Ubuntu

[gutsy] trackerd vs. strigidaemon

Reported by Benjamin Herrenschmidt on 2007-09-29
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
strigi (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
tracker (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

After installing gutsy from a daily iso and then doing apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, when loggin into
KDE, I get both strigidaemon and trackerd running. The result on a brand new distro on which I've
rsync'ed a few gigabytes of stuff off my previous one is that the box is totally DOSed for at least half a day
(I killed them after that)... you get vague responsiveness of the GUI every 15 seconds or so, pretty much
unuseable due to IO load.

In addition, I haven't figured out any obvious way in the GUI to disable either daemon. I don't want
them indexing my disk but it isn't clear to me what is controlling them or launching them. They
don't seem to be trigged by initd and strigidaemon doesn't seem to appear as a KDE service either.

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort (pochu) wrote :

Could you tell us which tracker version do you have? If it is 0.6.2, then it's a know issue, but it should be fixed (or at least improved a lot) with tracker 0.6.3, which is already in the repositories.

So if you don't have tracker 0.6.3, update to it and let us know whether responsiveness improves or not.

Also, you can disable the tracker daemon in System>Preferences>Sessions, or change tracker's preferences in System>Preferences>Indexing.

Changed in tracker:
importance: Undecided → High

I updated earlier today so I now have 0.6.3, I'm not sure what i had before, probably 0.6.2.

Not the problem isn't the responsiveness issue when tracker runs, I know about that issue and that it's being worked on
separately.

The problem here is specifically that after an install of kubuntu-desktop on top of a normal ubuntu-desktop, when running
a KDE session, I end up with both daemons running which is not really a good idea.
I'll verify if it's still happening after the latest updates tomorrow.

For any lurker around, when running a KDE session, tracker prefs are in KDE menu -> Settings -> Indexing Preferences

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort (pochu) wrote :

I don't know how this could be solved.

One option for this would be to make tracker conflict with strigi, but I don't think that's a good idea, since they aren't really conflicting (there's no problem with having both, other than it might be useless). Also, this would mean either removing strigi or tracker, and if you remove tracker, you will loose all the integration in the GNOME Desktop (dunno what would happen if you remove strigi).

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort (pochu) wrote :

Lowering as this isn't about responsiveness (there's another bug report for that).

Changed in tracker:
importance: High → Medium

What is controlling launching/quitting of both of these ? They don't seem to be services in /etc/init.d ...

Maybe best is some kind of script on launch of gnome/kde sessions that check if both indexers are running,
and asks if the user wants to disable one of them (with an option to not display the thing any more).

trackerd should be started by gnome-session so should only be started if you are logged into gnome

likewise strigi should only be started if you log into kde. If you run kde apps from gnome (or vice versa) then hopefully they wont start each others indexers?

in the long term both strigi and tracker will use xesam so only one will be able to run at a time.

Allright, I did suspect the session thing (though I didn't find strigi in the KDE service manager), but for some strange
reason, trackerd gets loaded on my kde sessions... could be when I launch a gnome app as I have evolution auto
loaded, or could have been from saving a session where it was running after logging out from gnome and back
into kde, I'll try to reproduce with fresh settings tomorrow or later next week.

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort (pochu) wrote :

Let us know when you check it.

Changed in tracker:
status: New → Incomplete

It's the file
/usr/share/autostart/trackerd.desktop

which autostarts trackerd for kde and

/etc/xdg/autostart/trackerd.desktop

which autostarts trackerd for GNOME/XFCE.

If Ubuntu doesn't want to autostart trackerd for KDE, simply remove
the former file from debian/tracker.install.

--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?

Rudd-O (rudd-o) wrote :

Check ~/.kde/Autostart, ~/.local/Autostart and another directory (cant recall its name) within .kde

Bug 147017 [1] reports that when logging in KDE with Gnome installed,
there will be both trackerd and strigi running, which sounds useless
since both are indexers.

So my question is, should we disable trackerd from starting in KDE? As
Michael Biebl (who is the Debian maintainer for tracker) said, it just
means removing /usr/share/autostart/trackerd.desktop from tracker package.

Best,
Emilio

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/147017

Michael Biebl wrote:
> It's the file
> /usr/share/autostart/trackerd.desktop
>
> which autostarts trackerd for kde and
>
> /etc/xdg/autostart/trackerd.desktop
>
> which autostarts trackerd for GNOME/XFCE.
>
> If Ubuntu doesn't want to autostart trackerd for KDE, simply remove
> the former file from debian/tracker.install.

Michael Biebl (mbiebl) wrote :

2007/9/30, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <email address hidden>:
> Bug 147017 [1] reports that when logging in KDE with Gnome installed,
> there will be both trackerd and strigi running, which sounds useless
> since both are indexers.
>
> So my question is, should we disable trackerd from starting in KDE? As
> Michael Biebl (who is the Debian maintainer for tracker) said, it just
> means removing /usr/share/autostart/trackerd.desktop from tracker package.
>
> Best,
> Emilio
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/147017
>
> Michael Biebl wrote:
> > It's the file
> > /usr/share/autostart/trackerd.desktop
> >
> > which autostarts trackerd for kde and
> >
> > /etc/xdg/autostart/trackerd.desktop
> >
> > which autostarts trackerd for GNOME/XFCE.
> >
> > If Ubuntu doesn't want to autostart trackerd for KDE, simply remove
> > the former file from debian/tracker.install.

Well, I don't have strigidaemon installed, but also use KDE so I want
trackerd to be autostarted for KDE so the GTK apps can access tracker
when running under KDE.
 There is also a KIO slave [1] that I use under KDE, which works quite nicely.
There is no technical reason, to not run and install tracker for KDE.
Maybe a conflicts with strigidaemon is actually the best that is atm
until both support the xesam spec.
This would mean though, that you can't install ubuntu-desktop and
kubuntu-desktop in parallel anymore (but I don't know if that is
actually supported).

[1] http://demandiseineseite.gmxhome.de/find/

[1]http://demandiseineseite.gmxhome.de/find/

--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?

Michael Biebl (mbiebl) wrote :

2007/9/30, Michael Biebl <email address hidden>:
> 2007/9/30, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <email address hidden>:
> >
> > So my question is, should we disable trackerd from starting in KDE? As
> > Michael Biebl (who is the Debian maintainer for tracker) said, it just
> > means removing /usr/share/autostart/trackerd.desktop from tracker package.

> Maybe a conflicts with strigidaemon is actually the best that is atm
> until both support the xesam spec.
> This would mean though, that you can't install ubuntu-desktop and
> kubuntu-desktop in parallel anymore (but I don't know if that is
> actually supported).

Seems, that kubuntu-desktop only Recommends: strigi-applet, so having
a Conflicts wouldn't make kubuntu-desktop uninstallable.

--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort (pochu) wrote :

Jonothan Riddle disabled tracker on KDE in a recent upload:

 tracker (0.6.3-0ubuntu2) gutsy; urgency=low
 .
   * Add 02_no_kde_autostart.patch, don't autostart in KDE
     since it already has a disk indexer

Changed in tracker:
status: Incomplete → Fix Released
Jonathan Riddell (jr) wrote :

Marking as invalid for strigi, it only starts when you start one of its clients.

Changed in strigi:
status: New → Invalid

Checked that with the latest updates, tracker is no longer started in KDE. Thanks.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers