This bug was fixed in the package upstart - 0.6.3-8
upstart (0.6.3-8) karmic; urgency=low
* Rather than calling "telinit u" after upgrade, which will lose state,
have the umountroot initscript take care of it for us by setting a
flag. LP: #441796.
* Don't lose the original default runlevel if /etc/inittab exists without
an initdefault line. LP: #405847.
* Fix "unhandled error" in shutdown when unable to change runlevel,
e.g. due to previous Ubiquity bug. LP: #426332.
* Merge change from trunk that makes it possible to build Upstart using
a previously built copy of nih-dbus-tool, especially useful when
cross-compiling. LP: #426740.
* Merge change from libnih to store our assertion messages in the
glibc __abort_msg symbol so apport can pick them up. LP: #429411.
* Merge change from libnih to fix compilation issue with eglibc due
to changed alphasort() prototype.
-- Scott James Remnant <email address hidden> Wed, 14 Oct 2009 05:34:13 +0100