ubuntuone overwrites a newer version of a file or creates a conflict version

Bug #575548 reported by Marius on 2010-05-05
22
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ubuntuone-client (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: ubuntuone-client

I am using Lucid with all the updates (as of May 4). Ubuntuone client version is 1.2.1-0ubuntu1.

I have been editing (using Emacs) a tex file. I do need to save it often and compile it often. At some point I took a few minutes break, leaving the file opened. When I returned, Emacs posted a message that another application changed the file on the disk and asked me if I wanted to upload that version instead of mine. Luckily I double checked and I realized that ubuntuone replaced my current version with a 10 minute old version. Apparently it has been a gap between me saving the file and u1 synchronizing it on the servers and on the server the old version of the file appeared newer that the current version. I saved over my current changes and after that u1 refused to upload the new version of the file. It created a conflict file and the server contains only the old version. It did not upload the latest version of the file and
 u1sdtool --waiting-c
reports that there is nothing on queue.

The result of
u1sdtool --status
is
State: QUEUE_MANAGER
    connection: With User With Network
    description: processing queues
    is_connected: True
    is_error: False
    is_online: True
    queues: IDLE

I tried this (write, save, and compile the tex file, wait a couple of minutes, make a few more changes, save and compile, and wait a few more minutes) with a couple of file and I always got a similar outcome. At one point u1 erased a file leaving only the conflict version (fortunately it was the right version).

Ben Klein (kleinb1) wrote :

I had a very similar problem, except that I was using Eclipse rather than emacs. Perhaps a solution might be as follows: Rather than download the file from the server every time, compare the time stamps and synchronize on the more recent file.

Philippe (philippe-rast) wrote :

The same happened to me just minutes ago.
When I left the office, u1 synced to the server. Now I started my notebook and apparently all the new latex files from a days work on the u1 server have been overwritten with the two days old files from the notebook. No .conflict ending or anything. I just found out because I was missing lots of text I had written today. Other files, such as .pdf and .rtf files are not affected - they were correctly downloaded to my notebook. Only latex files and the whole kile project file is overwritten. Luckily they are still on my computer in the office.

I have seen other bug reports regarding problems with latex files which lead to 100% CPU load because u1 continuously hashes. Dont remember the Bug # though.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers