Ubuntu

[i865] - Can not start tvtime (since DRI is disabled)

Reported by Cesar Arguinzones on 2009-04-26
60
This bug affects 7 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
tvtime (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Jaunty
Undecided
Unassigned
xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Jaunty
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Hardware accelerated video playback does not work on i865 chipsets, since hardware acceleration has been disabled for that chipset due to bug 317457 ([i865G] 82865G freeze, works only with dri false). Video players usually play video using XV, but XV requires DRI and DRI has been disabled. Some video players (like totem) can play video without XV (at a performance cost), but tvtime requires XV and therefore does not work in this chipset.

[Original report]

Binary package hint: tvtime

Ubuntu release: 9.04

apt-cache policy tvtime
tvtime:
  Instalados: 1.0.2-1
  Candidato: 1.0.2-1
  Tabla de versión:
 *** 1.0.2-1 0
        500 http://ve.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Tvtime won't start in ubuntu 9.04, it show the following error message:

Cannot allocate enough off-screen video memory. This may be fixed by:

      1. Closing or restarting large X applications.
      2. Lowering the input width of tvtime (--inputwidth parameter).
      3. Lowering your colour depth or highest configured resolution.
      4. Increasing the amount of video memory in your X config file
         (for example, if you are using the i810 XFree86 driver.)

    See http://tvtime.net/ for more information.

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/cesar/listings.xml"
xmltv: Can't open file /home/cesar/listings.xml.

    Cannot allocate enough off-screen video memory. This may be fixed by:

      1. Closing or restarting large X applications.
      2. Lowering the input width of tvtime (--inputwidth parameter).
      3. Lowering your colour depth or highest configured resolution.
      4. Increasing the amount of video memory in your X config file
         (for example, if you are using the i810 XFree86 driver.)

    See http://tvtime.net/ for more information.

tvtime was working fine in ubuntu 8.10, note that i tried lowering the input width of tvtime as requested by the error message without any success

[lspci]
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface [8086:2570] (rev 02)
 Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:2570]
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2572] (rev 02)
 Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:2572]

Cesar Arguinzones <email address hidden> writes:

> Tvtime won't start in ubuntu 9.04, it show the following error message:
>
> Cannot allocate enough off-screen video memory. This may be fixed by:
>
> 1. Closing or restarting large X applications.
> 2. Lowering the input width of tvtime (--inputwidth parameter).
> 3. Lowering your colour depth or highest configured resolution.
> 4. Increasing the amount of video memory in your X config file
> (for example, if you are using the i810 XFree86 driver.)

what video driver are you using?

This seems to me a video driver issue rather than something that could
be fixed in tvtime

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

Well, I don't really know.
How could I find out, what my video driver is, if the xorg.conf as far as i
know should be empty...

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Reinhard Tartler <email address hidden>wrote:

> Cesar Arguinzones <email address hidden> writes:
>
> > Tvtime won't start in ubuntu 9.04, it show the following error message:
> >
> > Cannot allocate enough off-screen video memory. This may be fixed by:
> >
> > 1. Closing or restarting large X applications.
> > 2. Lowering the input width of tvtime (--inputwidth parameter).
> > 3. Lowering your colour depth or highest configured resolution.
> > 4. Increasing the amount of video memory in your X config file
> > (for example, if you are using the i810 XFree86 driver.)
>
> what video driver are you using?
>
> This seems to me a video driver issue rather than something that could
> be fixed in tvtime
>
> --
> Gruesse/greetings,
> Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4
>
> --
> [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367546
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Cesar Arguinzones

Cesar Arguinzones <email address hidden> writes:

> Well, I don't really know.
> How could I find out, what my video driver is, if the xorg.conf as far as i
> know should be empty...

attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to this bug

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

As requested.
Attaching /var/log/Xorg.0.log
This is for ubuntu 9.04

Cesar Arguinzones (ceap80) wrote :

Just in case, i'm attaching the Xorg.0.log from ubuntu 8.10, where tvtime does work.

I hope, this help...

Reinhard Tartler (siretart) wrote :

seems to be intel with EXA acceleration. Opening task for the intel driver. Needs further investigation if the intel driver is really at fault here.

geoff c p (g-p-optusnet) wrote :

I use Linux Mint version Daryna and tvtime works perfectly then I changed to Linux mint Felicia and tvtime simoly flashes and is gone.
My computer had AMD 2500 and I changed to AMD 3200+ but tvtime stiill only worked on Daryna.
Now I nhave installed Ubuntu 9.04 and the problem persists
.

Well, if you need any other info from me, don't hesitate in ask for it.
This problem, prevents me from using jaunty at 100%

Thanks!

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:21 AM, geoff c p <email address hidden> wrote:

> I use Linux Mint version Daryna and tvtime works perfectly then I changed
> to Linux mint Felicia and tvtime simoly flashes and is gone.
> My computer had AMD 2500 and I changed to AMD 3200+ but tvtime stiill only
> worked on Daryna.
> Now I nhave installed Ubuntu 9.04 and the problem persists
> .
>
> --
> [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367546
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Cesar Arguinzones

Cesar, could you please also upload the output of `lspci -vvnn` as a separate attachement? We need this for all xorg-related bugs to identify the exact hardware.

tags: added: 865g intel jaunty needs-lspci-vvnn xorg
summary: - [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
+ [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete

As requested, I'm attaching the ouput of `lspci -vvnn`

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Geir Ove Myhr <email address hidden> wrote:

> Cesar, could you please also upload the output of `lspci -vvnn` as a
> separate attachement? We need this for all xorg-related bugs to identify
> the exact hardware.
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
> + [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
>
> ** Tags added: 865g intel jaunty needs-lspci-vvnn xorg
>
> ** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367546
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Cesar Arguinzones

Geir Ove Myhr (gomyhr) on 2009-05-01
description: updated
tags: removed: needs-lspci-vvnn
Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed

According to the tvtime website, tvtime requires XV: http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/problems.html#vidmemory
XV can only work with DRI, but DRI was disabled for the 865, see the message in Xorg.0.log:

(**) intel(0): DRI is disabled because it fails to run without freezing on i810 and i865G chips. (See LP 304871)
(bug 304871)

Geir Ove Myhr (gomyhr) wrote :

Thanks for that information, Albert. The bug number, however, is now #317457. It used to be a duplicate of 304871, but that one is now narrowed down to the i845 chipsets.

Geir Ove Myhr (gomyhr) on 2009-05-03
description: updated
summary: - [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
+ [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (since DRI is disabled)

It's possible as a workaround, to use the driver from intrepid in jaunty? Or
to enable DRI in my PC for testing?

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Geir Ove Myhr <email address hidden> wrote:

> ** Description changed:
>
> + Hardware accelerated video playback does not work on i865 chipsets,
> + since hardware acceleration has been disabled for that chipset due to
> + bug 317457 ([i865G] 82865G freeze, works only with dri false). Video
> + players usually play video using XV, but XV requires DRI and DRI has
> + been disabled. Some video players (like totem) can play video without XV
> + (at a performance cost), but tvtime requires XV and therefore does not
> + work in this chipset.
> +
> + [Original report]
> +
> Binary package hint: tvtime
>
> Ubuntu release: 9.04
>
> apt-cache policy tvtime
> tvtime:
> Instalados: 1.0.2-1
> Candidato: 1.0.2-1
> Tabla de versión:
> *** 1.0.2-1 0
> 500 http://ve.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Tvtime won't start in ubuntu 9.04, it show the following error message:
>
> Cannot allocate enough off-screen video memory. This may be fixed by:
>
> 1. Closing or restarting large X applications.
> 2. Lowering the input width of tvtime (--inputwidth parameter).
> 3. Lowering your colour depth or highest configured resolution.
> 4. Increasing the amount of video memory in your X config file
> (for example, if you are using the i810 XFree86 driver.)
>
> See http://tvtime.net/ for more information.
>
> I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/cesar/listings.xml"
> xmltv: Can't open file /home/cesar/listings.xml.
>
> Cannot allocate enough off-screen video memory. This may be fixed
> by:
>
> 1. Closing or restarting large X applications.
> 2. Lowering the input width of tvtime (--inputwidth parameter).
> 3. Lowering your colour depth or highest configured resolution.
> 4. Increasing the amount of video memory in your X config file
> (for example, if you are using the i810 XFree86 driver.)
>
> See http://tvtime.net/ for more information.
>
>
> tvtime was working fine in ubuntu 8.10, note that i tried lowering the
> input width of tvtime as requested by the error message without any success
>
> [lspci]
> 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM
> Controller/Host-Hub Interface [8086:2570] (rev 02)
> Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:2570]
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82865G
> Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2572] (rev 02)
> Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:2572]
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (it was working in intrepid)
> + [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (since DRI is disabled)
>
> --
> [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (since DRI is disabled)
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367546
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Cesar Arguinzones

Geir Ove Myhr (gomyhr) wrote :

> It's possible as a workaround, to use the driver from intrepid in jaunty? Or
> to enable DRI in my PC for testing?

I have read about people installing the intrepid driver with various
levels of success. I have seen it in a few bug reports, but I don't
remember where. I think people get it from Reinhard Tartler's PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~siretart/+archive/ppa .

I think that adding
  Option "DRI" "true"
to the "Device" section in your xorg.conf should enable DRI. You can
check this by looking in Xorg.0.log if it is enabled or not. If this
does not work, you can build the driver without the patch (it's not as
hard as it sounds - ask if you want to try).

tags: added: jaunty-regression

I confirm on GM965/GL960. Note that this has nothing to do with DRI. the symptoms described occur both with DRI enabled and with it disabled. Note also it has nothing to do with tvtime -- it affects all xv apps (totem, vlc, mplayer, etc). You can enable TexturedVideo via
    Option "XvPreferOverlay" "false"
(note that TexturedVideo is the default, so people seeing this bug must have set XvPreferOverlay). But with TexturedVideo you get bug #358365. Finally, the error message appearing on the X console is:
    (EE) intel(0): Failed to pin xv buffer
as reported in one of the dupes.

So, video playback is impossible with this driver. You can disable xv (e.g. using gstreamer-properties) but the speed is then too slow to use fullscreen.

Version 2.7.0 of this driver has been released, and is packaged at: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates/ . I'll try that next and report if it fixes this bug (and #358365).

Bob McElrath (bob+ubuntu) wrote :

not a tvtime bug, it's an intel driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel) bug.

Changed in tvtime (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
Bob McElrath (bob+ubuntu) wrote :

This bug is indeed fixed by the updated 2.7.0 driver at:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates/
However you MUST used TexturedVideo (again, the default anyway) so remove any XvPreferOverlay option from your xorg.conf. When this option is false, it causes a different bug and X crash. Works with DRI enabled too.

Can an update be pushed out?

Cesar Arguinzones (ceap80) wrote :

I just installed the driver from the ppa, but i receive the same error, I don't know if i have to make another changes.

Notice that I still get the "DRI is disabled because it fails to run without freezing on i810 and i865G chips. (See LP 304871)" message in Xorg.0.log

Cesar Arguinzones (ceap80) wrote :
Bob McElrath (bob+ubuntu) wrote :

Then this would appear to be an 865/965 difference. I posted here because bug #371275 is marked as a dup, and I have the symptoms of that bug. I don't get the message "DRI is disabled because it fails to run without freezing on i810 and i865G chips" (because I have a GM965).

RarSa (rarsa) wrote :

I added my input in bug Bug #371275 but it's marked as a duplicate so here they are again:

Things were working OK under Intrepid Ibex

Here is my lspci for the video card

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

====================
Looking at Xorg.log I can see a lot of of
(EE) intel(0): Failed to pin xv buffer
(EE) intel(0): Failed to pin xv buffer

I did several tests with different applications and here is what I got
========
avidemux
It can play the movie
========
gstreamer-properties with Default output as "X Windows System (No Xv)" and then clicking "Test"
=========
I get the following error under the following circumnstances
Totem
gstreamer-properties with Default output as "Autodetect" and then clicking "Test"
Kino trying to open a .dv file
=======
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gdata/tlslite/utils/cryptomath.py:9: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
  import sha
[mpeg4 @ 0xafd9e40]looks like this file was encoded with (divx4/(old)xvid/opendivx) -> forcing low_delay flag
The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 99 error_code 11 request_code 132 minor_code 19)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
====================
I get the following for
vlc
========
[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
 BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request: 19 ()
  Serial number of failed request: 81
  Current serial number in output stream: 82
========
When testing with mplayer
========
[ws] Error in display.
[ws] Error code: 11 ( BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) )
[ws] Request code: 132
[ws] Minor code: 19
[ws] Modules: flip_page
========
Also if I try to watch TV or my recordings on MythTv I just get a blue screen.
========

What else can I test that can be useful to find this bug?

RarSa (rarsa) wrote :

Here is the full lspci -vvnn for my video card

===
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2572] (rev 02)
 Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:2572]
 Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
 Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
 Latency: 0
 Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
 Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
 Region 1: Memory at ff280000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
 Region 2: I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
 Capabilities: <access denied>
 Kernel modules: intelfb

===============

RarSa (rarsa) wrote :

Solved for me. No longer getting the error in Xorg.0.log and my video performance is better than before. MythTV, vlc and gmplayer work at full screen using a fraction of the CPU. Still some choppy video with Miro, and Totem is not displaying video but I am not getting the error.

I had luck by Reverting the Jaunty Xorg intel driver to 2.4 as explained in this link

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

Then I edited

xorg.conf adding the following to the "Device" section
 Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
 Option "AccelMethod" "xaa"

I don't know if changing gstreamer-properties Default output to "X Windows System (No Xv)" had any effect but it is working so I also left it.

Just in case you are wondering. Here is the result of "lspci -nn | grep VGA"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2572] (rev 02)

If I have some time I will try moving up to 2.8 as explained here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/IntelPerformance

njsf (nelson-ferreira) wrote :

I tried moving up to 2.8 as explained here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/IntelPerformance

And instead of crashing video I got NO X images at all, except for the cursor. Everything else was just pitch black

Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2009-07-06
summary: - [i865] [Jaunty] - Can not start tvtime (since DRI is disabled)
+ [i865] - Can not start tvtime (since DRI is disabled)
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

Closing as solved as per comment #24.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Geir Ove Myhr (gomyhr) wrote :

Reopening. Comment #24 says "Solved for me [...] by Reverting the Jaunty Xorg intel driver to 2.4", so the bug is not fixed.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Released → Confirmed
Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2009-07-14
Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Jaunty):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

The i865 DRI disablement patch was dropped in karmic. Still an issue for jaunty but we can close the karmic task.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Mike Nuss (nmx) wrote :

Since karmic won't be released for a while, is there a way to disable the disablement patch in Jaunty, without reverting to the 2.4 driver?

JC Hulce (soaringsky) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug. This issue has been fixed in newer versions of Ubuntu, and Jaunty is EOL, so I am closing this bug task.

Changed in xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Jaunty):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in tvtime (Ubuntu Jaunty):
status: New → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers