - nothing
Right-click - links to "Restore" and "Quit Ubuntu One"
On mouseover should at least display "Ubuntu One". If the mouseover could display some connection status or sync status information that would be even better.
"Ubuntu One is disconnected"
"Ubuntu One is connecting"
"Ubuntu One is connected"
"Ubuntu One is syncing"
I recommend the following for right-click options:
- Connection status - disconnected, connecting, or connected
- Detailed sync activity - # files to sync followed by x file is being uploaded/downloaded and is y% complete
- Amount of free cloud storage left in my account
- A link to launch the "Control panel" or "Dashboard" ... not sure what we're calling it now
- "Quit Ubuntu One" is a good thing to have but only if it actually kills all Ubuntu One processes. If it only closes the control panel then it doesn't do what users would expect it to do. It should also remove this taskbar notification area icon.
I assume that to restart all features of Ubuntu One, the user would only have to open the control panel.