Location/TimeZone not selected automatically

Bug #985913 reported by Yogesh Gupta on 2012-04-19
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ubiquity (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

This is an install test of Ubuntu DVD 12.04 amd 64 on a Oracle VBox VM. I'm running 64bit Precise on a 64bit VM.

When the timezone selection opens up after installation begins, my time zone is not automatically selected as it has been in previous version. Its showing some different location.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: ubiquity (not installed)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-23.36-generic 3.2.14
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu5
Architecture: amd64
Date: Fri Apr 20 02:56:43 2012
InstallCmdLine: file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120417)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_IN:en
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_IN
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: ubiquity
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

Yogesh Gupta (yogesh4984) wrote :
Stéphane Graber (stgraber) wrote :

Hi,

Can you post the result of:
wget -O - -q http://geoip.ubuntu.com/lookup

Also, did you ubiquity detect your network connection in the prepare step?

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Yogesh Gupta (yogesh4984) wrote :

Hi

Below is the result:

yogesh@yogesh-VirtualBox:~$ wget -O - -q http://geoip.ubuntu.com/lookup
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Response><Ip>183.83.179.69</Ip><Status>OK</Status><CountryCode>IN</CountryCode><CountryCode3>IND</CountryCode3><CountryName>India</CountryName><RegionCode>02</RegionCode><RegionName>Andhra Pradesh</RegionName><City>Hyderabad</City><ZipPostalCode></ZipPostalCode><Latitude>17.3753</Latitude><Longitude>78.4744</Longitude><AreaCode>0</AreaCode><TimeZone>Asia/Calcutta</TimeZone></Response>

Yes network connection was detected. I was testing it so I disconnected cable then connected again. Connection was established when I was at that Location finder step.

Hi

Below is the result:

yogesh@yogesh-VirtualBox:~$ wget -O - -q http://geoip.ubuntu.com/lookup
<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?><Response><Ip>183.83.179.69</Ip><Status>OK</Status><CountryCode>IN</CountryCode><CountryCode3>IND</CountryCode3><CountryName>India</CountryName><RegionCode>02</RegionCode><RegionName>Andhra
Pradesh</RegionName><City>Hyderabad</City><ZipPostalCode></ZipPostalCode><Latitude>17.3753</Latitude><Longitude>78.4744</Longitude><AreaCode>0</AreaCode><TimeZone>Asia/Calcutta</TimeZone></Response>

Yes network connection was detected. I was testing it so I disconnected
cable then connected again. Connection was established when I was at that
Location finder step.

Thanks!!

--
Yogesh Gupta
Hyderabad, India
+91 7207624465
*"Think GREEN, keep it on the SCREEN"*

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Stéphane Graber <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you post the result of:
> wget -O - -q http://geoip.ubuntu.com/lookup
>
> Also, did you ubiquity detect your network connection in the prepare
> step?
>
> ** Changed in: ubiquity (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/985913
>
> Title:
> Location/TimeZone not selected automatically
>
> Status in “ubiquity” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> This is an install test of Ubuntu DVD 12.04 amd 64 on a Oracle VBox
> VM. I'm running 64bit Precise on a 64bit VM.
>
> When the timezone selection opens up after installation begins, my
> time zone is not automatically selected as it has been in previous
> version. Its showing some different location.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubiquity (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-23.36-generic 3.2.14
> Uname: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu5
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Fri Apr 20 02:56:43 2012
> InstallCmdLine: file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity
> initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64
> (20120417)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_IN:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_IN
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubiquity
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/985913/+subscriptions
>

Stéphane Graber (stgraber) wrote :

I'm not sure I understand your comment completely, sorry.

Are you saying you had network connectivity from the beginning till the end of the install or were you connecting/disconnecting during the install?

The later may explain the installer skipping the geoip code as it only does that if it has network connectivity according to network manager and can access the connection check page and can access the geoip server. If any of these checks weren't done by the time you reached the timezone, geoip is skipped.

Stéphane Graber (stgraber) wrote :

Actually your problem is a DNS problem:
Apr 19 18:07:14 ubuntu ubiquity[3126]: Geoname lookup for "New York" failed: 2 Cannot resolve hostname (geoname-lookup.ubuntu.com)

So as it couldn't resolve geoname-lookup.ubuntu.com at the time you accessed the page, it skipped the geoip code.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Stéphane Graber (stgraber) wrote :

Marking the bug invalid for Ubiquity. If you can reliably reproduce the issue, then it's likely a network problem either caused by your home network or home DNS server or maybe caused by a Network Manager bug.

Yogesh Gupta (yogesh4984) wrote :

At beginning of installation internet connectivity was present. During
install I was connecting and disconnecting. So this may be the issue.
I will try to reproduce the issue and will tell you exact steps.

Thanks!!

--
Yogesh Gupta
Hyderabad, India
+91 7207624465
*"Think GREEN, keep it on the SCREEN"*

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Stéphane Graber <email address hidden>wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your comment completely, sorry.
>
> Are you saying you had network connectivity from the beginning till the
> end of the install or were you connecting/disconnecting during the
> install?
>
> The later may explain the installer skipping the geoip code as it only
> does that if it has network connectivity according to network manager
> and can access the connection check page and can access the geoip
> server. If any of these checks weren't done by the time you reached the
> timezone, geoip is skipped.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/985913
>
> Title:
> Location/TimeZone not selected automatically
>
> Status in “ubiquity” package in Ubuntu:
> Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> This is an install test of Ubuntu DVD 12.04 amd 64 on a Oracle VBox
> VM. I'm running 64bit Precise on a 64bit VM.
>
> When the timezone selection opens up after installation begins, my
> time zone is not automatically selected as it has been in previous
> version. Its showing some different location.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: ubiquity (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-23.36-generic 3.2.14
> Uname: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu5
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Fri Apr 20 02:56:43 2012
> InstallCmdLine: file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity
> initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64
> (20120417)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_IN:en
> TERM=xterm
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_IN
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: ubiquity
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/985913/+subscriptions
>

Yogesh Gupta (yogesh4984) wrote :

Issue is not reproducable if internet connection is always present during installation.

Ubuntu QA Website (ubuntuqa) wrote :

This bug has been reported on the Ubuntu ISO testing tracker.

A list of all reports related to this bug can be found here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/bugs/985913

tags: added: iso-testing
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers