Mouse Scroll Wheel not working in spice vm guests

Bug #1301722 reported by Harry Coin on 2014-04-03
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xorg (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

I'm running Precise in various qemu-kvm virtual machines with Spice. The ScrollWheel stops working in the virtual machine as soon the spice-vdagent gets started.   After killing the spice-vdagent process the Scroll Wheel works again.
Seems to be an evdev Bug, see solved Fedora Bug:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?format=multiple&id=805902

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.10
Package: xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu6
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-18.32-generic 3.11.10.4
Uname: Linux 3.11.0-18-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
Architecture: amd64
CompizPlugins: No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
CompositorRunning: None
Date: Wed Apr 2 22:55:21 2014
DistUpgraded: 2013-10-21 18:32:59,232 DEBUG enabling apt cron job
DistroCodename: saucy
DistroVariant: ubuntu
ExtraDebuggingInterest: Yes, if not too technical
GraphicsCard:
 Red Hat, Inc. Device [1b36:0100] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc Device [1af4:1100]
InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-05-26 (311 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130423.1)
LightdmGreeterLog:
 ** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:25761): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory '/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions': No such file or directory

 ** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:25761): WARNING **: Failed to load user image: Failed to open file '/home/harry/.face': No such file or directory
Lsusb: Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
MachineType: Bochs Bochs
MarkForUpload: True
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_US
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-18-generic root=UUID=adda9701-5de5-45dd-9068-ce97f8259354 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
SourcePackage: xorg
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-10-21 (163 days ago)
dmi.bios.date: 01/01/2011
dmi.bios.vendor: Bochs
dmi.bios.version: Bochs
dmi.chassis.type: 1
dmi.chassis.vendor: Bochs
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnBochs:bvrBochs:bd01/01/2011:svnBochs:pnBochs:pvr:cvnBochs:ct1:cvr:
dmi.product.name: Bochs
dmi.sys.vendor: Bochs
version.compiz: compiz N/A
version.ia32-libs: ia32-libs N/A
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.46-1ubuntu1
version.libgl1-mesa-dri: libgl1-mesa-dri 9.2.1-1ubuntu3
version.libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental: libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental N/A
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 9.2.1-1ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg-core: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.14.5-1ubuntu2~saucy1
version.xserver-xorg-input-evdev: xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.7.3-0ubuntu3.1
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:7.2.0-0ubuntu10
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.904-0ubuntu2.1
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.9-2ubuntu1
xserver.bootTime: Fri Mar 28 12:35:38 2014
xserver.configfile: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
xserver.devices:
 input Power Button KEYBOARD, id 6
 input AT Translated Set 2 keyboard KEYBOARD, id 7
 input ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse MOUSE, id 8
 input spice vdagent tablet TOUCHSCREEN, id 9
xserver.errors:
 Failed to load module "evdec" (module does not exist, 0)
 Failed to load module "evdec" (module does not exist, 0)
 No input driver matching `evdec'
xserver.logfile: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
xserver.outputs:
 product id 0
 vendor QXL
xserver.version: 2:1.14.5-1ubuntu2~saucy1

Harry Coin (hcoin) wrote :

Harry Coin, could you please test for this with the latest development release of Ubuntu? ISO images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ .

If it remains an issue, could you please just make a comment to this.

Thank you for your understanding.

Helpful bug reporting tips:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs

description: updated
Changed in xorg (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Incomplete
Download full text (6.2 KiB)

As I use xubuntu, (standard ubuntu is way too 'heavy' for our purpose)
is there a version from that world you can suggest? Whatever the
regular ubuntu results it won't help me.

On 04/03/2014 08:50 PM, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> Harry Coin, could you please test for this with the latest development
> release of Ubuntu? ISO images are available from
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ .
>
> If it remains an issue, could you please just make a comment to this.
>
> Thank you for your understanding.
>
> Helpful bug reporting tips:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs
>
> ** Description changed:
>
> -
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1039523
> -
> -
> - Im runnning Precise in various qemu-kvm virtual machines with Spice.
> -
> - The ScrollWheel stops working in the virtual machine as soon the spice-vdagent gets started.
> - After killing the spice-vdagent process the Scroll Wheel works again.
> - Seems to be an evdev Bug, see solved Fedora Bug:
> -
> - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?format=multiple&id=805902
> - Michal Suchanek / Harry Coin, thank you for your comment. So your hardware and problem may be tracked, could you please file a new report by executing the following in a terminal:
> - ubuntu-bug xorg
> + I'm running Precise in various qemu-kvm virtual machines with Spice. The ScrollWheel stops working in the virtual machine as soon the spice-vdagent gets started. After killing the spice-vdagent process the Scroll Wheel works again.
> + Seems to be an evdev Bug, see solved Fedora Bug:
> + https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?format=multiple&id=805902
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.10
> Package: xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu6
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-18.32-generic 3.11.10.4
> Uname: Linux 3.11.0-18-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
> Architecture: amd64
> CompizPlugins: No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
> CompositorRunning: None
> Date: Wed Apr 2 22:55:21 2014
> DistUpgraded: 2013-10-21 18:32:59,232 DEBUG enabling apt cron job
> DistroCodename: saucy
> DistroVariant: ubuntu
> ExtraDebuggingInterest: Yes, if not too technical
> GraphicsCard:
> - Red Hat, Inc. Device [1b36:0100] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> - Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc Device [1af4:1100]
> + Red Hat, Inc. Device [1b36:0100] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> + Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc Device [1af4:1100]
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-05-26 (311 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130423.1)
> LightdmGreeterLog:
> - ** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:25761): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory '/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions': No such file or directory
> -
> - ** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:25761): WARNING **: Failed to load user image: Failed to open file '/home/harry/.face': No such file or directory
> + ** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:25761): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory '/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions': No such file or directory
> +
> + ** (lightdm-gtk-gr...

Read more...

Harry Coin, please see http://releases.ubuntu.com/ .

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.