Update to 0.27.1 point release

Bug #1323391 reported by Mario Limonciello on 2014-05-26
14
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
mythtv (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Trusty
Undecided
Unassigned
Utopic
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

[Impact]

 * Upstream has just released a bug fix point release for the 0.27 MythTV release. As Mythbuntu is only does LTS releases, upstream would like to see this updated in our base OS before the next Mythbuntu point release.

 * Before reviewing and filing additional bugs, upstream would like to see users on this point release release.

 * Most of the fixes are directly user facing. The biggest improvement is to the the LiveTV performance and to the fullscreen behavior to both XFCE as well as Unity.

[Test Case]

 * Set up a functional production mythtv install with the 0.27 release. Upgrade to 0.27.1 and ensure that no new regressions have been introduced.

[Regression Potential]

 * upstream has been staging all of the fixes in a devel/027candidates branch for the last few months with continuous calls to feedback and more resulting fixes. They just recently tagged 0.27.1

 * Regression potential is low due to this iterative process as well as the fact that it's a bug fix only release.

 * All of the changes and individual fixed bugs are called out in the upstream changelog for 0.27.1:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.27.1

description: updated
description: updated
Changed in mythtv (Ubuntu Trusty):
status: New → In Progress
Changed in mythtv (Ubuntu Utopic):
status: New → Triaged
MarcRandolph (mrand) wrote :

I've preformed the test case on an otherwise unaltered 0.27 install and everything I've tried so far works fine - recommend releasing.

To be clear, mrand you used the build on the PPA right? This still hasn't
been accepted into trusty-proposed. We're waiting on that to move forward.

For those unaware, the mythtv team provides a PPA that automatically builds
against the 0.27-fixes branch that this 0.27.1 release has come from.

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM, MarcRandolph <email address hidden> wrote:

> I've preformed the test case on an otherwise unaltered 0.27 install and
> everything I've tried so far works fine - recommend releasing.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1323391
>
> Title:
> Update to 0.27.1 point release
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/1323391/+subscriptions
>

--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

MarcRandolph (mrand) wrote :

Yes, via the PPA. Guess I should have waited for the trusty-proposed... :-(

Chris J Arges (arges) wrote :

Before accepting this into trusty-proposed, it should first go into utopic.
Thanks,

Jean-Yves Avenard (jyavenard) wrote :

I'll merge the devel/027candidates and make a 0.27.2 tag later today

On Friday, June 27, 2014, Mario Limonciello <email address hidden> wrote:

> It has been uploaded to utopic:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/utopic/+source/mythtv/2:0.27.1+fixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu1
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1323391
>
> Title:
> Update to 0.27.1 point release
>
> Status in “mythtv” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “mythtv” source package in Trusty:
> In Progress
> Status in “mythtv” source package in Utopic:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> [Impact]
>
> * Upstream has just released a bug fix point release for the 0.27
> MythTV release. As Mythbuntu is only does LTS releases, upstream
> would like to see this updated in our base OS before the next
> Mythbuntu point release.
>
> * Before reviewing and filing additional bugs, upstream would like to
> see users on this point release release.
>
> * Most of the fixes are directly user facing. The biggest
> improvement is to the the LiveTV performance and to the fullscreen
> behavior to both XFCE as well as Unity.
>
> [Test Case]
>
> * Set up a functional production mythtv install with the 0.27
> release. Upgrade to 0.27.1 and ensure that no new regressions have
> been introduced.
>
> [Regression Potential]
>
> * upstream has been staging all of the fixes in a devel/027candidates
> branch for the last few months with continuous calls to feedback and
> more resulting fixes. They just recently tagged 0.27.1
>
> * Regression potential is low due to this iterative process as well
> as the fact that it's a bug fix only release.
>
> * All of the changes and individual fixed bugs are called out in the
> upstream changelog for 0.27.1:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.27.1
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/1323391/+subscriptions
>

Chris Halse Rogers (raof) wrote :

Is someone dealing with the 0.27.1 FTBFS on powerpc in Utopic? That looks like it'll hit this as well. (Also, mythtv really bundles a copy of ffmpeg?)

I'll be honest, I didn't even know we are building for PowerPC anymore. I'm
in vacation until tomorrow, so hopefully superm1 can look at it.

And yes, ffmpeg is shipped with MythTV. I'll have to look up the exact
reasons tomorrow, but I believe there are issues when it doesn't
On Jul 29, 2014 6:35 PM, "Chris Halse Rogers" <email address hidden> wrote:

> Is someone dealing with the 0.27.1 FTBFS on powerpc in Utopic? That
> looks like it'll hit this as well. (Also, mythtv really bundles a copy
> of ffmpeg?)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mythbuntu
> Bug Team, which is subscribed to mythtv in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1323391
>
> Title:
> Update to 0.27.1 point release
>
> Status in “mythtv” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in “mythtv” source package in Trusty:
> In Progress
> Status in “mythtv” source package in Utopic:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> [Impact]
>
> * Upstream has just released a bug fix point release for the 0.27
> MythTV release. As Mythbuntu is only does LTS releases, upstream
> would like to see this updated in our base OS before the next
> Mythbuntu point release.
>
> * Before reviewing and filing additional bugs, upstream would like to
> see users on this point release release.
>
> * Most of the fixes are directly user facing. The biggest
> improvement is to the the LiveTV performance and to the fullscreen
> behavior to both XFCE as well as Unity.
>
> [Test Case]
>
> * Set up a functional production mythtv install with the 0.27
> release. Upgrade to 0.27.1 and ensure that no new regressions have
> been introduced.
>
> [Regression Potential]
>
> * upstream has been staging all of the fixes in a devel/027candidates
> branch for the last few months with continuous calls to feedback and
> more resulting fixes. They just recently tagged 0.27.1
>
> * Regression potential is low due to this iterative process as well
> as the fact that it's a bug fix only release.
>
> * All of the changes and individual fixed bugs are called out in the
> upstream changelog for 0.27.1:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.27.1
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/1323391/+subscriptions
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-bugs
> Post to : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-bugs
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

Adam Conrad (adconrad) wrote :

The powerpc and ppc64el build failures should be resolved by the 0.27.1+fixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu2 upload I just made to utopic. We probably want both those patches in any trusty upload as well.

On 31 July 2014 15:44, Adam Conrad <adconrad@0c3.net> wrote:
> The powerpc and ppc64el build failures should be resolved by the
> 0.27.1+fixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu2 upload I just made to utopic. We
> probably want both those patches in any trusty upload as well.

give me shell access to one of those machines, and I will resolve it quickly...

if not, well I'll take this as no one care enough about it to make it
worth fixing

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

jya,

Adam fixed this with two patches here:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/181106499/mythtv_2%3A0.27.1%2Bfixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu1_2%3A0.27.1%2Bfixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu2.diff.gz

Please apply them upstream as well.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> On 31 July 2014 15:44, Adam Conrad <adconrad@0c3.net> wrote:
> > The powerpc and ppc64el build failures should be resolved by the
> > 0.27.1+fixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu2 upload I just made to utopic. We
> > probably want both those patches in any trusty upload as well.
>
>
> give me shell access to one of those machines, and I will resolve it
> quickly...
>
> if not, well I'll take this as no one care enough about it to make it
> worth fixing
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1323391
>
> Title:
> Update to 0.27.1 point release
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/1323391/+subscriptions
>

--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

Jean-Yves Avenard (jyavenard) wrote :

On Friday, August 1, 2014, Mario Limonciello <email address hidden> wrote:

> jya,
>
> Adam fixed this with two patches here:
>
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/181106499/mythtv_2%3A0.27.1%2Bfixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu1_2%3A0.27.1%2Bfixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu2.diff.gz
>
> Please apply them upstream as
>

I will not patch ffmpeg. I don't see the need to, there are better ways.

If you believe the issue is with ffmpeg, they will have to be submitted to
them first.

I have an old PowerBook g4 somewhere. I'll try over the week end

Adam Conrad (adconrad) wrote :

> I will not patch ffmpeg. I don't see the need to, there are better ways.

Is this in reference to the little-endian fix (there are not better ways, that fix just needs to be submitted upstream), or in reference to the bswap_dbl conflict fix? The latter could certainly be fixed in mythtv instead, the point is that both mythtv and ffmpeg can't be declaring that symbol, and the ffmpeg one is unused anyway, so this was surgically the simplest way forward for me to fix it in the distro.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package mythtv - 2:0.27.1+fixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu2

---------------
mythtv (2:0.27.1+fixes.20140624.aa822f5-0ubuntu2) utopic; urgency=medium

  * avoid_bswap_conflict.patch: Rename the unused bswap_dbl function from
    ffmpeg to avoid a symbol conflict on big-endian arches like powerpc.
  * ppc64el-abiv2.patch: Snag patch from libav for ppc64el (LP: #1263802)
 -- Adam Conrad <email address hidden> Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:08:37 -0600

Changed in mythtv (Ubuntu Utopic):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers