Gnome restart after passing the mouse on a non rectangular dual head with SIS 671 and MergedFB

Bug #813639 reported by Carlos Nogueira on 2011-07-20
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xserver-xorg-video-sis (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

- This problem is the same in ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- Tested the with several drivers.

The same in Unity-2d and Ubuntu (11.04)

The same problem in: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/575002 (status: Incomplete → Expired)

This happens when i use a dual head with my laptop (1280x800) and a 17" LCD (1280x1024) and MergedFB.
Because this total area creates a non rectangular area, if I pass the mouse in the non visible area (x) the x server restarts and discards all the open windows.

|-------------------------|
| Laptop | |
| | LCD |
|------------| |
        X |------------|

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: xorg 1:7.6+4ubuntu3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686
Architecture: i386
CompizPlugins: No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
CompositorRunning: None
Date: Wed Jul 20 18:11:38 2011
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: natty
DistroVariant: ubuntu
GraphicsCard:
 Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter [1039:6351] (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions Device [1734:1110]
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386 (20110427.1)
Lsusb:
 Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f3:0212 Elan Microelectronics Corp. Laser Mouse
 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
MachineType: FUJITSU SIEMENS ESPRIMO Mobile V5515
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=pt:en
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=e7fd3660-38f3-4e41-a268-252c12eaff97 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Renderer: Unknown
SourcePackage: xorg
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 11/30/07
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix
dmi.bios.version: V1.10
dmi.board.name: Z17M
dmi.board.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
dmi.board.version: V1.08
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: User Asset Tag
dmi.chassis.type: 1
dmi.chassis.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
dmi.chassis.version: V1.08
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnPhoenix:bvrV1.10:bd11/30/07:svnFUJITSUSIEMENS:pnESPRIMOMobileV5515:pvrV1.08:rvnFUJITSUSIEMENS:rnZ17M:rvrV1.08:cvnFUJITSUSIEMENS:ct1:cvrV1.08:
dmi.product.name: ESPRIMO Mobile V5515
dmi.product.version: V1.08
dmi.sys.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.4+bzr20110415-0ubuntu2
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.23-1ubuntu6
version.libgl1-mesa-dri: libgl1-mesa-dri 7.10.2-0ubuntu2
version.libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental: libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental N/A
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.2-0ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg 1:7.6+4ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.14.0-0ubuntu4
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4ubuntu7
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20110107+b795ca6e-0ubuntu7

Carlos Nogueira (b-suporte) wrote :
bugbot (bugbot) on 2011-09-08
affects: xorg (Ubuntu) → xorg-server (Ubuntu)
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Hey b-suporte,

You filed this bug report against natty, but I see it's still open and
doesn't appear to have much activity recently. So, now that oneiric
is released and stable, this may be a good point for you to upgrade
and re-test if this issue is still present there.

If it's solved in the new release and you think it's worth backporting
the fix, please indicate that. Or if having the fix in the new release
is good enough, feel free to close out the bug (or let us know and we'll
close it.)

If it's not solved, leave the bug report open. I can't promise we'll
get to it (we get way more bugs filed than we can usually get to), but
your testing and feedback can help out if and when we do.

Changed in xorg-server (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Carlos Nogueira (b-suporte) wrote :

Hi.

The bug still continues in Oneiric Ocelot using the sis git driver.

Need any report from ubuntu 11.10?

Changed in xorg-server (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Yes, updated dmesg and Xorg.0.log might be worth including.

No promises we'll look at this though; sis is a low priority driver for support.

affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu) → xserver-xorg-video-sis (Ubuntu)
Changed in xserver-xorg-video-sis (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: Confirmed → Triaged
helpfulboy02 (helpfulboy02) wrote :

will the updated fix be Back ported to 12.10?
or Earlier?
It is an important bug

Download full text (4.0 KiB)

The bug has on 12.04, don't know if is on 12.10. Don't use SIS671 anymore.
On Oct 21, 2012 8:20 AM, "helpfulboy02" <email address hidden> wrote:

> will the updated fix be Back ported to 12.10?
> or Earlier?
> It is an important bug
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/813639
>
> Title:
> Gnome restart after passing the mouse on a non rectangular dual head
> with SIS 671 and MergedFB
>
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-sis” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> - This problem is the same in ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> - Tested the with several drivers.
>
> The same in Unity-2d and Ubuntu (11.04)
>
> The same problem in: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/575002 (status:
> Incomplete → Expired)
>
> This happens when i use a dual head with my laptop (1280x800) and a 17"
> LCD (1280x1024) and MergedFB.
> Because this total area creates a non rectangular area, if I pass the
> mouse in the non visible area (x) the x server restarts and discards all
> the open windows.
>
> |-------------------------|
> | Laptop | |
> | | LCD |
> |------------| |
> X |------------|
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: xorg 1:7.6+4ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> CompizPlugins: No value set for
> `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
> CompositorRunning: None
> Date: Wed Jul 20 18:11:38 2011
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: natty
> DistroVariant: ubuntu
> GraphicsCard:
> Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter
> [1039:6351] (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions Device [1734:1110]
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386
> (20110427.1)
> Lsusb:
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f3:0212 Elan Microelectronics Corp. Laser Mouse
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> MachineType: FUJITSU SIEMENS ESPRIMO Mobile V5515
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=pt:en
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
> root=UUID=e7fd3660-38f3-4e41-a268-252c12eaff97 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> Renderer: Unknown
> SourcePackage: xorg
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 11/30/07
> dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix
> dmi.bios.version: V1.10
> dmi.board.name: Z17M
> dmi.board.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
> dmi.board.version: V1.08
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: User Asset Tag
> dmi.chassis.type: 1
> dmi.chassis.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
> dmi.chassis.version: V1.08
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnPhoenix:bvrV1.10:bd11/30/07:svnFUJITSUSIEMENS:pnESPRIMOMobileV5515:pvrV1.08:rvnFUJITSUSIEMENS:rnZ17M:rvrV1.08:cvnFUJITSUSIEMENS:ct1:cvrV1.08...

Read more...

Hello: I have the same problem running Ubuntu 12.04. I will update the dmesg shortly. Please at least glance on this matter. It is important for me and, so far I know, several people use sis drivers.

Carlos Nogueira (b-suporte) wrote :
Download full text (4.2 KiB)

Hi sorry but I had to change to nvidia. This is sis driver problem and
this is very low priority (too old)

Sorry my english
No dia 3 de Abr de 2013 14:51, "Exequiel Buenaventura" <
<email address hidden>> escreveu:
>
> Hello: I have the same problem running Ubuntu 12.04. I will update the
> dmesg shortly. Please at least glance on this matter. It is important
> for me and, so far I know, several people use sis drivers.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/813639
>
> Title:
> Gnome restart after passing the mouse on a non rectangular dual head
> with SIS 671 and MergedFB
>
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-sis” package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> - This problem is the same in ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> - Tested the with several drivers.
>
> The same in Unity-2d and Ubuntu (11.04)
>
> The same problem in: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/575002 (status:
> Incomplete → Expired)
>
> This happens when i use a dual head with my laptop (1280x800) and a 17"
LCD (1280x1024) and MergedFB.
> Because this total area creates a non rectangular area, if I pass the
mouse in the non visible area (x) the x server restarts and discards all
the open windows.
>
> |-------------------------|
> | Laptop | |
> | | LCD |
> |------------| |
> X |------------|
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: xorg 1:7.6+4ubuntu3
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
> CompositorRunning: None
> Date: Wed Jul 20 18:11:38 2011
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: natty
> DistroVariant: ubuntu
> GraphicsCard:
> Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter
[1039:6351] (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions Device [1734:1110]
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386
(20110427.1)
> Lsusb:
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f3:0212 Elan Microelectronics Corp. Laser
Mouse
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> MachineType: FUJITSU SIEMENS ESPRIMO Mobile V5515
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=pt:en
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
root=UUID=e7fd3660-38f3-4e41-a268-252c12eaff97 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> Renderer: Unknown
> SourcePackage: xorg
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 11/30/07
> dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix
> dmi.bios.version: V1.10
> dmi.board.name: Z17M
> dmi.board.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
> dmi.board.version: V1.08
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: User Asset Tag
> dmi.chassis.type: 1
> dmi.chassis.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
> dmi.chassi...

Read more...

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers