[Hardy] Xfce4 xinitrc script not executed on login

Bug #220899 reported by ubuntu4fun on 2008-04-23
130
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xubuntu-default-settings (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
Hardy
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

A regression has developed in the xubuntu-default-settings package when the gdm settings was inappropriately "re-synced"" with Ubuntu's which results in the proper xinitrc script not being executed by default which consequentially resulted in a number of bugs such as the screen saver not properly starting and improper/unexpected session settings. This is a serious regression.

A work around is available that involves the user clicking the "session" button at the login screen and specifically selecting Xfce4 before logging in. This will result in the proper login process taking place. Users can make Xfce4 their default session so that they are no longer affected by this regression. As expected, users who had installed Ubuntu previously before installing Xubuntu will not have experienced this problem since they would have to take this action to login to the xfce4 desktop in the first place (or users who have selected the Xfce4 session specifically for whatever reason).

To determine if a user is affected, they will meet the following criteria:

1) They most likely will have installed Xubuntu first or have no other Ubuntu derivative installed;
2) The contents of ~/.dmrc will most likely be as follows (as enclosed by [File ...] ... [/File]):

[File ~/.dmrc]

[Desktop]
Session=default
[/File]

To confirm, output of ~/.xsession-errors can be examined.

Users whose ~/.dmrc file read "Session=xfce4" will experience the normal login process and are not affected.

The fix for this bug is to update the gdm config file shipped in xubuntu-default-settings to use the xfce4.desktop session file instead of default.desktop and to notify users of the existing install the possible need to follow the workaround procedure.

TEST:
1. Install Xubuntu vanilla.
2. Login
3. Determine that /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc did not execute on login (a good indicator would be that gnome-screensaver is not running)
4. Install updated package
5. Login again, /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc should have executed on login (or at least for new users)

description: updated
description: updated
Eero Tamminen (oak-helsinkinet) wrote :

> Ristretto the memory usage reached up to 111,5 MB

How this was measured?

(about most relevant figure is the "Writable" column in the gnome-system-monitor)

ubuntu4fun (k2osuchowski) wrote :

I used GNOME-system-monitor ("Memory" column).

To reproduce the bug You have to choose a folder with a lot of photos (a single file in my case was about 2.2 MB on HDD) and start to browse very fast. As for now there are serious memory leaks in Ristretto, but I hope the project will be developed.

Any chance to fix it for Hardy?

I think that fixing the first bug (open images by image EDITOR by default) doesn't require much effort and is very important for the LTS (!) release.

Changed in xubuntu-default-settings:
importance: Undecided → Medium
milestone: none → ubuntu-8.04.1
status: New → Confirmed

BTW, I noticed also that ristretto doesn't open *.png files from its menu.
When you launch ristretto, and choose "open" from its menu, you can browse
through folders searching for image files, but ristretto can't open them
unless you launch Thunar and choose from right-click menu "open with
ristretto" option.

I wonder if choosing gThumb as a default image browser and organizer (like
in the latest Fedora) wouldn't be better solution for Xubuntu, wihich
actually doesn't have simple image editor nor organizer for the images.

2008/4/27 Cody A.W. Somerville <email address hidden>:

> ** Changed in: xubuntu-default-settings (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => Medium
> Status: New => Confirmed
> Target: None => ubuntu-8.04.1
>
> --
> [Hardy] Wrong default image browser
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/220899
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

ubuntu4fun (k2osuchowski) wrote :

Here is a list of the gThumb features:

http://gthumb.sourceforge.net/features.html

The new development version 2.11 from svn is IMHO even better than Eye of
GNOME and F-Spot together, but it requires libopenrawgnome to be installed
on Hardy.

2008/4/27 <email address hidden>:

> BTW, I noticed also that ristretto doesn't open *.png files from its menu.
> When you launch ristretto, and choose "open" from its menu, you can browse
> through folders searching for image files, but ristretto can't open them
> unless you launch Thunar and choose from right-click menu "open with
> ristretto" option.
>
> I wonder if choosing gThumb as a default image browser and organizer (like
> in the latest Fedora) wouldn't be better solution for Xubuntu, wihich
> actually doesn't have simple image editor nor organizer for the images.
>
>
>
> 2008/4/27 Cody A.W. Somerville <email address hidden>:
>
> ** Changed in: xubuntu-default-settings (Ubuntu)
> > Importance: Undecided => Medium
> > Status: New => Confirmed
> > Target: None => ubuntu-8.04.1
> >
> > --
> > [Hardy] Wrong default image browser
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/220899
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
>

I don't know if you are aware of this but if you can report a bug to change the default image viewer, you can also file a bug for the issues you have with ristretto...

Concerning the memory usage, it's not a leak, I just reported this upstream and in fact it's a problem with the cache size calculation. By default, in the dialog it says 64mb, but in fact it'll make the cache size ~ 200 mb which explains why it takes so much memory... This is being worked upstream. Until this is fixed, you can set the cache limit to something like 20, which will cut the memory usage.

But again if you had reported bugs in the right place, this could have been fixed a lot faster...

Changed in xubuntu-default-settings:
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Steve Langasek (vorlon) on 2008-06-07
Changed in xubuntu-default-settings:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
milestone: ubuntu-8.04.1 → none
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package xubuntu-default-settings - 0.40

---------------
xubuntu-default-settings (0.40) intrepid; urgency=low

  * etc/xdg/xubuntu/gdm/gdm.conf:
    - Updated to use xfce4.desktop session instead of default.desktop
      which should fix a number of bugs caused by Xubuntu not properly
      starting.
    - Closes lp: #220899
    - Closes lp: #224444
    - Closes lp: #200665

 -- <email address hidden> (Cody A.W. Somerville) Sun, 15 Jun 2008 06:12:35 -0300

Changed in xubuntu-default-settings:
status: Triaged → Fix Released

xubuntu-default-settings_0.39.1 uploaded to hardy-proposed.

Changed in xubuntu-default-settings:
milestone: none → ubuntu-8.04.1
importance: Medium → High

No sightings of the bug since then for me, hopefully the workaround did it, thank you for great work!

tarntow (tarntow-gmail) wrote :

Thanks to 'cody-somerville' I am able to get screensaver to work on Xubuntu 8.04.

The instructions are: click sessions at login and select xfce4 and then login. To check if it worked, look at .dmrc in home directory. It should read: Session= xfce4 Instead of: Session=default

description: updated
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Accepted into -proposed, please test and give feedback here. Please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Changed in xubuntu-default-settings:
milestone: ubuntu-8.04.1 → none
status: Triaged → Fix Committed

I've tested this and had a user in #xubuntu last evening do the same. Marking as verification-done.

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Copied to hardy-updates.

Changed in xubuntu-default-settings:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Avinash.Rao (avinash-aol) wrote :

Dear All,

I am using Xfce on Ubuntu Server 8.04 and whenever i open a image file, GIMP Image editor opens up?
How do i change the default Image Viewer to Ristretto Image viewer or any other image viewer application? I have lots of LTSP users and this is a bit crucial.

I searched for the xubuntu-default-settings file on my server, but it doesnt exists, is it a tool that i can use?

Please help
Thanks
Avinash

Jarno Suni (jarnos) wrote :

Avinash.Rao, please use e.g http://ubuntuforums.org/ for these kind if questions, and mention which way you use to open image files.

Thanks

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Jarno Suni<email address hidden> wrote:
> Avinash.Rao, please use e.g http://ubuntuforums.org/ for these kind if
> questions, and mention which way you use to open image files.
>
> --
> [Hardy] Xfce4 xinitrc script not executed on login
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/220899
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “xubuntu-default-settings” package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
> Status in xubuntu-default-settings in Ubuntu Hardy: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> A regression has developed in the xubuntu-default-settings package when the gdm settings was inappropriately "re-synced"" with Ubuntu's which results in the proper xinitrc script not being executed by default which consequentially resulted in a number of bugs such as the screen saver not properly starting and improper/unexpected session settings. This is a serious regression.
>
> A work around is available that involves the user clicking the "session" button at the login screen and specifically selecting Xfce4 before logging in. This will result in the proper login process taking place. Users can make Xfce4 their default session so that they are no longer affected by this regression. As expected, users who had installed Ubuntu previously before installing Xubuntu will not have experienced this problem since they would have to take this action to login to the xfce4 desktop in the first place (or users who have selected the Xfce4 session specifically for whatever reason).
>
> To determine if a user is affected, they will meet the following criteria:
>
> 1) They most likely will have installed Xubuntu first or have no other Ubuntu derivative installed;
> 2) The contents of ~/.dmrc will most likely be as follows (as enclosed by [File ...] ... [/File]):
>
> [File ~/.dmrc]
>
> [Desktop]
> Session=default
> [/File]
>
> To confirm, output of ~/.xsession-errors can be examined.
>
> Users whose ~/.dmrc file read "Session=xfce4" will experience the normal login process and are not affected.
>
> The fix for this bug is to update the gdm config file shipped in xubuntu-default-settings to use the xfce4.desktop session file instead of default.desktop and to notify users of the existing install the possible need to follow the workaround procedure.
>
> TEST:
> 1. Install Xubuntu vanilla.
> 2. Login
> 3. Determine that /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc did not execute on login (a good indicator would be that gnome-screensaver is not running)
> 4. Install updated package
> 5. Login again, /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc should have executed on login (or at least for new users)
>
>
>
>

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments