system-config-samba.py crashed with SystemError in __init__()

Bug #185543 reported by Carlos Donizete Froes on 2008-01-24
944
This bug affects 7 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
system-config-samba (Ubuntu)
High
Jack Matier
Declined for Hardy by Soren Hansen

Bug Description

Binary package hint: system-config-samba

Ao executar, some da tela o system-config-samba.

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: i386
Date: Thu Jan 24 05:11:00 2008
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/share/system-config-samba/system-config-samba.py
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.5
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: system-config-samba 1.2.50-0ubuntu2
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/system-config-samba
ProcCwd: /home/coringao
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=pt_BR:pt:pt_PT
 PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
 LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
PythonArgs: ['/usr/sbin/system-config-samba']
SourcePackage: system-config-samba
Title: system-config-samba.py crashed with SystemError in __init__()
Uname: Linux ubuntu-desktop 2.6.24-4-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 14 17:30:39 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
UserGroups:

Jamie Strandboge (jdstrand) wrote :

Thanks for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. We appreciate the difficulties you are facing, but this appears to be a "regular" (non-security) bug. I have unmarked it as a security issue since this bug does not show evidence of allowing attackers to cross privilege boundaries nor directly cause loss of data/privacy. Please feel free to report any other bugs you may find.

DeadZedz (deadzed) wrote :

Hardy 8.04 created a crash report about samba 21. feb. 2008

RedHeron (ray-jenson) wrote :

It's definitely not a security issue, nor one of data loss... merely inconvenience with the network.

The issue seems to be a misconfiguration caused by one of the other samba configurators that I was using (Smb4K ... and before you ask, I have both Gnome and KDE on the same machine just for complexity's sake).

My architecture is AMD64, so it's not a platform-specific bug, apparently. However, the nvidia driver is common between the two systems. I use the non-free one due to productivity needs.

I noticed that the word "spoolss" was in the Samba config file, and on its own line. Additionally, I just had to run the recovery console to fix the sudoers file. In both cases, the issue was caused by the same piece of software which (rather than gracefully allowing for alterations) appears to be causing Samba to crash.

I was hoping it would speed up my changes to the Samba config... apparently that is not the case.

Ran the normal Samba config in order to try to detect/correct errors, but it crashed. Very inconvenient, since I'm on a deadline and need to pull stuff from the Windows-only company-owned laptop (as well as put it back when I'm done).

Thus, any time taken to correct this bug is greatly and sincerely appreciated.

raanan (raanan-opcat) wrote :

"touch /etc/libusers.conf" seems to fix this crash and let system-config-samba run fine.

Nicholas Kourtzis (kourtzis) wrote :

The suggested fix didn't work for me. Still crashes...

cbudden (chrisbudden) wrote :

I have just done a reinstall of Hardy today (March 16th 2008) and needed to create the /etc/libuser.conf file for system-config-samba to run.

Alessio Treglia (quadrispro) wrote :

I can confirm this issue.

After

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

system-config-samba.py runs well

Florin Ivan (florica76) wrote :

I can confirm this issue.

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
system-config-samba.py runs well

John Schutz (john-schutz) wrote :

I also fixed this by touching /etc/libuser.conf

Alessio Treglia (quadrispro) wrote :

I can confirm this bug.

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf solved my problems...

Florian Wittmann (flo-club) wrote :

I had the same problem.
I also solved this with sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

Sridhar Dhanapalan (sridhar) wrote :

system-config-samba.py crashed for me after complaining that it couldn't recognise 2 lines in my smb.conf:

  dead time = 15
  lpq cache = 30

Those entries are valid Samba parameters. My smb.conf file was created manually and was carried across from an earlier installation of Ubuntu. I understand that it might be difficult to get system-config-samba.py to recognise all smb.conf options, but it should fail more gracefully than crashing.

Reiner Jung (prefec2) wrote :

I had the same problem.
sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
solved it.

will try that today.

Thanks
Pavan

On 3/24/08, Reiner Jung <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> I had the same problem.
> sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
> solved it.
>
> --
> system-config-samba.py crashed with SystemError in __init__()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/185543
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Source Package "system-config-samba" in Ubuntu: New
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: system-config-samba
>
> Ao executar, some da tela o system-config-samba.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Thu Jan 24 05:11:00 2008
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/system-config-samba/system-config-samba.py
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.5
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Package: system-config-samba 1.2.50-0ubuntu2
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/system-config-samba
> ProcCwd: /home/coringao
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=pt_BR:pt:pt_PT
>
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
> LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/sbin/system-config-samba']
> SourcePackage: system-config-samba
> Title: system-config-samba.py crashed with SystemError in __init__()
> Uname: Linux ubuntu-desktop 2.6.24-4-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 14 17:30:39
> UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> UserGroups:
>

--
Thank you,
Pavan Tulluri
201-982-0544

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
solved it for me too. (;

brutalix (ramsland) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
works like a charm :)

mijeca (mijeca) wrote :

Same here. The problem was solved with:

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

Congrats for the 8.04
;)

Nicolas Albert (nicoa380) wrote :

Same bug with a fresh Hardy beta.

Fixe with :
sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

Same problem with Hardy beta.
Fixed by removing the line 'include /etc/samba/smb.conf.custom' (not sure what from my custom conf is causing the crash), and touching /etc/lib/user.conf.

Anuban (anubanaries) wrote :

Same here. The problem was solved with:

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
Thanks...
Love Ubuntu 8.04 so far...

Malinen (malinmip) wrote :

I can confirm that sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf helped to this issue!

  • unnamed Edit (672 bytes, text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1)

tried and confirmed too it works !!

2008/4/5, Malinen <email address hidden>:
>
> I can confirm that sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf helped to this issue!
>
>
> --
> system-config-samba.py crashed with SystemError in __init__()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/185543
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>

will101 (will-prichard) wrote :

does this have anything to do with the fact Ubuntu hardy heron will not recognize my windows vista network even after the fix? It is recognized under gutsy so i switched back for now. I can connect via go>server>ip address but have to do that every time I want to connect. If this is the wrong place ask this question I will cancel it. I am converting this to question in case this is relevant. If not i will gladly cancel the question.

Changed in system-config-samba:
status: New → Invalid
cbudden (chrisbudden) wrote :

As this bug has now 45 duplicates, does anyone know if anything been done about getting it fixed?

Changed in system-config-samba:
importance: Undecided → High
status: Invalid → Confirmed

sudo /etc/libuser.conf worked here as well, although "gksu touch /etc/libuser.conf" did not I was able to fix it from a console

sipickles (sipickles) wrote :

The /etc/ directory shows a libusers.conf file.

Needed to add /etc/libuser.conf

Obviously a type somewhere....

Barnacle Bill (barnaclebill) wrote :

Thanks for the reply...

I followed the advice on the bug forum and pasted "touch
/etc/libusers.conf" into the terminal, and the Samba admin panel
opened without problems (getting my mac to connect is another matter
;) )

Thanks again,
Paul

On 21/04/2008, sipickles <email address hidden> wrote:
> The /etc/ directory shows a libusers.conf file.
>
> Needed to add /etc/libuser.conf
>
> Obviously a type somewhere....
>
> --
> system-config-samba.py crashed with SystemError in __init__()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/185543
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Source Package "system-config-samba" in Ubuntu: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: system-config-samba
>
> Ao executar, some da tela o system-config-samba.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Thu Jan 24 05:11:00 2008
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/system-config-samba/system-config-samba.py
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.5
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Package: system-config-samba 1.2.50-0ubuntu2
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/system-config-samba
> ProcCwd: /home/coringao
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=pt_BR:pt:pt_PT
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
> LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PythonArgs: ['/usr/sbin/system-config-samba']
> SourcePackage: system-config-samba
> Title: system-config-samba.py crashed with SystemError in __init__()
> Uname: Linux ubuntu-desktop 2.6.24-4-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 14 17:30:39 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> UserGroups:
>

d-bos (danny-osullivan) wrote :

Yeh I also had the problem of pasting from the thread ;_;. thought the
solution didn't work for me and had given up.

Thanks

Fred_D (fdonelly) wrote :

Same problem here, and same fix on fresh RC install.

Mitch (mrweb2-0) wrote :

"sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf" did not work for me by itself. After, I had to run "sudo system-config-samba", then it worked from there on out. It would not launch from the system > administration menu before I took that second step.

Phan Trọng Khanh (khanhpt) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
work for me. Thanks.

Well I gave up on using a Configuration program, actually Gave up on samba enitrly and I m just using ipp seeing as that all I really needed

tminton (tomminton) wrote :

I had the same problem.
I also solved this with sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

Jack Matier (jack-matier) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
sudo touch /etc/libusers.conf

worked for me.

I touched libusers.conf first and it came up with a security prompt but crashed after. When I touched sudo touch /etc/libers.conf as well it worked like a charm.

larbac (rop12770) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

This works for me. My network works again.
Thanks

larbac a écrit :

Thanks for your solution
My network work again

> sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
>
> This works for me. My network works again.
> Thanks
>
>

CJ (cjbiazak) wrote :

Mitch said:

"sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf" did not work for me by itself. After, I had to run "sudo system-config-samba", then it worked from there on out. It would not launch from the system > administration menu before I took that second step.

I agree. Both steps fixed my problem.

SPGoetze (spgoetze) wrote :

same problem.
sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
solved it.

EvilHamster (forsbox) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
works fine for me too

Jens (jens.timmerman) wrote :

This bug would probably be fixed by fixing this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libuser/+bug/214959

Saïvann Carignan already created a debdiff for libuser adding the /etc/libuser.conf file..

druzy (druzy-druzy) on 2008-04-28
Changed in system-config-samba:
assignee: nobody → jack-matier
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
kevin (lincolnuniboy) wrote :

Confirmed that when i pasted sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf it has fixed the bug im a linux virgin just wished i knew what this had done oh well the learning curve continues :)

fred16999 (16999-gmx) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
works for me too

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
works for me too.
Thanks!

jcbaena@gmail.com (jcbaena) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf does not solves the problem on my pc.

Andrey.Tedeev (andrey-tedeev) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
resolves my problem

John Griffin (johnog) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
worked here

Jason R. Rokeach (archigos) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
Worked for me as well.

keldrum (kel-kelweb) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf corrected the problem for me.
keldrum

rosseto (rositsa-gergova) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf worked for me but it crashes after starting

stefan fu (furste) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf works for me, thanks

David Serrano (d-serrano) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

Yep, problem solved... Thanks :D

Chris (chris-dries) wrote :

Idem, sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf solved the problem
Thanks

kulight (kulight) wrote :

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

problem solved!
Thanks

Laurent (laurent-sottocasa) wrote :

ok, it solve the problem, thanks

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
problème résolu.
merci

  • unnamed Edit (138 bytes, text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1)

I did try sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf previously without success but it did
it this time.

Thanks so much!!!!
I LOVE UBUNTU

I also was having the same problem. I am using Ubuntu Gutsy.

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf fixed the problem.

Sean (sdans563) wrote :

the fix worked but when will a updated deb be released for this bug?

your solution worked goofee, Thx

Goofee691 a écrit :
> the fix worked but when will a updated deb be released for this bug?
>
>

Sean (sdans563) wrote :

the fix must be done by the end user it should be in the repository

Changed in system-config-samba:
status: Fix Released → Fix Committed
Soren Hansen (soren) wrote :

Fixed by libuser 1:0.56.7-1ubuntu1

Changed in system-config-samba:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers