totem: fails to start

Bug #6833 reported by Debian Bug Importer on 2004-06-26
8
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
totem (Debian)
Fix Released
Unknown
totem (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Automatically imported from Debian bug report #256304
http://bugs.debian.org/256304

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Automatically imported from Debian bug report #256304
http://bugs.debian.org/256304

Le sam, 26/06/2004 à 02:16 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I can not start totem this is as simple as that.
> I've set the debug value to true but there is no debug information.
> I've attached the output of running strace totem.
>
> Tell me if there is anything I can do to help you crash this bug.

Hi,

Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
you have the backtrace.

Other way to get it, using gdb:
$ gdb totem
(gdb) thread apply all bt
(gdb) run
..
crash
(gdb) bt

Thanks,

Sebastien Bacher

* Sebastien Bacher [12:12 26/06/04 CEST]:
>Le sam, 26/06/2004 à 02:16 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I can not start totem this is as simple as that.
>> I've set the debug value to true but there is no debug information.
>> I've attached the output of running strace totem.
>>
>> Tell me if there is anything I can do to help you crash this bug.
>
>Hi,
>
>Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
>have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
>you have the backtrace.

Ok here it is.

--
(°> Nicolas Évrard
/ ) Liège - Belgique
^^

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-Id: <1088244764.2618.1.camel@seb128>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:12:44 +0200
From: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
To: Nicolas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>,
 <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

Le sam, 26/06/2004 =E0 02:16 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :
> Hello,
>=20
> I can not start totem this is as simple as that.
> I've set the debug value to true but there is no debug information.
> I've attached the output of running strace totem.
>=20
> Tell me if there is anything I can do to help you crash this bug.

Hi,

Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
you have the backtrace.

Other way to get it, using gdb:
$ gdb totem
(gdb) thread apply all bt
(gdb) run
..
crash
(gdb) bt

Thanks,

Sebastien Bacher

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :
Download full text (11.4 KiB)

Message-ID: <email address hidden>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:50:53 +0200
From: Nicolas =?iso-8859-15?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
To: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15; format=flowed
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-MIME-Autoconverted: from 8bit to quoted-printable by
 outmx004.isp.belgacom.be id i5QAp3kj020705

* Sebastien Bacher [12:12 26/06/04 CEST]:=20
>Le sam, 26/06/2004 =E0 02:16 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> I can not start totem this is as simple as that.
>> I've set the debug value to true but there is no debug information.
>> I've attached the output of running strace totem.
>>=20
>> Tell me if there is anything I can do to help you crash this bug.
>
>Hi,
>
>Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
>have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
>you have the backtrace.

Ok here it is.

--=20
(=B0> Nicolas =C9vrard
/ ) Li=E8ge - Belgique
^^ =20

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="totem.bcktrace"

Debugging Information:

Backtrace was generated from '/usr/bin/totem'

(no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library
"/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no
debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging
symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 1089283296 (LWP 6231)]
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no
debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging
symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols
fo...

# Automatically generated email from bts, devscripts version 2.7.95.1
severity 256304 important

Le sam, 26/06/2004 à 12:50 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :

> >Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
> >have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
> >you have the backtrace.
>
> Ok here it is.

Ok, thanks. I've not idea of the problem for the moment but I'll talk
with the devel about this and let you know.

You're using the testing version, but could try with totem-xine package
(the package has been splitted in unstable), it should be easy to
install on a testing box ? It could help to see if the bug is fixed.

BTW I'm changing the severity to important for the moment since the
problem has been reported only once and is not reproducible.

Thanks,

Sebastien Bacher

* Sebastien Bacher [17:03 28/06/04 CEST]:
>Le sam, 26/06/2004 à 12:50 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :
>
>> >Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
>> >have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
>> >you have the backtrace.
>>
>> Ok here it is.
>
>Ok, thanks. I've not idea of the problem for the moment but I'll talk
>with the devel about this and let you know.
>
>You're using the testing version, but could try with totem-xine package
>(the package has been splitted in unstable), it should be easy to
>install on a testing box ? It could help to see if the bug is fixed.

Ok I'll try that and report about it.

>BTW I'm changing the severity to important for the moment since the
>problem has been reported only once and is not reproducible.

No problem. It seems weird to me too, it worked before but since an
uncertain date it does not seems to work anymore (only change: fixed the
icon as papersheet bug of nautilus by using unstable version of
capplets).

Now it's not crashing anymore but it's not starting. It fails in an
infinite loop trying to access a resource.

--
(°> Nicolas Évrard
/ ) Liège - Belgique
^^ Listening to: Les flamandes
                   Jacques Brel

* Nicolas Évrard [17:35 28/06/04 CEST]:
>* Sebastien Bacher [17:03 28/06/04 CEST]:
>>Le sam, 26/06/2004 à 12:50 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :
>>
>>> >Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
>>> >have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
>>> >you have the backtrace.
>>>
>>>Ok here it is.
>>
>>Ok, thanks. I've not idea of the problem for the moment but I'll talk
>>with the devel about this and let you know.
>>
>>You're using the testing version, but could try with totem-xine package
>>(the package has been splitted in unstable), it should be easy to
>>install on a testing box ? It could help to see if the bug is fixed.
>
>Ok I'll try that and report about it.

It's not fixed. Here is attached the output of strace. It's really weird
because now it fails in an infinite loop (just as with my previous
version).

--
(°> Nicolas Évrard
/ ) Liège - Belgique
^^ Listening to: Blueski
                   Underworld

Le lun, 28/06/2004 à 18:09 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :

> It's not fixed. Here is attached the output of strace. It's really weird
> because now it fails in an infinite loop (just as with my previous
> version).

The strace output has a segfault:
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---

Could you try to get a new backtrace with gdb ?

Thanks,

Sebastien Bacher

* Sebastien Bacher [18:25 28/06/04 CEST]:

>> It's not fixed. Here is attached the output of strace. It's really weird
>> because now it fails in an infinite loop (just as with my previous
>> version).
>
>The strace output has a segfault:
>--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
>
>Could you try to get a new backtrace with gdb ?

I tried but I only got two line, the last one saying 'stack corrupt'.

But ... I restarted my computer (because my dvd drive start behaving
weird) and the bug is gone. I can now start totem, play some files, and
so on.

So this is probably a kernel bug or an hardware problem.

--
(°> Nicolas Évrard
/ ) Liège - Belgique
^^

Le lun, 28/06/2004 à 18:32 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :

> But ... I restarted my computer (because my dvd drive start behaving
> weird) and the bug is gone. I can now start totem, play some files, and
> so on.
>
> So this is probably a kernel bug or an hardware problem.

Ok. All that is weird, but since the bug is fixed and we don't have
useful information to reproduce here I think we could close this bug and
reopen it later if we got useful informations. Are you ok with that ?

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

* Sebastien Bacher [18:59 28/06/04 CEST]:
>Le lun, 28/06/2004 à 18:32 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :
>
>> But ... I restarted my computer (because my dvd drive start behaving
>> weird) and the bug is gone. I can now start totem, play some files, and
>> so on.
>>
>> So this is probably a kernel bug or an hardware problem.
>
>Ok. All that is weird, but since the bug is fixed and we don't have
>useful information to reproduce here I think we could close this bug and
>reopen it later if we got useful informations. Are you ok with that ?

No problem.

>Cheers,
>
>Sebastien Bacher

See you in debian-user-french :)

--
(°> Nicolas Évrard
/ ) Liège - Belgique
^^ Listening to: Big Indian
                   The Dandy Warhols

Le lun, 28/06/2004 à 19:10 +0200, Nicolas Évrard a écrit :

> No problem.

Ok, bug closed.

> See you in debian-user-french :)

he he :p

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

oups, forgotten the "-done" part

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Closed in the BTS, apparently fixed with new totem version

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-Id: <1088434994.3965.44.camel@seb128>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:03:14 +0200
From: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
To: Nicolas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

Le sam, 26/06/2004 =E0 12:50 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :

> >Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probably
> >have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the screen
> >you have the backtrace.
>=20
> Ok here it is.

Ok, thanks. I've not idea of the problem for the moment but I'll talk
with the devel about this and let you know.=20

You're using the testing version, but could try with totem-xine package
(the package has been splitted in unstable), it should be easy to
install on a testing box ? It could help to see if the bug is fixed.

BTW I'm changing the severity to important for the moment since the
problem has been reported only once and is not reproducible.

Thanks,

Sebastien Bacher

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-Id: <E1Bexf4-0006Uq-00@seb128>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:03:10 +0200
From: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
To: <email address hidden>
Subject: severity of 256304 is important

# Automatically generated email from bts, devscripts version 2.7.95.1
severity 256304 important

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-ID: <email address hidden>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:35:03 +0200
From: Nicolas =?iso-8859-15?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
To: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

* Sebastien Bacher [17:03 28/06/04 CEST]:=20
>Le sam, 26/06/2004 =E0 12:50 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :
>
>> >Could you provide a backtrace ? If bug-buddy is installed you probabl=
y
>> >have a button to report the problem, in the details of one of the scr=
een
>> >you have the backtrace.
>>=20
>> Ok here it is.
>
>Ok, thanks. I've not idea of the problem for the moment but I'll talk
>with the devel about this and let you know.=20
>
>You're using the testing version, but could try with totem-xine package
>(the package has been splitted in unstable), it should be easy to
>install on a testing box ? It could help to see if the bug is fixed.

Ok I'll try that and report about it.

>BTW I'm changing the severity to important for the moment since the
>problem has been reported only once and is not reproducible.

No problem. It seems weird to me too, it worked before but since an
uncertain date it does not seems to work anymore (only change: fixed the
icon as papersheet bug of nautilus by using unstable version of
capplets).

Now it's not crashing anymore but it's not starting. It fails in an
infinite loop trying to access a resource.

--=20
(=B0> Nicolas =C9vrard
/ ) Li=E8ge - Belgique
^^ Listening to: Les flamandes
                   Jacques Brel

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-Id: <1088439928.3965.56.camel@seb128>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:25:28 +0200
From: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
To: Nicolas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

Le lun, 28/06/2004 =E0 18:09 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :

> It's not fixed. Here is attached the output of strace. It's really weird
> because now it fails in an infinite loop (just as with my previous
> version).

The strace output has a segfault:
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---

Could you try to get a new backtrace with gdb ?=20

Thanks,

Sebastien Bacher

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-ID: <email address hidden>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:32:56 +0200
From: Nicolas =?iso-8859-15?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
To: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

* Sebastien Bacher [18:25 28/06/04 CEST]:=20

>> It's not fixed. Here is attached the output of strace. It's really wei=
rd
>> because now it fails in an infinite loop (just as with my previous
>> version).
>
>The strace output has a segfault:
>--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
>
>Could you try to get a new backtrace with gdb ?=20

I tried but I only got two line, the last one saying 'stack corrupt'.

But ... I restarted my computer (because my dvd drive start behaving
weird) and the bug is gone. I can now start totem, play some files, and
so on.

So this is probably a kernel bug or an hardware problem.

--=20
(=B0> Nicolas =C9vrard
/ ) Li=E8ge - Belgique
^^ =20

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-Id: <1088441977.3965.63.camel@seb128>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:59:37 +0200
From: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
To: Nicolas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

Le lun, 28/06/2004 =E0 18:32 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :

> But ... I restarted my computer (because my dvd drive start behaving
> weird) and the bug is gone. I can now start totem, play some files, and
> so on.
>=20
> So this is probably a kernel bug or an hardware problem.

Ok. All that is weird, but since the bug is fixed and we don't have
useful information to reproduce here I think we could close this bug and
reopen it later if we got useful informations. Are you ok with that ?

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-ID: <email address hidden>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:10:48 +0200
From: Nicolas =?iso-8859-15?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
To: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

* Sebastien Bacher [18:59 28/06/04 CEST]:=20
>Le lun, 28/06/2004 =E0 18:32 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :
>
>> But ... I restarted my computer (because my dvd drive start behaving
>> weird) and the bug is gone. I can now start totem, play some files, an=
d
>> so on.
>>=20
>> So this is probably a kernel bug or an hardware problem.
>
>Ok. All that is weird, but since the bug is fixed and we don't have
>useful information to reproduce here I think we could close this bug and
>reopen it later if we got useful informations. Are you ok with that ?

No problem.

>Cheers,
>
>Sebastien Bacher

See you in debian-user-french :)

--=20
(=B0> Nicolas =C9vrard
/ ) Li=E8ge - Belgique
^^ Listening to: Big Indian
                   The Dandy Warhols

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-Id: <1088443551.3965.65.camel@seb128>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:25:51 +0200
From: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
To: Nicolas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C9vrard?= <email address hidden>
Cc: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

Le lun, 28/06/2004 =E0 19:10 +0200, Nicolas =C9vrard a =E9crit :

> No problem.

Ok, bug closed.

> See you in debian-user-french :)

he he :p

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

Debian Bug Importer (debzilla) wrote :

Message-Id: <1088444990.3965.67.camel@seb128>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:49:50 +0200
From: Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden>
To: <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: Bug#256304: totem: fails to start

oups, forgotten the "-done" part

Daniel Robitaille (robitaille) wrote :

Was marked fixed in Debian in 2004

Changed in totem:
status: Unconfirmed → Fix Released
Changed in totem:
status: Unknown → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.