problems with ubuntu 8.10 beta wubi installation

Bug #287088 reported by DavidBord on 2008-10-21
6
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Wubi
Undecided
Unassigned
ubiquity (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

i am working on hp compaq 6715s laptop
tried to install 8.10beta (desktop version) via wubi twice
1st time - forced it to install 32 bit version instead of 64 bit. installation took above 2 hours, after that, loading time was longer than usual, about 5 minutes, and each time i tried to restart it or shut it down a black screen appeared, but the computer was still on
i removed it and than:
2nd time - tried to install 64 bit version, installation was not finished, under 100% an error message appeared that the installation cannot be completed due to tell you the truth i don't remember
regards
David

Dan Trevino (dantrevino) wrote :

 Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. You reported this bug a while ago and there hasn't been any activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue for you. Can you try with the latest Ubuntu release? Thanks in advance.

i don't know if its still an issue, because i am currently working on ubuntu
via a virtual machineit will take a while till i install a version
but when i do so, i promise updating
David

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Dan Trevino <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. You reported this bug a while ago and there hasn't been
> any activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue
> for you. Can you try with the latest Ubuntu release? Thanks in advance.
>
> ** Changed in: ubuntu
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> problems with ubuntu 8.10 beta wubi installation
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/287088
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> i am working on hp compaq 6715s laptop
> tried to install 8.10beta (desktop version) via wubi twice
> 1st time - forced it to install 32 bit version instead of 64 bit.
> installation took above 2 hours, after that, loading time was longer than
> usual, about 5 minutes, and each time i tried to restart it or shut it down
> a black screen appeared, but the computer was still on
> i removed it and than:
> 2nd time - tried to install 64 bit version, installation was not finished,
> under 100% an error message appeared that the installation cannot be
> completed due to tell you the truth i don't remember
> regards
> David
>

DavidBord (dudu-bordeynik) wrote :

the temptation was too big, and i gave it another trythe 1st issue is STILL
relevant
regards
David

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Dudu Bordeynik <email address hidden>wrote:

> i don't know if its still an issue, because i am currently working on
> ubuntu via a virtual machineit will take a while till i install a version
> but when i do so, i promise updating
> David
>
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Dan Trevino <email address hidden>wrote:
>
>> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
>> Ubuntu better. You reported this bug a while ago and there hasn't been
>> any activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue
>> for you. Can you try with the latest Ubuntu release? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> ** Changed in: ubuntu
>> Status: New => Incomplete
>>
>> --
>> problems with ubuntu 8.10 beta wubi installation
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/287088
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>> Status in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>>
>> Bug description:
>> i am working on hp compaq 6715s laptop
>> tried to install 8.10beta (desktop version) via wubi twice
>> 1st time - forced it to install 32 bit version instead of 64 bit.
>> installation took above 2 hours, after that, loading time was longer than
>> usual, about 5 minutes, and each time i tried to restart it or shut it down
>> a black screen appeared, but the computer was still on
>> i removed it and than:
>> 2nd time - tried to install 64 bit version, installation was not finished,
>> under 100% an error message appeared that the installation cannot be
>> completed due to tell you the truth i don't remember
>> regards
>> David
>>
>
>

bigsolom (eslam-foad) wrote :

I had the same problem with the Ubuntu 8.10 (the release) on HP Compaq 6715s, I tried the same Live CD on a Dell D505 and it worked just fine, I don't know if it is an HP hardware issue or an ATI's graphics card one.

Przemek K. (azrael) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to look at all reported bugs in a timely manner. There have been many changes in Ubuntu since that time you reported the bug and your problem may have been fixed with some of the updates. If you could test the current Ubuntu development version (10.04), this would help us a lot. If you can test it, and it is still an issue, we would appreciate if you could upload updated logs by running apport-collect 287088, and any other logs that are relevant for this particular issue.

If you are unable to use apport, then please include the information requested at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingUbiquity/AttachingLogs as separate attachments by visiting your bug's web page. Thanks in advance.

affects: ubuntu → ubiquity (Ubuntu)
Agostino Russo (ago) wrote :

Can you please try with 10.10?

Changed in wubi:
status: New → Incomplete
DavidBord (dudu-bordeynik) wrote :

sorry but I don't run windows anymore, so I cannot really test the wubi...
regards,
David

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Agostino Russo <email address hidden>wrote:

> Can you please try with 10.10?
>
> ** Changed in: wubi
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> problems with ubuntu 8.10 beta wubi installation
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/287088
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Wubi, Windows Ubuntu Installer: Incomplete
> Status in “ubiquity” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> i am working on hp compaq 6715s laptop
> tried to install 8.10beta (desktop version) via wubi twice
> 1st time - forced it to install 32 bit version instead of 64 bit.
> installation took above 2 hours, after that, loading time was longer than
> usual, about 5 minutes, and each time i tried to restart it or shut it down
> a black screen appeared, but the computer was still on
> i removed it and than:
> 2nd time - tried to install 64 bit version, installation was not finished,
> under 100% an error message appeared that the installation cannot be
> completed due to tell you the truth i don't remember
> regards
> David
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/287088/+subscribe
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for ubiquity (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers