software-properties-kde corrupts sources.list file

Bug #464707 reported by Suspicious1 on 2009-10-30
22
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
software-properties (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: kpackagekit

I've produced this bug on a y-day's final release image of Kubuntu Karmic Koala LiveCD, downloaded from the official FTP.
I've ran it in Live mode, everything started fine, then I've started the kPackageKit, a frontend to APT package manager I guess. Before gaining the package list from the server, I've opened kPackageKit options and did the following:

I've ticked the "Multiverse" and removed "Restricted", changed the "Default mirror" to "Other" but no dialog or something has appeared, instead every ticks I had set were removed from options dialog, so then I've changed "Default mirror" option from "Other" to "Russian Federation" and set the ticks as I want, and then I have closed the options dialog, saving the settings. After that step I was unable to search for packages or anything, kPackageKit complained about something like "Package cache were not generated previously", updating won't help. Then I've decided to use APT and opened a Terminal and typed:

$ sudo aptitude update

but it didn't work, it complained on (below comes original text in Russian, lower comes the translation)

E: Искажённая строка 2 в списке источников /etc/apt/sources.list (анализ URI)
E: Invalid consistency at line 2 in the sources list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI analysis)

I've opened sources.list file in text editor and what I saw was weird lines like the ones here (Exact copy below):

deb karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse

So the idea was kPackageKit had an error and removed the whole addresses.
After bringing lines to their normal look (example below) I've updated the package cache fine and kPackageKit works.

deb http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic main universe multiverse

My ideas are that this may be due to strange behavior of the kPackageKit when having no package cache at all (As had I, because the first run from LiveCD won't have a cache obviously). All versions used are default for Kubuntu Karmic release CD as of 29th of October, '09. Unfortunately I'm not currently able to find out the exact versions and gain original messages in English, but as far as I remember, KDE should be 4.3.2 for the Karmic release.

Related branches

affects: kpackagekit (Ubuntu) → software-properties (Ubuntu)
summary: - kPackageKit corrupts sources.list file
+ software-properties-kde corrupts sources.list file
amichair (amichai2) wrote :

Fully reproducible:
1. boot into kramic live cd, choosing Russian in the languages bootup menu.
2. run open sources dialog in kpackagekit (or run software-properties-kde directly)
3. select 'Other...' (russian equivalent) from mirrors combo box
4. the mirror dialogs never open, and the sources.list file is now corrupt

The bug is that 'Other...' is treated as any other mirror on the list, but with an empty url, thus the urls in sources.list are updated to blank.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package software-properties - 0.75.5

---------------
software-properties (0.75.5) lucid; urgency=low

  [ Harald Sitter ]
  * KDE frontend: replace old manual listing of file endings for key import
    with mimetype based model (no need to support old stuff since it is so
    incredibly wrong... ending-wise that is)

  [ Amichai Rothman ]
  * Fix import of keys with non-ascii filename (LP: #350485)
  * Add source line input validation when adding a new source (LP: #116445)
  * Fix selected item and edit/remove button state after toggling a source
  * Fix alternate mirror selection corrupting sources.list (LP: #464707)
  * Fix selected mirror not shown in combobox (LP: #96110)
  * Fix mirror selection dialog error in non-ascii locale (LP: #96201)
  * Fix crash when modifying sources selection (LP: #102792)
  * Fix error handling when ppa key is missing (LP: #475220)
  * Improve keyboard tab order in some dialogs (LP: #464569)
  * Fix and improve mirror test and GUI (LP: #223047)
  * Fix mirror test timeout handling (LP: #456365)
  * Fix i18n, accelerators and styling on all dialogs (LP: #102773)
  * Fix utf8 in edit source dialog comments (LP: #489960)
 -- Amichai Rothman <email address hidden> Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:46:38 +0200

Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers