mouse pasted text not shown

Bug #775967 reported by auquicu on 2011-05-02
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xterm (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: xterm

Start X, and under X an xterm running bash.
Select some text and paste it at the command prompt. It is not echoed. Type any keyboard character and the mouse-pasted text appears, followed by the typed character.
This is not a bash problem: typing to cat or ed shows the same results.
On the other hand, pasting works fine in firefox or in emacs, in programs not on an xterm.
Also on the console (not under X) all is fine.

Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-server 2.6.38.2
Description: Ubuntu 11.04
Release: 11.04
xterm:
  Installed: 268-1ubuntu1
  Candidate: 268-1ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 268-1ubuntu1 0
        500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

On Mon, 2 May 2011, auquicu wrote:

> Public bug reported:
>
> Binary package hint: xterm
>
> Start X, and under X an xterm running bash.
> Select some text and paste it at the command prompt. It is not echoed. Type any keyboard character and the mouse-pasted text appears, followed by the typed character.
> This is not a bash problem: typing to cat or ed shows the same results.

On the other hand, it may not be an xterm bug. Is your problem using
the compiz-based window manager, or "classic"?

(I did install a 11.04 VM last week, but haven't gotten around to making
it usable yet ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net

auquicu (aebsbkrs) wrote :

>> Public bug reported:
>>
>> Binary package hint: xterm
>>
>> Start X, and under X an xterm running bash.
>> Select some text and paste it at the command prompt. It is not echoed.
>> Type any keyboard character and the mouse-pasted text appears, followed
>> by the typed character.
>> This is not a bash problem: typing to cat or ed shows the same results.
>
> On the other hand, it may not be an xterm bug. Is your problem using
> the compiz-based window manager, or "classic"?

The window manager is twm. The problem is not the window manager, I think.
If I kill twm, and type _mwm_ to the shell prompt in the current window,
then the reaction is

$ mwm
The program 'mwm' can be found in the following packages:
 * lesstif-bin
 * motif-clients
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

and nothing happens until I touch the mouse (or some key such as Shift on
the keyboard). It looks like a synchronization problem on some event
queue.

Thomas Dickey (dickey-his) wrote :

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, auquicu wrote:

>>> Public bug reported:
>>>
>>> Binary package hint: xterm
>>>
>>> Start X, and under X an xterm running bash.
>>> Select some text and paste it at the command prompt. It is not echoed.
>>> Type any keyboard character and the mouse-pasted text appears, followed
>>> by the typed character.
>>> This is not a bash problem: typing to cat or ed shows the same results.
>>
>> On the other hand, it may not be an xterm bug. Is your problem using
>> the compiz-based window manager, or "classic"?
>
> The window manager is twm. The problem is not the window manager, I think.

That sounds likely (twm should be fairly stable).

> If I kill twm, and type _mwm_ to the shell prompt in the current window,
> then the reaction is
>
> $ mwm
> The program 'mwm' can be found in the following packages:
> * lesstif-bin
> * motif-clients
> Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
>
> and nothing happens until I touch the mouse (or some key such as Shift on
> the keyboard). It looks like a synchronization problem on some event
> queue.

Perhaps the "pointerMode" resource is related. If you set it to 0 (zero),
it's supposed to disable that feature.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net

auquicu (aebsbkrs) wrote :

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, auquicu wrote:
>
>>>> Public bug reported:
>>>>
>>>> Binary package hint: xterm
>>>>
>>>> Start X, and under X an xterm running bash.
>>>> Select some text and paste it at the command prompt. It is not echoed.
>>>> Type any keyboard character and the mouse-pasted text appears,
>>>> followed by the typed character.
>>>> This is not a bash problem: typing to cat or ed shows the same
>>>> results.

>> If I kill twm, and type _mwm_ to the shell prompt in the current window,
>> then the reaction is
>>
>> $ mwm
>> The program 'mwm' can be found in the following packages:
>> * lesstif-bin
>> * motif-clients
>> Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
>>
>> and nothing happens until I touch the mouse (or some key such as Shift
>> on the keyboard). It looks like a synchronization problem on some event
>> queue.
>
> Perhaps the "pointerMode" resource is related. If you set it to 0 (zero),
> it's supposed to disable that feature.

I played a bit with pointerMode but see no relation. For 0 the mouse
pointer is shown, for 1 it is not shown until one moves the mouse.
As far as I can see, this works as documented.

I also played a bit more with the bug reported. I now find that "It is not
echoed" may have to be replaced by "It is echoed after approximately 50
seconds". However, if I open an "emacs --no-splash" window, without doing
anything there, no keyboard or mouse activity related to that emacs
window, then pasted text is echoed afted approximately 1 second.

So, the hypothesis is that emacs does some polling that xterm does not do,
and this polling moves some event queue.

That was the "select and paste and wait for the pasted text to be echoed".
The other reproducible bug is "say _mwm_, see the message about it not
being installed, and wait for the following shell prompt". This shell
prompt comes after a varying amount of time, sometimes after 50 seconds,
sometimes after 10 seconds, sometimes almost immediately. But what also
happens is that only the top half (a few but not all pixel lines) is
shown,
and the remainder appears first after a while, or upon activity of mouse
or keyboard.

I imagine that it is xterm that does the drawing, so if sometimes only the
top half of a line is displayed, that looks like an xterm or X bug.

auquicu (aebsbkrs) wrote :

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, auquicu wrote:
>
>>>> Public bug reported:
>>>>
>>>> Binary package hint: xterm
>>>>
>>>> Start X, and under X an xterm running bash.
>>>> Select some text and paste it at the command prompt. It is not echoed.
>>>> Type any keyboard character and the mouse-pasted text appears,
>>>> followed by the typed character.
>>>> This is not a bash problem: typing to cat or ed shows the same
>>>> results.

I never found out what caused this. However, an upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10
fixed it. (And made this machine usable for the first time.)

bugbot (bugbot) on 2012-05-31
tags: added: natty
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers