Ubuntu

reproducible stacking bug in compiz

Reported by Rick Spencer on 2011-10-06
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Compiz
High
Sam Spilsbury
Unity
High
Sam Spilsbury
compiz (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Oneiric
Undecided
Unassigned
unity (Ubuntu)
High
Sam Spilsbury
Oneiric
High
Sam Spilsbury

Bug Description

steps:
1. open an impress presentation
2. open Desktop Recorder
3. put impress into presentation mode
4. alt-tab to Desktop Recorder and start recording
5. view the presentation
6. use the keyboard to switch to another workspace
7. use the Desktop Recorder indicator to stop recording
8. cancel the encoding of the video
9. use the keyboard to switch back to the first workspace
10. use escape to dismiss the presentation

Result:
Launcher, alt-tab, and dash all now appear under apps
Restarting unity fixes it

TESTCASE:

That should not happen ^

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
Package: unity 4.22.0-0ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-12.19-generic 3.0.4
Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic x86_64
.tmp.unity.support.test.0:

ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu2
Architecture: amd64
CompizPlugins: [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,grid,regex,compiztoolbox,vpswitch,animation,place,resize,session,imgpng,mousepoll,move,snap,gnomecompat,unitymtgrabhandles,wall,workarounds,fade,expo,ezoom,scale,unityshell]
CompositorRunning: compiz
Date: Thu Oct 6 18:14:42 2011
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: oneiric
DistroVariant: ubuntu
GraphicsCard:
 Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:15f2]
 nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] [10de:0df4] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:15f2]
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta amd64 (20110919)
MachineType: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K53SV
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=68acdf0d-02e3-4c78-9bd6-ea98eef41652 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
SourcePackage: unity
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 06/17/2011
dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
dmi.bios.version: K53SV.302
dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
dmi.board.name: K53SV
dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
dmi.board.version: 1.0
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
dmi.chassis.type: 9
dmi.chassis.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrK53SV.302:bd06/17/2011:svnASUSTeKComputerInc.:pnK53SV:pvr1.0:rvnASUSTeKComputerInc.:rnK53SV:rvr1.0:cvnASUSTeKComputerInc.:ct9:cvr1.0:
dmi.product.name: K53SV
dmi.product.version: 1.0
dmi.sys.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
version.compiz: compiz 1:0.9.6+bzr20110929-0ubuntu3
version.ia32-libs: ia32-libs 20090808ubuntu25
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.26-1ubuntu1
version.libgl1-mesa-dri: libgl1-mesa-dri 7.11-0ubuntu3
version.libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental: libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental N/A
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.11-0ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg 1:7.6+7ubuntu7
version.xserver-xorg-input-evdev: xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.6.0-1ubuntu13
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.14.99~git20110811.g93fc084-0ubuntu1
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.15.901-1ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20110411+8378443-1

Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-10-06
Changed in unity:
status: New → Triaged
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged
Changed in unity:
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in unity:
assignee: nobody → Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz)
milestone: none → 4.24.0
description: updated
Changed in unity:
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
Changed in compiz:
status: New → Fix Committed
assignee: nobody → Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz)
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz)
Changed in compiz:
importance: Undecided → High
David Barth (dbarth) wrote :

I can't reproduce the issue with the patch applied, and made available in http://launchpad.net/~unity-team/+archive/compiz-testing. I did not reproduce the issue with a previous version, so I would like some feedback from people who did reproduce the issue with the previous version. Thanks

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-10-10
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Invalid
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Download full text (4.2 KiB)

For the record, I was able to reproduce this and fixed it accordingly
On Oct 8, 2011 2:57 AM, "David Barth" <email address hidden> wrote:

> I can't reproduce the issue with the patch applied, and made available
> in http://launchpad.net/~unity-team/+archive/compiz-testing. I did not
> reproduce the issue with a previous version, so I would like some
> feedback from people who did reproduce the issue with the previous
> version. Thanks
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a bug assignee.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/869316
>
> Title:
> reproducible stacking bug in compiz
>
> Status in Compiz:
> Fix Committed
> Status in Unity:
> Fix Committed
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> steps:
> 1. open an impress presentation
> 2. open Desktop Recorder
> 3. put impress into presentation mode
> 4. alt-tab to Desktop Recorder and start recording
> 5. view the presentation
> 6. use the keyboard to switch to another workspace
> 7. use the Desktop Recorder indicator to stop recording
> 8. cancel the encoding of the video
> 9. use the keyboard to switch back to the first workspace
> 10. use escape to dismiss the presentation
>
> Result:
> Launcher, alt-tab, and dash all now appear under apps
> Restarting unity fixes it
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
> Package: unity 4.22.0-0ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-12.19-generic 3.0.4
> Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic x86_64
> .tmp.unity.support.test.0:
>
> ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu2
> Architecture: amd64
> CompizPlugins:
> [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,grid,regex,compiztoolbox,vpswitch,animation,place,resize,session,imgpng,mousepoll,move,snap,gnomecompat,unitymtgrabhandles,wall,workarounds,fade,expo,ezoom,scale,unityshell]
> CompositorRunning: compiz
> Date: Thu Oct 6 18:14:42 2011
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: oneiric
> DistroVariant: ubuntu
> GraphicsCard:
> Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated
> Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:15f2]
> nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] [10de:0df4] (rev a1) (prog-if
> 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:15f2]
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta amd64 (20110919)
> MachineType: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K53SV
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic
> root=UUID=68acdf0d-02e3-4c78-9bd6-ea98eef41652 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> SourcePackage: unity
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 06/17/2011
> dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
> dmi.bios.version: K53SV.302
> dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
> dmi.board.name: K53SV
> dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
> dmi.board.version: 1.0
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
> dmi.chassis.type: 9
> dmi.chassis.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
> dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnAmeri...

Read more...

Hello Rick, or anyone else affected,

Accepted compiz into oneiric-proposed, the package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

tags: added: verification-needed
description: updated
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-10-14
Changed in compiz:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in unity:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package compiz - 1:0.9.6+bzr20110929-0ubuntu5

---------------
compiz (1:0.9.6+bzr20110929-0ubuntu5) oneiric-proposed; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/fix-864330.patch:
    - fix windows which can have towed moving (LP: #864330)
  * debian/patches/fix-864478.patch:
    - Window shading is broken (LP: #864478)

compiz (1:0.9.6+bzr20110929-0ubuntu4) oneiric-proposed; urgency=low

  * debian/control:
    - don't suggest nvidia-glx, it's part of the old initial packaging
      and probably a bad hint on non nvidia system (LP: #844218)
  * Cherry-pick upstream patches:
    - Windows should not automatically be focused when opened if the focus
      is on another application (LP: #748840)
    - Launcher - If a spread contains minimised windows, when the spread
      exits, the minimised windows momentarily appear on the desktop
      before disappearing (LP: #863328)
    - reproducible stacking bug in compiz (LP: #869316)
    - Click-dragging a window that's stacked above a fullscreen window will
      cause it to go underneath the fullscreen window (LP: #869919)
    - sometimes the keyboard input doesn't go to the apparently focussed
      dialog (LP: #869967)
    - Opening mumble can cause it to be stacked above the dash if you
      open the dash at the same time (LP: #865863)
    - Sometimes configure events are missed and windows move slow as a result
      (LP: #866752)
    - Workaround ubuntu desktop unity. Mouse at the left side doesn't reveal
      launcher (LP: #832150)
 -- Didier Roche <email address hidden> Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:44:49 +0200

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu Oneiric):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.