oem-config-firstboot results in Segmentation fault

Bug #611527 reported by Jamin W. Collins on 2010-07-30
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
ubiquity (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: ubiquity

I'm attempting to utilize oem-config to assist in the creation of a base VM image for cloning. The idea being that the image is cloned when a new VM is needed and oem-config prompts for the necessary information. However, running oem-config-prepare and rebooting only resulted in a black screen. Sometimes there would be a solid cursor present, others not. Once this happens I'm unable to switch to any other VT. The only option is to reboot the VM by sending CTRL+ALT+DEL. However, even after several reboots oem-config-firstboot is still attempting to run. Documentation indicates it'll stop after 5 failed attempts, but I've gone beyond that and it is still attempting to run.

So, I started over with a fresh clone of the base. Installed SSH and enabled oem-config debugging. Then ran oem-config-prepare and rebooted. Remoting into the VM with SSH I find the following in /var/log/oem-config.log:

Ubiquity 2.2.24 (oem-config)
Ubiquity 2.2.24 (oem-config)
debconf (developer): <-- VERSION 2
debconf (developer): --> 0 2.0
debconf (developer): <-- CAPB
debconf (developer): --> 0 multiselect escape
debconf (developer): <-- GET ubiquity/automation_failure_command
debconf (developer): --> 0
debconf (developer): <-- GET ubiquity/failure_command
debconf (developer): --> 0
debconf (developer): <-- GET ubiquity/success_command
debconf (developer): --> 0
debconf (developer): <-- INFO ubiquity/text/oem_user_config_title
debconf (developer): --> 0
debconf (developer): <-- GET debian-installer/locale
debconf (developer): --> 0
debconf (developer): <-- GET debian-installer/fallbacklocale
debconf (developer): --> 0
debconf (developer): <-- VERSION 2
debconf (developer): --> 0 2.0
debconf (developer): <-- CAPB
debconf (developer): --> 0 multiselect escape
debconf (developer): <-- GET debian-installer/framebuffer
debconf (developer): --> 0 true
Segmentation fault

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: oem-config 2.2.24
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.38-server 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-server x86_64
Architecture: amd64
Date: Thu Jul 29 19:20:04 2010
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100427)
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: ubiquity

Jamin W. Collins (jcollins) wrote :
Jamin W. Collins (jcollins) wrote :

I modified oem-config-wrapper to call call oem-config through strace and captured the attached log file.

Jamin W. Collins (jcollins) wrote :

I found that by disabling the attempted use of the framebuffer I'm able to at least get oem-config to run. For anyone else hit by this problem, run the following before running oem-config-prepare:

$ echo "ubiquity debian-installer/framebuffer boolean false" | sudo debconf-set-selections

This will update debconf with the setting necessary to instruct oem-config not to attempt to create a framebuffer.

Jamin W. Collins (jcollins) wrote :

While the above does work around the problem it does still leave the question of why oem-config is segfaulting when trying to setup a framebuffer.

Simon Quigley (tsimonq2) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to look at all reported bugs in a timely manner. There have been many changes in Ubuntu since that time you reported the bug and your problem may have been fixed with some of the updates. It would help us a lot if you could test it on a currently supported Ubuntu version. When you test it and it is still an issue, kindly upload the updated logs by running only once:
apport-collect 611527

and any other logs that are relevant for this particular issue.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for ubiquity (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers