ubiquity need mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

Bug #1772374 reported by Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) on 2018-05-21
452
This bug affects 61 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
OEM Priority Project
High
Unassigned
ubiquity (Ubuntu)
Critical
Unassigned
Bionic
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Without mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars for target system, ubiquity sometimes failed to install bootloader on target system.

May 21 08:21:55 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64 (2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]:
May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Creating config file /etc/default/grub with new version
May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable "Boot0000": Input/output error
May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable: Input/output error
May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Failed: grub-install --target=x86_64-efi
May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: WARNING: Bootloader is not properly installed, system may not be bootable
May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64-signed (1.93+2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable "Boot0000": Input/output error
May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable: Input/output error
May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: dpkg: error processing package grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: installed grub-efi-amd64-signed package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Errors were encountered while processing:
May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-efi-amd64-signed

Related branches

Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) (swem) wrote :

installation failed:

Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) (swem) wrote :

My patch to fix this issue:

Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) (swem) wrote :

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/efibootmgr.8.html

Note: efibootmgr requires that the kernel support access to EFI non-volatile variables through /sys/firmware/efi/vars or /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/.

Changed in oem-priority:
importance: Undecided → High

The attachment "0001-add-mount-point-LP-1772374.patch" seems to be a patch. If it isn't, please remove the "patch" flag from the attachment, remove the "patch" tag, and if you are a member of the ~ubuntu-reviewers, unsubscribe the team.

[This is an automated message performed by a Launchpad user owned by ~brian-murray, for any issues please contact him.]

tags: added: patch
Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) (swem) wrote :
Changed in oem-priority:
assignee: nobody → Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) (swem)
Phillip Susi (psusi) wrote :

Why does it fail only sometimes? Shouldn't it fail all the time?

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Phillip Susi (psusi) on 2018-06-13
Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Critical
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package ubiquity - 18.10.4

---------------
ubiquity (18.10.4) cosmic; urgency=medium

  [ Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) ]
  * Add efivars to mountpoints loaded at bootloader install time.
    (LP: #1772374)

  [ Steve Langasek ]
  * scripts/plugininstall.py: don't hard-code a resume partition in
    /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume at install time. In bionic and later,
    initramfs-tools will autodetect an appropriate resume partition at
    initramfs generation time, so ubiquity's resume setting is redundant and
    possibly wrong. LP: #1768230.

  [ Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak ]
  * Make sure that grub-pc is not removed after installation for both EFI and
    legacy BIOS cases as we now technically need it even for EFI installs.
    (LP: #1775743)

  [ Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre ]
  * Automatic update of included source packages: grub-installer
    1.128ubuntu9.

 -- Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <email address hidden> Mon, 25 Jun 2018 13:57:40 -0400

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Changed in oem-priority:
status: New → Fix Released
Yuan-Chen Cheng (ycheng-twn) wrote :

Are we going to merged back to bionic ?

Changed in oem-priority:
status: Fix Released → Triaged
assignee: Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) (swem) → nobody
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: New → Confirmed

This needs to be merged back to bionic ASAP because it entirely prevents installing on UEFI systems.

sorry who is this?

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 7:25 AM Drew Walton <email address hidden>
wrote:

> This needs to be merged back to bionic ASAP because it entirely prevents
> installing on UEFI systems.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1776110).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1772374
>
> Title:
> ubiquity need mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
>
> Status in OEM Priority Project:
> Triaged
> Status in ubiquity package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in ubiquity source package in Bionic:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Without mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars for target system,
> ubiquity sometimes failed to install bootloader on target system.
>
> May 21 08:21:55 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64
> (2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]:
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Creating config file
> /etc/default/grub with new version
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi
> platform.
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable
> "Boot0000": Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable:
> Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr
> failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Failed: grub-install
> --target=x86_64-efi
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: WARNING: Bootloader is not
> properly installed, system may not be bootable
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64-signed
> (1.93+2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi
> platform.
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable
> "Boot0000": Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable:
> Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr
> failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: dpkg: error processing package
> grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: installed grub-efi-amd64-signed
> package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Errors were encountered while
> processing:
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-efi-amd64-signed
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oem-priority/+bug/1772374/+subscriptions
>

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic):
milestone: none → ubuntu-18.04.2
Marshall Moodie (bunchie) wrote :

hu? should i be worried?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 5:00 PM Brian Murray <email address hidden> wrote:

> ** Changed in: ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic)
> Milestone: None => ubuntu-18.04.2
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1776110).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1772374
>
> Title:
> ubiquity need mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
>
> Status in OEM Priority Project:
> Triaged
> Status in ubiquity package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in ubiquity source package in Bionic:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Without mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars for target system,
> ubiquity sometimes failed to install bootloader on target system.
>
> May 21 08:21:55 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64
> (2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]:
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Creating config file
> /etc/default/grub with new version
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi
> platform.
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable
> "Boot0000": Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable:
> Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr
> failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Failed: grub-install
> --target=x86_64-efi
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: WARNING: Bootloader is not
> properly installed, system may not be bootable
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64-signed
> (1.93+2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi
> platform.
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable
> "Boot0000": Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable:
> Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr
> failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: dpkg: error processing package
> grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: installed grub-efi-amd64-signed
> package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Errors were encountered while
> processing:
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-efi-amd64-signed
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oem-priority/+bug/1772374/+subscriptions
>

jundong.wu (jundong) on 2019-01-25
information type: Public → Public Security
information type: Public Security → Public
Marshall Moodie (bunchie) wrote :

What is this? Can u stop?
On Jan 25, 2019 12:36 AM, "Seth Arnold" <email address hidden> wrote:

> ** Information type changed from Public Security to Public
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1776110).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1772374
>
> Title:
> ubiquity need mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
>
> Status in OEM Priority Project:
> Triaged
> Status in ubiquity package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in ubiquity source package in Bionic:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Without mount point /sys/firmware/efi/efivars for target system,
> ubiquity sometimes failed to install bootloader on target system.
>
> May 21 08:21:55 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64
> (2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]:
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Creating config file
> /etc/default/grub with new version
> May 21 08:21:56 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi
> platform.
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable
> "Boot0000": Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable:
> Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr
> failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Failed: grub-install
> --target=x86_64-efi
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: WARNING: Bootloader is not
> properly installed, system may not be bootable
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Setting up grub-efi-amd64-signed
> (1.93+2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
> May 21 08:21:57 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Installing for x86_64-efi
> platform.
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Skipping unreadable variable
> "Boot0000": Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Could not prepare Boot variable:
> Input/output error
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-install: error: efibootmgr
> failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: dpkg: error processing package
> grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: installed grub-efi-amd64-signed
> package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: Errors were encountered while
> processing:
> May 21 08:21:58 ubuntu ubiquity[29387]: grub-efi-amd64-signed
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oem-priority/+bug/1772374/+subscriptions
>

Hello Chen-Han, or anyone else affected,

Accepted ubiquity into bionic-proposed. The package will build now and be available at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/18.04.14.12 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how to enable and use -proposed. Your feedback will aid us getting this update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug, mentioning the version of the package you tested and change the tag from verification-needed-bionic to verification-done-bionic. If it does not fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-failed-bionic. In either case, without details of your testing we will not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification . Thank you in advance for helping!

N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s) fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in -proposed for a minimum of 7 days.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
tags: added: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic

This change has been landed in bionic-proposed. As far as I can tell it's "verification-done" -- I can succesfully install on UEFI systems no problem, and /sys/firmware/efi/efivars is indeed mounted.

Unfortunately, I have no way to make sure it's indeed fixed since I have never been able to reproduce the issue.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → brabeem sapkota (brabeem)
Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Fix Committed → New
assignee: nobody → brabeem sapkota (brabeem)
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu):
assignee: brabeem sapkota (brabeem) → nobody
Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
assignee: brabeem sapkota (brabeem) → nobody
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package ubiquity - 18.04.14.12

---------------
ubiquity (18.04.14.12) bionic; urgency=medium

  [ Chen-Han Hsiao (Stanley) ]
  * scripts/plugininstall.py: Make sure efivars is bind-mounted when
    installing the bootloader. (LP: #1772374)

  [ Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre ]
  * Automatic update of included source packages: partman-efi
    71ubuntu2.2. (LP: #1803031)

 -- Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <email address hidden> Mon, 04 Feb 2019 11:13:42 -0500

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in oem-priority:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.