High load when running VirtualBox
When running VirtualBox, the system load suddenly raises without stopping. When I kill compiz (which includes Unity), the load goes down again. If I don't kill it quick enough, the system locks up completely and I need to power off the machine.
I was searching very long for a solution because I thought it's a VirtualBox problem. I'm using the Oracle 4.2.12 package provided on http://
Before I had this problem, I was using Ubuntu 12.10 without any issues. When 13.04 came out, I decided to make a fresh installation and have this problem since then.
Description of the problem:
- I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 on an Asus Zenbook UX31A with 4 GB memory and 128 GB SSD.
- Before I start VirtualBox, I have already opened several programs: Chromium, Firefox, Skype are the biggest in terms of memory usage (I think the problem occured less often when VirtualBox was running alone, so maybe it's related to memory usage)
- When I start VirtualBox, the problem occurs sometimes during boot, but sometimes only after a a few minutes of uptime. Most of the time, it happened when the machine was idle and I was working in a different window.
1) I can use Unity only when I run a background job which checks for the load and kills / replaces compiz & unity if the system load is too high.
2) I decided to install ubuntu-