While syncing a large file, existing files in the webinterface vanish..

Bug #434607 reported by Bas Janssen on 2009-09-22
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ubuntu One Client
Medium
Lucio Torre

Bug Description

While the client was uploading a large file (completely saturating my network, but that's another issue) the folder display on the webpage showed none of my previously uploaded files. (empty directory). Only after i cancelled the sync, my files were visible again.

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
CrashDB: ubuntuone
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: ubuntuone-client 0.95.0+r213-0ubuntu1~ppa2~jaunty
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 LC_TIME=nl_NL.utf8
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=nl_NL.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/usernameh
 LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
SourcePackage: ubuntuone-client
ThirdParty: True
Uname: Linux 2.6.28-15-generic i686
UnreportableReason: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package

Bas Janssen (bas-dds) wrote :
Vincenzo Di Somma (vds) wrote :

On the web ui the files are loaded with ajax so it can happen that you see the page first and the list of files just after, can the saturation of the bandwidth have stopped any other download from firefox?

Changed in ubuntuone-client:
status: New → Incomplete

Did a a few test, and this seems to be the problem yes.

After the sync is done, the files do appear in the webinterface again.
during the sync

But when i change the max upload/download bandwidth (both default to
2028KB) to 1mbit up / 128Kbit down, the client still seems to completely
saturate my internet connection when uploading large files

I Have a pretty fast adsl line here - 20Mbit down, 1Mbit up...

Simple wget during uploading:

------
bas@bas:~$ time wget www.dds.nl
--2009-09-24 10:52:39-- http://www.dds.nl/
Resolving www.dds.nl... 85.17.178.165
Connecting to www.dds.nl|85.17.178.165|:80... connected.
<WAIT>
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `index.html.2'

     [ <=> ] 9.256 3,23K/s in
2,8s

2009-09-24 10:52:47 (3,23 KB/s) - `index.html.2' saved [9256]

real 0m7.800s
------

compared to when the client is not uploading:

------
bas@bas:~$ time wget www.dds.nl
--2009-09-24 10:54:26-- http://www.dds.nl/
Resolving www.dds.nl... 85.17.178.165
Connecting to www.dds.nl|85.17.178.165|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `index.html.3'

     [ <=> ] 9.256 --.-K/s in
0,03s

2009-09-24 10:54:26 (361 KB/s) - `index.html.3' saved [9256]

real 0m0.079s
------

Might want to close this bug and file a new one?

--
Bas Janssen /. <email address hidden> /. www.bas.dds.nl /. PGP#0x22FA2C9F

When facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-- Albert Einstein

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Vincenzo Di Somma wrote:

> On the web ui the files are loaded with ajax so it can happen that you
> see the page first and the list of files just after, can the saturation
> of the bandwidth have stopped any other download from firefox?
>
> ** Changed in: ubuntuone-client
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> While syncing a large file, existing files in the webinterface vanish..
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/434607
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Ubuntu One Client: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> While the client was uploading a large file (completely saturating my network, but that's another issue) the folder display on the webpage showed none of my previously uploaded files. (empty directory). Only after i cancelled the sync, my files were visible again.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> Architecture: i386
> CrashDB: ubuntuone
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Package: ubuntuone-client 0.95.0+r213-0ubuntu1~ppa2~jaunty
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcEnviron:
> LC_TIME=nl_NL.utf8
> PATH=(custom, user)
> LANG=nl_NL.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/usernameh
> LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
> SourcePackage: ubuntuone-client
> ThirdParty: True
> Uname: Linux 2.6.28-15-generic i686
> UnreportableReason: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package
>

Vincenzo Di Somma (vds) on 2009-09-25
Changed in ubuntuone-client:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Medium
assignee: nobody → Vincenzo Di Somma (vds)
assignee: Vincenzo Di Somma (vds) → Lucio Torre (lucio.torre)
Lucio Torre (lucio.torre) wrote :

We now have a settings panel where you can change the maximum upload/download speed for syncdaemon and a new web ui that will fail differently, so im closing this bug. If you still see this issue please re open with more details. thanks.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers