Subversion does not properly report status of externals

Bug #1095845 reported by Benjamen.R.Meyer on 2013-01-03
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
subversion (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I have used Subversion for a long time without issue; however since the upgrade from Kubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 I have an issue with the Ubuntu provided version of Subversion properly reporting the status of the svn:externals in the working copy. The below is an example:

bmeyer@bmeyer:~/viking/tools/profileDisplayTool.trunk$ svn status
X railTemplates
X fullProfileImageLibrary
X imQt_deps
? src/old-data
? src/data6
? src/data7
X system-includes
bmeyer@bmeyer:~/tools/displayTool.trunk$ cd imQt_deps/
bmeyer@bmeyer:~/tools/displayTool.trunk/imQt_deps$ svn status
M include/im/Qt/profiles/graphics/imGraphicsRT.h
M src/profiles/graphics/imGraphicsRT.cpp
? src/profiles/graphics/'
M src/profiles/graphics/imGraphicsNFP.cpp
M src/profiles/graphics/imGraphicsCommon.cpp
M src/profiles/profiles.pro
X src/service/qt-service
X system-include
bmeyer@bmeyer:~/tools/displayTool.trunk/imQt_deps$

If I directly query the svn:external it reports properly. However if I query from the parent project it does not.

While this seems like the patch referenced for Subversion 1.8.0 in http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=1935 was included in 1.7.5 for Ubuntu it doesn't as that is supposedly for only when there are no changes in the svn:external and I can very well show that I do have changes in the svn:external.

Is there something Ubuntu did for 12.10 in upgrading Subversion (including patch or something) that changes this behavior?
How can I get back to the old behavior?

I did not change any setting for Subversion when moving from Kubuntu 12.04 to 12.10; and I have not set any settings in the ~/.subversion directory's files.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
Package: subversion 1.7.5-1ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-21.32-generic 3.5.7.1
Uname: Linux 3.5.0-21-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu9
Architecture: i386
Date: Thu Jan 3 17:16:30 2013
InstallationDate: Installed on 2011-08-09 (513 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
MarkForUpload: True
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=
 TERM=linux
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: subversion
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-23 (72 days ago)

Benjamen.R.Meyer (bm-witness) wrote :
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in subversion (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Vadym Klymenko (klymenko-vadym) wrote :

actually "svn status" behavior wasn't changed.
That's "svn upgrade" command bug. somehow it breaks externals while upgrading from 1.6.* repository to 1.7.*
You can fix it by "svn co project" to get it from scratch or removing paths with externals and "svn up" them back.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers