tvtime loses cable tuning precision

Bug #1126783 reported by Jerry Miller on 2013-02-16
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
tvtime (Ubuntu)

Bug Description

I just started using Ubuntu because my underpowered CPU can't keep up with closed captioning in Windows Media Centre. Usual learning curve, multiple re-installs, etc.
However, once I had Ubuntu installed and looked for software to work with my TV tuner card (Hauppauge WinTV USB2-FM), I installed tvtime and in worked within minutes, including the captioning. (although the sound feed wasn't working).
Nice quick job on scanning for channels on my analog cable service , etc.
Now it's a couple of days later and all I get is static (fuzzy pictures), I know the tuner is kind of working because I can change channels and the general outline of the picture seems to match what should be broadcast. I've fiddled with a bunch of the input/interleave/channel management/finetune/retune settings, and even de-installed/re-installed.
No effect.
I'm on the newest releae of everything, since its a brand new install (Ubuntu 12.10), and up-to-date software notices have been installed.
The only recent change (since yesterday when it was working) is that I installed the restricted access bundle for MPlayer to solve a DVD player problem. with plugins and the sound feed.
I de-installed/re-installed tvtime afterwards just in case there was a dependency. No effect.
tvtime (1.0.2-9ubunu1.1)

No big deal, but I'm kind of interested in the platform, and would like to see it working.

rootuser@ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -rd
Description: Ubuntu 12.10
Release: 12.10
rootuser@ubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy tvtime
  Installed: 1.0.2-9ubuntu1.1
  Candidate: 1.0.2-9ubuntu1.1
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.2-9ubuntu1.1 0
        500 quantal-updates/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.2-9ubuntu1 0
        500 quantal/universe i386 Packages

I'll follow up on the reporting and debugging procedures in a later post.

Jerry Miller (jerry-miller-v) wrote :

Problem seems to come and go. I have a separate script now that runs outside of tvtime that can set the channel on the tuner device (since VLC has no channel changer in its interface). Once I run that I have a clear picture again. Script uses
v4l2-ctl --set-freq=$freq to set the channel.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers