Xorg freeze

Bug #745894 reported by Marco Buono on 2011-03-30
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: xorg

during the start up process the screen freezed into a page full of ascii symbols and system was
blocked

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: xorg 1:7.6~3ubuntu11
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.39-generic 2.6.38
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic x86_64
Architecture: amd64
CompizPlugins: [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,mousepoll,vpswitch,regex,animation,snap,expo,move,compiztoolbox,place,grid,imgpng,gnomecompat,wall,ezoom,workarounds,staticswitcher,resize,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,scale,session,unityshell]
CompositorRunning: None
DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
DRM.card0.LVDS.1:
 status: connected
 enabled: enabled
 dpms: On
 modes: 1280x800 1024x768 800x600 640x480 720x400 640x400 640x350
 edid-base64: AP///////wBEkycAAAAAAAAPAQOAIRV4Ck3Ak1xRiCchUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB6hoAgFAgEDAVIEQAS88QAAAYAAAADwAIACoAAQAEADJKBBQCAAAA/gBRVUFOVEFESVNQTEFZAAAA/gBRRDE1VEwwMjQKICAgAKo=
DRM.card0.VGA.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
Date: Wed Mar 30 16:53:12 2011
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: natty
DistroVariant: ubuntu
GraphicsCard:
 nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] [10de:01d8] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:30bb]
LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta 1 amd64 (20110329.1)
MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6000 (GB194EA#ABZ)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=it_IT:en
 LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/hostname.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- maybe-ubiquity
Renderer: Software
SourcePackage: xorg
Symptom: display
Title: Xorg freeze
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 02/02/2007
dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
dmi.bios.version: F.16
dmi.board.name: 30BC
dmi.board.vendor: Quanta
dmi.board.version: 66.37
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Quanta
dmi.chassis.version: N/A
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvrF.16:bd02/02/2007:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPPaviliondv6000(GB194EA#ABZ):pvrRev1:rvnQuanta:rn30BC:rvr66.37:cvnQuanta:ct10:cvrN/A:
dmi.product.name: HP Pavilion dv6000 (GB194EA#ABZ)
dmi.product.version: Rev 1
dmi.sys.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.4git20110322-0ubuntu5
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.23-1ubuntu5
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.1-0ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg 1:7.6~3ubuntu11
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.14.0-0ubuntu4
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4ubuntu4
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20110107+b795ca6e-0ubuntu6

Marco Buono (new.life) wrote :
tags: added: iso-testing
Timo Aaltonen (tjaalton) on 2011-03-31
affects: xorg (Ubuntu) → xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Hi newlife, could you take a photo of the screen when it is frozen and corrupted? Sometimes the patterns give developers clues as to the memory layout in the driver.

Also, can you provide the output of this command?

  apt-cache policy ia32-libs

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Download full text (4.0 KiB)

hi Bryce,
about the frozen screen i think it is not possible to take a
screenshot 'cause I wasn't able to do anything.
I tried to do something but the only way to reset the system was to do
an hard reset using the power button.
Instead about the command u wrote to me i'll provide u the output asap.
Bye

2011/4/2 Bryce Harrington <email address hidden>:
> Hi newlife, could you take a photo of the screen when it is frozen and
> corrupted?  Sometimes the patterns give developers clues as to the
> memory layout in the driver.
>
> Also, can you provide the output of this command?
>
>  apt-cache policy ia32-libs
>
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)
>       Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/745894
>
> Title:
>  Xorg freeze
>
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu:
>  Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
>  Binary package hint: xorg
>
>  during the start up process the screen freezed into a page full of ascii symbols and system  was
>  blocked
>
>  ProblemType: Bug
>  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
>  Package: xorg 1:7.6~3ubuntu11
>  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.39-generic 2.6.38
>  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic x86_64
>  Architecture: amd64
>  CompizPlugins: [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,mousepoll,vpswitch,regex,animation,snap,expo,move,compiztoolbox,place,grid,imgpng,gnomecompat,wall,ezoom,workarounds,staticswitcher,resize,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,scale,session,unityshell]
>  CompositorRunning: None
>  DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
>   status: disconnected
>   enabled: disabled
>   dpms: Off
>   modes:
>   edid-base64:
>  DRM.card0.LVDS.1:
>   status: connected
>   enabled: enabled
>   dpms: On
>   modes: 1280x800 1024x768 800x600 640x480 720x400 640x400 640x350
>   edid-base64: AP///////wBEkycAAAAAAAAPAQOAIRV4Ck3Ak1xRiCchUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB6hoAgFAgEDAVIEQAS88QAAAYAAAADwAIACoAAQAEADJKBBQCAAAA/gBRVUFOVEFESVNQTEFZAAAA/gBRRDE1VEwwMjQKICAgAKo=
>  DRM.card0.VGA.1:
>   status: disconnected
>   enabled: disabled
>   dpms: Off
>   modes:
>   edid-base64:
>  Date: Wed Mar 30 16:53:12 2011
>  DistUpgraded: Fresh install
>  DistroCodename: natty
>  DistroVariant: ubuntu
>  GraphicsCard:
>   nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] [10de:01d8] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>     Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:30bb]
>  LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta 1 amd64 (20110329.1)
>  MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6000 (GB194EA#ABZ)
>  ProcEnviron:
>   LANGUAGE=it_IT:en
>   LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
>   SHELL=/bin/bash
>  ProcKernelCmdLine: noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/hostname.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- maybe-ubiquity
>  Renderer: Software
>  SourcePackage: xorg
>  Symptom: display
>  Title: Xorg freeze
>  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>  dmi.bios.date: 02/02/2007
>  dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>  dmi.bios.version: F.16
>  dmi.board.name: 30BC
>  dmi.board.vendor: Quanta
>  dmi.board.version: 66.37
>  dmi.chassis.type: 10
>  dmi.chassis.ven...

Read more...

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Yeah a screenshot wouldn't do any good, but you can take a photo using a cell phone or digital camera if you have one.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
status: New → Incomplete
Marco Buono (new.life) wrote :
Download full text (3.6 KiB)

sure.... it's what I'm going to do :D
asap
Bye

2011/4/2 Bryce Harrington <email address hidden>:
> Yeah a screenshot wouldn't do any good, but you can take a photo using a
> cell phone or digital camera if you have one.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/745894
>
> Title:
>  Xorg freeze
>
> Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu:
>  Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
>  Binary package hint: xorg
>
>  during the start up process the screen freezed into a page full of ascii symbols and system  was
>  blocked
>
>  ProblemType: Bug
>  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
>  Package: xorg 1:7.6~3ubuntu11
>  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.39-generic 2.6.38
>  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic x86_64
>  Architecture: amd64
>  CompizPlugins: [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,mousepoll,vpswitch,regex,animation,snap,expo,move,compiztoolbox,place,grid,imgpng,gnomecompat,wall,ezoom,workarounds,staticswitcher,resize,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,scale,session,unityshell]
>  CompositorRunning: None
>  DRM.card0.DVI.D.1:
>   status: disconnected
>   enabled: disabled
>   dpms: Off
>   modes:
>   edid-base64:
>  DRM.card0.LVDS.1:
>   status: connected
>   enabled: enabled
>   dpms: On
>   modes: 1280x800 1024x768 800x600 640x480 720x400 640x400 640x350
>   edid-base64: AP///////wBEkycAAAAAAAAPAQOAIRV4Ck3Ak1xRiCchUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB6hoAgFAgEDAVIEQAS88QAAAYAAAADwAIACoAAQAEADJKBBQCAAAA/gBRVUFOVEFESVNQTEFZAAAA/gBRRDE1VEwwMjQKICAgAKo=
>  DRM.card0.VGA.1:
>   status: disconnected
>   enabled: disabled
>   dpms: Off
>   modes:
>   edid-base64:
>  Date: Wed Mar 30 16:53:12 2011
>  DistUpgraded: Fresh install
>  DistroCodename: natty
>  DistroVariant: ubuntu
>  GraphicsCard:
>   nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] [10de:01d8] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>     Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:30bb]
>  LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta 1 amd64 (20110329.1)
>  MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6000 (GB194EA#ABZ)
>  ProcEnviron:
>   LANGUAGE=it_IT:en
>   LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
>   SHELL=/bin/bash
>  ProcKernelCmdLine: noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/hostname.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- maybe-ubiquity
>  Renderer: Software
>  SourcePackage: xorg
>  Symptom: display
>  Title: Xorg freeze
>  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>  dmi.bios.date: 02/02/2007
>  dmi.bios.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>  dmi.bios.version: F.16
>  dmi.board.name: 30BC
>  dmi.board.vendor: Quanta
>  dmi.board.version: 66.37
>  dmi.chassis.type: 10
>  dmi.chassis.vendor: Quanta
>  dmi.chassis.version: N/A
>  dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvrF.16:bd02/02/2007:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPPaviliondv6000(GB194EA#ABZ):pvrRev1:rvnQuanta:rn30BC:rvr66.37:cvnQuanta:ct10:cvrN/A:
>  dmi.product.name: HP Pavilion dv6000 (GB194EA#ABZ)
>  dmi.product.version: Rev 1
>  dmi.sys.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>  version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.4git20110322-0ubuntu5
>  version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.23-1ubuntu5
>  version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.1-0ubuntu...

Read more...

Marco Buono (new.life) wrote :

Sorry for delay due to family problems.
I'm not able to find the daily build about this bug anymore.
Anyway i Iested the newest daily build and the freeze problem don't persist anymore.
I think this bug can be flagged as resolved.

Bye

Marco Buono (new.life) on 2011-04-13
Changed in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Marco Buono (new.life) wrote :

the bug has been fixed from the daily build 20110412

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers