do-release-upgrade -d crash when trying to upgrade to saucy

Bug #1186936 reported by Nicolas Devillers on 2013-06-03
30
This bug affects 6 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

while trying to upgrade to saucy from raring, do-release-upgrade is crashing with the following stack-trace:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/saucy", line 10, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeMain.py", line 240, in main
    if app.run():
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1781, in run
    return self.fullUpgrade()
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1676, in fullUpgrade
    if not self.updateSourcesList():
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeController.py", line 750, in updateSourcesList
    if not self.rewriteSourcesList(mirror_check=True):
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeController.py", line 726, in rewriteSourcesList
    logging.debug("entry '%s' was disabled (unknown mirror)" % get_string_with_no_auth_from_source_entry(entry))
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/utils.py", line 89, in get_string_with_no_auth_from_source_entry
    return str(tmp)
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/sourceslist.py", line 215, in __str__
    return self.str().strip()
  File "/tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-jpqsq1/DistUpgrade/sourceslist.py", line 233, in str
    line += " #"+self.comment
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 4: ordinal not in range(128)

My python env is the following:
/usr/bin/env python
Python 2.7.4 (default, Apr 19 2013, 18:28:01)
---
ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
Architecture: amd64
CrashDB: ubuntu
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
EcryptfsInUse: Yes
InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-04-08 (55 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64 (20121017.5)
MarkForUpload: True
Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader (not installed)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
Tags: raring dist-upgrade
Uname: Linux 3.9.0-030900rc8-generic x86_64
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to raring on 2013-06-03 (0 days ago)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
VarLogDistupgradeAptlog:
 Log time: 2013-06-03 10:13:39.019360
 Log time: 2013-06-03 10:13:43.919537

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected dist-upgrade raring
description: updated
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Mitsutoshi NAKANO (bkbin005) wrote :

I performed update-manager on 2013-July-06 .

Mitsutoshi NAKANO (bkbin005) wrote :

I performed update-manager on 2013-July-06 .
The update-manager said "Software Updater
Not all updates can be installed

Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible.

This can be cased by:
* A previous upgrade which didn't complete
* Problems with some of the installed software
* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
* Normal changes of a pre-releaes version of Ubuntu"

So I selected "Partial Upgrade" .

Then update-manager said "
Could not calculate the upgrade

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
The package 'ubuntu-desktop' is marked for removal but it is in the removal blacklist.

This can be caused by:
* Upgrading to a pre-releae version of Ubuntu
* Running the current pre-relase version of Ubuntu
* Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

This is most likely a transient problem, please try again later ."

Then I selected "Close" .
Then do-release-upgrade crashed and https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1194870 opened but I coulud not see this report .
Then searched launchpad with "saucy do-release-upgrade update-manager" .
And I found this report .

Guillaume Gay (gay) wrote :

I also ran into it.

As the backtrace suggests, this comes from the package manager finding third party sources in sources.list:

This line fails:
  logging.debug("entry '%s' was disabled (unknown mirror)" % get_string_with_no_auth_from_source_entry(entry))

So a work around that fixed it for me is to manually comment out all my sources not directly from ubuntu in the file /etc/apt/sources.list , that is putting a comment caracter (#) in front of each line starting with deb http:// and not pointing to an official ubuntu repository.

I imagine you could achieve the same effect by unselecting those third party repository in the package manager configuration window.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers