opens 'Places' tab

Bug #653133 reported by Paul Saunders
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
totem (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: totem

With 10.10 when opening 'Places' -> 'Files' [or any other one] the folder is opened by Movie player !!!!!!!
See attached screen shot

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: totem 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Oct 1 17:45:19 2010
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/totem
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: totem

Revision history for this message
Paul Saunders (saunders8669) wrote :
Revision history for this message
Alexander Gnodtke (gnodtke) wrote :

Thank you for your bug report.
What exactly do you mean by "Places" -> "Files"? Is it any one of "Home Folder", "Desktop", "Documents" etc. or are you selecting "Recent Documents" and a file?

10.10 RC has been released recently. Could you please check if your bug is reproducible in the 1010 Release Candidate?

Changed in totem (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Paul Saunders (saunders8669) wrote : Re: [Bug 653133] Re: opens 'Places' tab

At the top of the Gnome panel there is a tab called 'Places' if you go
down that tab then you will see folders called 'Files', 'documents',
'Downloads', etc. if you then select one of these folders it opens in
'movie player'

hope that make it more clear.

Paul S

On 4 October 2010 11:45, Alexander Gnodtke <email address hidden> wrote:
> Thank you for your bug report.
> What exactly do you mean by "Places" -> "Files"? Is it any one of "Home Folder", "Desktop", "Documents" etc. or are you selecting "Recent Documents" and a file?
>
> 10.10 RC has been released recently. Could you please check if your bug
> is reproducible in the 1010 Release Candidate?
>
> ** Changed in: totem (Ubuntu)
>       Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> opens 'Places' tab
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/653133
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: totem
>
> With 10.10 when opening 'Places' -> 'Files' [or any other one] the folder is opened by Movie player !!!!!!!
> See attached screen shot
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: totem 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Fri Oct  1 17:45:19 2010
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/totem
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
> ProcEnviron:
>  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>  SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: totem
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/653133/+subscribe
>

Revision history for this message
Alexander Gnodtke (gnodtke) wrote :

OK, thats what I thought, I was just confused because I do not have a "Files" entry in my "Places" folder.

These are the things you can please check:

In your homefolder in the file .gtk-bookmarks is a list of the entries of the "Places" folder. They should be names something like:
file:///home/yourname/Documents
etc.

Then you can check if the file ~/.local/share/applications/default.list exists and if there are any entries. (Does not exist per default)

Then check /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and in particular the entries for:
x-directory/normal=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
and
inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

What kind of 10.10 are you running? Could it be a misconfigured development build?

Revision history for this message
Paul Saunders (saunders8669) wrote :

I will check them, but this has only happened since the upgrade to 10.10.
It is not good when you can not access the documents folder via the Gnome panel.

I just though that you may want to know there is a bug in the 10.10.

Thanks for your help and a very good OS thta i am converting as many
people as possible to.

Paul

On 5 October 2010 10:00, Alexander Gnodtke <email address hidden> wrote:
> OK, thats what I thought, I was just confused because I do not have a
> "Files" entry in my "Places" folder.
>
> These are the things you can please check:
>
> In your homefolder in the file .gtk-bookmarks is a list of the entries of the "Places" folder. They should be names something like:
> file:///home/yourname/Documents
> etc.
>
> Then you can check if the file ~/.local/share/applications/default.list
> exists and if there are any entries. (Does not exist per default)
>
> Then check /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and in particular the entries for:
> x-directory/normal=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
> and
> inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
>
> What kind of 10.10 are you running? Could it be a misconfigured
> development build?
>
> --
> opens 'Places' tab
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/653133
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: totem
>
> With 10.10 when opening 'Places' -> 'Files' [or any other one] the folder is opened by Movie player !!!!!!!
> See attached screen shot
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: totem 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Fri Oct  1 17:45:19 2010
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/totem
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
> ProcEnviron:
>  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>  SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: totem
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/653133/+subscribe
>

Revision history for this message
Paul Saunders (saunders8669) wrote :

Hi again,

I have checked the file you said and here are the results -

These files are here and the lines are correct:
>> x-directory/normal=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
>> and
>> inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop

These files are not here:
In your homefolder in the file .gtk-bookmarks is a list of the entries
of the "Places" folder. They should be names something like:
>> file:///home/yourname/Documents
>> etc.
>>
>> Then you can check if the file ~/.local/share/applications/default.list
>> exists and if there are any entries. (Does not exist per default)

Hope that is a little more helpful.

I am checking for updates everyday and the version of 10.10 that I am
using is an updated version uing the 'update-manager -d' conig
command.

Thanks for everything.

Paul

On 5 October 2010 14:13, Paul Saunders <email address hidden> wrote:
> I will check them, but this has only happened since the upgrade to 10.10.
> It is not good when you can not access the documents folder via the Gnome panel.
>
> I just though that you may want to know there is a bug in the 10.10.
>
> Thanks for your help and a very good OS thta i am converting as many
> people as possible to.
>
> Paul
>
>
> On 5 October 2010 10:00, Alexander Gnodtke <email address hidden> wrote:
>> OK, thats what I thought, I was just confused because I do not have a
>> "Files" entry in my "Places" folder.
>>
>> These are the things you can please check:
>>
>> In your homefolder in the file .gtk-bookmarks is a list of the entries of the "Places" folder. They should be names something like:
>> file:///home/yourname/Documents
>> etc.
>>
>> Then you can check if the file ~/.local/share/applications/default.list
>> exists and if there are any entries. (Does not exist per default)
>>
>> Then check /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and in particular the entries for:
>> x-directory/normal=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
>> and
>> inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
>>
>> What kind of 10.10 are you running? Could it be a misconfigured
>> development build?
>>
>> --
>> opens 'Places' tab
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/653133
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>> Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>>
>> Bug description:
>> Binary package hint: totem
>>
>> With 10.10 when opening 'Places' -> 'Files' [or any other one] the folder is opened by Movie player !!!!!!!
>> See attached screen shot
>>
>> ProblemType: Bug
>> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
>> Package: totem 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
>> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
>> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
>> Architecture: i386
>> Date: Fri Oct  1 17:45:19 2010
>> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/totem
>> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
>> ProcEnviron:
>>  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>>  SHELL=/bin/bash
>> SourcePackage: totem
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/653133/+subscribe
>>
>

Revision history for this message
Alexander Gnodtke (gnodtke) wrote :

It is strange that .gtk-bookmarks is not in your home folder and you are still seeing Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. in the "Places" menu.
The ~/.gtk-bookmarks file actually stores the nautilus bookmarks, which show up in the "Places" menu.

One thing that you might want to try is:
Start nautilus
Then right-click on a folder such as "Pictures"
Choose "Open with other application..."
Select "File Browser"
Make sure "Remember this application [...]" is checked

Your "Places" menu should then work as expected.
Hope this helps...

Revision history for this message
Paul Saunders (saunders8669) wrote :

Will try that - It happened last time upgraded to 10.4 Beta edition, I
ended up reinstalling the OS when the full version came out [wasted a
few hours, but using the Beta is to test].
A way around it is to open my computer then go to the Places,
Document, etc. folders - a bit of a pain, but it works for now.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

On 6 October 2010 21:57, Alexander Gnodtke <email address hidden> wrote:
> It is strange that .gtk-bookmarks is not in your home folder and you are still seeing Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. in the "Places" menu.
> The ~/.gtk-bookmarks file actually stores the nautilus bookmarks, which show up in the "Places" menu.
>
> One thing that you might want to try is:
> Start nautilus
> Then right-click on a folder such as "Pictures"
> Choose "Open with other application..."
> Select "File Browser"
> Make sure "Remember this application [...]" is checked
>
> Your "Places" menu should then work as expected.
> Hope this helps...
>
> --
> opens 'Places' tab
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/653133
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: totem
>
> With 10.10 when opening 'Places' -> 'Files' [or any other one] the folder is opened by Movie player !!!!!!!
> See attached screen shot
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: totem 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Fri Oct  1 17:45:19 2010
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/totem
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
> ProcEnviron:
>  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>  SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: totem
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/653133/+subscribe
>

Revision history for this message
Hugo Piquer (hugopiquer) wrote :

Try this:
gedit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
Look for the line:
inode/directory=.....
must be...
inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;nautilus.desktop;

Hugo

Revision history for this message
Dimitri Larmuseau (dimitri-larmuseau) wrote :

Hi,

I had the exact same problem on a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 install, and the solution from Hugo did it !

thanks.
regards,
Dimi

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for totem (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in totem (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers