Odd behavior with H193Wk display at 1440x900.

Bug #184715 reported by Sean on 2008-01-21
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
xorg-server (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

My H193Wk 19" display (does not use DVI) doesn't seem to work well at its native resolution of 1440x900. Every other resolution fills the screen just fine.

Its pretty easy to reproduce as long as you have the same display. The default settings as well as the modeline solution I found elsewhere on the forum produced the same results, and yes it was a clean install. Currently 7.10 is installed, with the latest updates. Oddly enough on my current system, the nvidia proprietary drivers fix this problem. Can't do that with the radeon machine :(

I have posted the xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log, lspci -vv and lspci -vvn results on the forum already, as well as taken a photo of the problem. I don't see way to attach text or photos here as I'm pretty new to all this, so I'll just link to it all: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=672801, and its probably easier to read there. I'll repost the info here once I figure out how, haha.

Sean (graywind) wrote :
Sean (graywind) wrote :
Sean (graywind) wrote :
Sean (graywind) wrote :
Sean (graywind) wrote :
Sean (graywind) wrote :

Looks like this will be fixed "upstream" (is that the right usage of the word?)
I just happen to have a quirky monitor.
Heres the working xorg.conf

For more details just check my forum post or the freedesktop.org bug report at:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14166

Sean (graywind) wrote :

Changing the status again since this looks like it was fixed upstream already? Not sure though. Here is the response I got from the freedesktop bug report.

Comment #3 From Alex Deucher 2008-01-21 06:37:06 PST
(II) RADEON(0): #1: hsize: 1440 vsize 900 refresh: 60 vid: 149
(II) RADEON(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
(II) RADEON(0): clock: 106.5 MHz Image Size: 408 x 255 mm
(II) RADEON(0): h_active: 1440 h_sync: 1520 h_sync_end 1672 h_blank_end 1904
h_border: 0
(II) RADEON(0): v_active: 900 v_sync: 903 v_sync_end 909 v_blanking: 934
v_border: 0

(II) RADEON(0): Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909
934 -hsync +vsync
(II) RADEON(0): Modeline "1440x900" 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909
934 +hsync -vsync

This is the reversed polarity bug in the edid parser in the ubuntu xserver 1.3.
 I thought ubuntu had patched this, but perhaps not. Make sure you have the
latest xserver bits from ubuntu.

----------------

I followed these instructions and just reproduced the bug by commenting out the preferredmode after making sure everything was up to date. Not sure what to do now though.

Timo Aaltonen (tjaalton) wrote :

Please try 8.04 beta livecd if you can reproduce the issue.

Changed in xorg:
status: New → Incomplete
Timo Aaltonen (tjaalton) wrote :

Fixed at least in intrepid.

Changed in xorg:
status: Incomplete → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.