Unknown error when exporting all notes

Bug #983998 reported by Juan Montoya on 2012-04-17
26
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
tomboy (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

There's a particular note that triggers the problem, after deleting it exporting works fine.
Which one is the question. I deleted the notes that where not exported and still. There was a note that had nothing in particular. After deleting it export worked.

Maybe it has something to do with links?

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: tomboy 1.10.0-1ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-23.36-generic-pae 3.2.14
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae i686
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu1
Architecture: i386
Date: Tue Apr 17 08:43:26 2012
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120327.1)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=es_PE:es
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=es_PE.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: tomboy
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

Juan Montoya (th3pr0ph3t) wrote :
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in tomboy (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
SafeTinspector (safetinspector) wrote :

I have same problem on WIndows version 1.11.2
Likewise, the problem note was not very interesting. The export must walk backwards in time, because no note OLDER than the corrupt note was exported.
So determining the problem note was as simple as looking to see what the oldest successfully exported note was, deleting the next oldest, and then exporting again.

Peter Schmidt (peter-schmidt) wrote :

It seems to fail on a particular note when there are certain characters present in the title. Removing colons ':' and quotes "" worked for me.

Ruben (ruben-tregeagle) wrote :

I could not export all notebooks so I tried exporting them as individual notebooks. The first few I tried, failed then one exported successfully.

I tried removing punctuation characters from the titles in the non-exporting notebooks but that did not fix it. So I started logging this job.

To get check the error I ran the Export All Notebboks tool again and it worked.

k singh (triveni-2com) wrote :

I use ubuntu 14.04 and tomboy 1.15.4. I can't export ANY note to plain text but i can export to HTML. Latex export plugin somehow works but i don't really know whether the whole data is exported as it saves to a .tex file. I had 2400 plus notes and a few notebooks made over a period of time. Earlier I could export some of the notes and some notebooks in folders. They used to appear as .html files. But then tomboy stopped working in exporting notes and now gives an UNKNOWN error everytime. It creates folders/subfolders but there are no files in them--only one or two subfolders with the names of the notebooks.

I backed up all the notes into a single txt file and deleted all the notes from ~/.local/share/tomboy to see if the problem goes away. Then i created a few notes linked to each other. The EXPORT to plaintext PLUGIN still does not work and gives UNKNOWN error. I enabled and disabled and re-enabled the ADDINs/plugins but export does not work.

If the export to plain text plugin is faulty or not compatible with the export to html plugin if both are enabled at the same time, the buggy one should not be allowed to be enabled by the system. When i started testing the plugins, HTML export addin was enabled and Plain text addin was disabled-- the unknown error still came. then i disabled the HTML export addin, and enabled the Plain text plugin--still the unknown error came. Both were enabled--still the unknown error came. Then i backup up all the notes to a single text file and deleted all the notes in the .local/share/tomboy folder and quit tomboy and then restarted it. Tomboy still showed the earlier notes which was surprising. Only when i rebooted, the tomboy cache was cleared and no notes showed up. Then i recreated some notes and tried to export. Still the unknown error came --with the Plain text export plugin. After the Plain text export plugin was DISABLED and the HTML export plugin enabled, i was able to export the notes to htnl files in a folder.

It is unnerving to see such a major problem in this wonderful application software. Also have observed several bugs reported here at launchpad.net
Unexpected crashes, cannot write to disk --disk full error(when disk space low), lost notes, links to notes with shortest names only highlighted etc but there are workarounds for some of them which i have learnt over time.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers