The installer should be more clear when a user tries to use a username with a capital letter

Bug #658798 reported by Nicholas Christian Langkjær Ipsen on 2010-10-11
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
One Hundred Papercuts
Wishlist
Unassigned
ubiquity
New
Undecided
Unassigned
ubiquity (Ubuntu)
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: ubiquity

Some new users try using a username with capital letters when installing Ubuntu. The installer should give a short error message, just like when you enter passwords which do not match. Currently, the only sign that something is wrong is that there is no checkmark next to the text entry box.

It would be even better if the text box automatically changed capital letters to lowercase as they are entered.

This is nothing big, but it is a small hurdle for new users who don't understand the rules usernames must abide by.

description: updated
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

Better than giving an error message would be to lower-case capital letters automatically as they are typed.

I didn't think of that, great idea. I'll add it to the bug.

Nicholas Ipsen

On 12 October 2010 12:02, Matthew Paul Thomas <email address hidden> wrote:

> Better than giving an error message would be to lower-case capital
> letters automatically as they are typed.
>
> --
> The installer should be more clear when a user tries to use a username with
> a capital letter
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/658798
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts: New
> Status in “ubiquity” package in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: ubiquity
>
> Some new users try using a username with capital letters when installing
> Ubuntu. The installer should give a short error message, just like when you
> enter passwords which do not match. Currently, the only sign that something
> is wrong is that there is no checkmark next to the text entry box.
>
> This is nothing big, but it is a small hurdle for new users who don't
> understand the rules usernames must abide by.
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/658798/+subscribe
>

description: updated
Vish (vish) on 2010-10-13
Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
status: New → Triaged
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
status: New → Triaged
delance (olivier-delance) wrote :

In "Answers", I helped two users on this issue and have seen a third one.
If needed I can search and provide the question references.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Confirmed
Bilal Akhtar (bilalakhtar) wrote :

Please don't mark properly-triaged bugs back to Confirmed without a valid reason.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
delance (olivier-delance) wrote :

If having many reports of such an issue is not enough to confirm a bug, could you explain me what is a valid reason.
Perhaps I misunderstood what means "Confirmed".

Vish (vish) wrote :

@delance, 'confirmed' is a status /lower/ than 'triaged' ;-)
For refence : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers