scrolling stops working after suspend-resume

Bug #801566 reported by avdd
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Nathan Boyd

Bug Description

used gpointing-device-settings to enable thinkpad trackpoint scrolling, but it sometimes stops working after suspend-resume, and stays unworking until restarting x server

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: gpointing-device-settings 1.3.2-2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-32.62-generic-pae 2.6.32.38+drm33.16
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-32-generic-pae i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Jun 24 23:29:30 2011
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20110211.1)
ProcEnviron:
 LC_COLLATE=C
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_AU.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gpointing-device-settings
---
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
DkmsStatus: vboxhost, 4.0.10, 2.6.32-32-generic-pae, i686: installed
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20110211.1)
MachineType: LENOVO 767347M
Package: xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1
PackageArchitecture: i386
PccardctlIdent:
 Socket 0:
   no product info available
PccardctlStatus:
 Socket 0:
   no card
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-32-generic-pae root=UUID=10fa2148-3e05-43ca-83b8-8dbdbdc78990 ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
 LC_COLLATE=C
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_AU.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-32.62-generic-pae 2.6.32.38+drm33.16
Tags: lucid lucid
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-32-generic-pae i686
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare vboxusers
dmi.bios.date: 04/18/2008
dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.bios.version: 7NETB2WW (2.12 )
dmi.board.name: 767347M
dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.board.version: Not Available
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr7NETB2WW(2.12):bd04/18/2008:svnLENOVO:pn767347M:pvrThinkPadX61:rvnLENOVO:rn767347M:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
dmi.product.name: 767347M
dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X61
dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO
glxinfo: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
system:
 distro: Ubuntu
 codename: lucid
 architecture: i686
 kernel: 2.6.32-32-generic-pae

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Fabio Marconi (fabiomarconi) wrote :

Hello
Can you please reproduce the bug then attach here, using the button below 'Add attachment or patch' the files:
/var/log/kern.log
/var/log/kern.log.1
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
Thanks
FAbio

affects: ubuntu → hello (Ubuntu)
affects: hello (Ubuntu) → ubuntu
Changed in ubuntu:
status: New → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Nathan Boyd (robert-n-boyd) wrote : Re: [Bug 801566] Re: scrolling stops working after suspend-resume

no problem. downloading lucid .iso now

On , Fabio Marconi <email address hidden> wrote:
> Hello

> Can you please reproduce the bug then attach here, using the button
> below 'Add attachment or patch' the files:

> /var/log/kern.log

> /var/log/kern.log.1

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

> Thanks

> FAbio

> ** Changed in: ubuntu

> Status: New => Incomplete

> --

> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to hello

> in Ubuntu.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/801566

> Title:

> scrolling stops working after suspend-resume

> Status in Ubuntu:

> Incomplete

> Bug description:

> used gpointing-device-settings to enable thinkpad trackpoint

> scrolling, but it sometimes stops working after suspend-resume, and

> stays unworking until restarting x server

> ProblemType: Bug

> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04

> Package: gpointing-device-settings 1.3.2-2

> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-32.62-generic-pae 2.6.32.38+drm33.16

> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-32-generic-pae i686

> Architecture: i386

> Date: Fri Jun 24 23:29:30 2011

> EcryptfsInUse: Yes

> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386
> (20110211.1)

> ProcEnviron:

> LC_COLLATE=C

> PATH=(custom, user)

> LANG=en_AU.utf8

> SHELL=/bin/bash

> SourcePackage: gpointing-device-settings

> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/801566/+subscriptions

Revision history for this message
Nathan Boyd (robert-n-boyd) wrote :

Created a virtual machine with similar hardware, Lucid, trackpad but and
gpointing package. Was unable to produce an error after standby, restart,
suspend etc . . .

On , Fabio Marconi <email address hidden> wrote:
> Hello

> Can you please reproduce the bug then attach here, using the button
> below 'Add attachment or patch' the files:

> /var/log/kern.log

> /var/log/kern.log.1

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

> Thanks

> FAbio

> ** Changed in: ubuntu

> Status: New => Incomplete

> --

> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to hello

> in Ubuntu.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/801566

> Title:

> scrolling stops working after suspend-resume

> Status in Ubuntu:

> Incomplete

> Bug description:

> used gpointing-device-settings to enable thinkpad trackpoint

> scrolling, but it sometimes stops working after suspend-resume, and

> stays unworking until restarting x server

> ProblemType: Bug

> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04

> Package: gpointing-device-settings 1.3.2-2

> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-32.62-generic-pae 2.6.32.38+drm33.16

> Uname: Linux 2.6.32-32-generic-pae i686

> Architecture: i386

> Date: Fri Jun 24 23:29:30 2011

> EcryptfsInUse: Yes

> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386
> (20110211.1)

> ProcEnviron:

> LC_COLLATE=C

> PATH=(custom, user)

> LANG=en_AU.utf8

> SHELL=/bin/bash

> SourcePackage: gpointing-device-settings

> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/801566/+subscriptions

Changed in ubuntu:
assignee: nobody → Nathan Boyd (robert-n-boyd)
Revision history for this message
Nathan Boyd (robert-n-boyd) wrote :

Created Lucid virtual machine, added track pad, and simulated environment. Was unable to reproduce bug.

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote :

*trackpoint*, the red IBM nipple

when happens again I'll attach the logs

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote :

Quoth Fabio Marconi (2011-06-26 16:48):
> Hello
> Can you please reproduce the bug then attach here, using the button below 'Add attachment or patch' the files:
> /var/log/kern.log
> /var/log/kern.log.1
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
> Thanks
> FAbio
>
> ** Changed in: ubuntu
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/801566
>
> Title:
> scrolling stops working after suspend-resume
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/801566/+subscriptions

Revision history for this message
Fabio Marconi (fabiomarconi) wrote :

From Xorg.log:
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev" <------
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(EE) Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600: failed to initialize for relative axes. <-----
(WW) Device 'Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600' has 37 axes, only using first 36. <-----

From kern.log.1
Jun 21 17:48:30 one kernel: [ 59.561512] input: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.1/usb4/4-1/4-1.1/4-1.1:1.0/input/input9
Jun 21 17:48:30 one kernel: [ 59.561594] generic-usb 0003:045E:0750.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600] on usb-0000:00:1a.1-1.1/input0
Jun 21 17:48:30 one kernel: [ 59.590225] usb 4-1.2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
Jun 21 17:48:30 one kernel: [ 59.591375] input: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.1/usb4/4-1/4-1.1/4-1.1:1.1/input/input10
Jun 21 17:48:30 one kernel: [ 59.591449] generic-usb 0003:045E:0750.0002: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Device [Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600] on usb-0000:00:1a.1-1.1/input1

Hello avdd
can you please reproduce the bug and run in a terminal
apport-collect -p xorg 801566
Thanks
Fabio

Revision history for this message
Fabio Marconi (fabiomarconi) wrote :

Actually i cannot see any related error on xorg or kernel log, assigned to xorg.

affects: ubuntu → xorg (Ubuntu)
bugbot (bugbot)
affects: xorg (Ubuntu) → xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)
Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : BootDmesg.txt

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected
description: updated
Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : CurrentDmesg.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : Dependencies.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : GdmLog.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : GdmLog1.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : GdmLog2.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : Lspci.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : Lsusb.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : PciDisplay.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : ProcCpuinfo.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : ProcInterrupts.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : ProcModules.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : RelatedPackageVersions.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : UdevDb.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : UdevLog.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : XorgLog.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : XorgLogOld.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : Xrandr.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : monitors.xml.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : setxkbmap.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : xdpyinfo.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote : xkbcomp.txt

apport information

Revision history for this message
avdd (avdd) wrote :

Please excuse the meta-comment, but this sort of regression is the #1 most frustrating problem with ubuntu (/linux/open-source). Something works in one release, possibly after some effort, and then breaks in the next. Doubly or triply frustrating when the release is a LTS. It's for this reason I actually fear upgrading.

Ubuntu is truly fantastic, I choose it over any other environment, but the desktop stability is a major problem.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
bugbot (bugbot)
tags: added: resume
Revision history for this message
Chris Wilson (ickle) wrote :

Input driver bug, not gfx.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers