Error message: Unable to unmount the camera at this time

Bug #631759 reported by Sergio Zanchetta on 2010-09-06
22
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Shotwell
Fix Released
Unknown
shotwell (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: shotwell

From him-001 testcase
http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Plans/LaptopTesting

1 Verify that no removable media icons are present on the desktop.
2 Insert a media card into the reader.
3 etc.

Just after inserting media card, a pop-up window come up asking the application to launch.
Selecting shotwell, an error message appear (see screenshot).

Anyway, I can see the content of the media card selecting Camera→Mass storage camera.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: shotwell 0.7.1-0ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-19.28-generic 2.6.35.3
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-19-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Mon Sep 6 16:59:15 2010
LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Beta i386 (20100901.1)
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: shotwell

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :
Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :
Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

I tried with another SD Card, (128 MB) and no error message appeared.

The first one was a 16 MB.

Changed in shotwell (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Adam Dingle (adam-yorba) wrote :

I've ticketed this upstream here:

http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/2526

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

Great. Thanks a lot Adam. :)

Omer Akram (om26er) on 2010-09-07
Changed in shotwell (Ubuntu):
status: New → Triaged
Changed in shotwell:
status: Unknown → New
Greg Ryman (ryman-greg) wrote :

Same problem here. Can't import any pictures from my camera.

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

@Greg
The problem here is not about a camera, is about a SD card that lead at the error message.
In fact I'm able to browse it and see pictures, although that annoying "Unable to unmount the camera at this time" at every card insertion.

If you are not able to see pics from your camera or import them please file another bug report.

Greg Ryman (ryman-greg) wrote :

@Sergio
I do have the same problem. Upon inserting SD card I get the "unable to unmount the camera at this time" message. And if I browse to my media, which shows pictures on the media, I get an error when importing (xx photos failed to import due to a file or hardware error:).

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

I told you so because you were talking about a camera on comment #6:

Greg Ryman
"Same problem here. Can't import any pictures from my camera."

So, please confirm the bug if you are facing the same problem.

Thanks.

Sergio Zanchetta (primes2h) wrote :

Sorry, the bug is already confirmed. :-)

Changed in shotwell:
status: New → Fix Released
Omer Akram (om26er) wrote :

shotwell 0.8.1 is now in Natty

Changed in shotwell (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Brett Stahlman (brettstahlman) wrote :

Trying to figure out whether my bug is the same as this one...
In Shotwell 0.7.2, in Ubuntu 10.10, I plug in my Kodak EasyShare C533, turn it on, and the following pops up:

Error dialog (Qty. 1)
Unable to mount KODAK EasyShare C533 Zoom Digital Camera
Error initializating camera: -60: Could not lock the device

Choose application dialog (Qty. 2)
You have just inserted a medium with digital photos. Choose what application to launch.

This business of duplicate "choose application" dialogs has been discussed on other threads: e.g.,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/331681
(Note that that bug, which was first reported almost 2 years ago, is confirmed, but still unassigned.)

At any rate, if I choose to open Shotwell anyway, and then click on the camera icon within Shotwell, I get...
"Shotwell needs to unmount the camera from the filesystem in order to access it. Continue?
[Cancel/Unmount]

So is the behavior I'm seeing with Shotwell a result of bug 331681, or will it be fixed by the fix for the bug in this thread? Also, does the previous post imply that the fix for the bug in this thread will be seen in Shotwell 0.8.1? When is that likely to be available in the stable Ubuntu repository (i.e., available via Update Manager)?

Thanks,
Brett Stahlman

you could install shotwell 0.8.1 from this ppa
https://launchpad.net/~yorba/+archive/ppa and see if you still face the
issue

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Brett Stahlman <email address hidden>
wrote:
>
> Trying to figure out whether my bug is the same as this one...
> In Shotwell 0.7.2, in Ubuntu 10.10, I plug in my Kodak EasyShare C533,
turn it on, and the following pops up:
>
> Error dialog (Qty. 1)
> Unable to mount KODAK EasyShare C533 Zoom Digital Camera
> Error initializating camera: -60: Could not lock the device
>
> Choose application dialog (Qty. 2)
> You have just inserted a medium with digital photos. Choose what
application to launch.
>
> This business of duplicate "choose application" dialogs has been discussed
on other threads: e.g.,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/331681
> (Note that that bug, which was first reported almost 2 years ago, is
confirmed, but still unassigned.)
>
> At any rate, if I choose to open Shotwell anyway, and then click on the
camera icon within Shotwell, I get...
> "Shotwell needs to unmount the camera from the filesystem in order to
access it. Continue?
> [Cancel/Unmount]
>
> So is the behavior I'm seeing with Shotwell a result of bug 331681, or
> will it be fixed by the fix for the bug in this thread? Also, does the
> previous post imply that the fix for the bug in this thread will be seen
> in Shotwell 0.8.1? When is that likely to be available in the stable
> Ubuntu repository (i.e., available via Update Manager)?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett Stahlman
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> shotwell in ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/631759
>
> Title:
> Error message: Unable to unmount the camera at this time
>
> Status in Shotwell:
> Fix Released
> Status in “shotwell” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: shotwell
>
> From him-001 testcase
> http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Plans/LaptopTesting
>
> 1 Verify that no removable media icons are present on the desktop.
> 2 Insert a media card into the reader.
> 3 etc.
>
> Just after inserting media card, a pop-up window come up asking the
application to launch.
> Selecting shotwell, an error message appear (see screenshot).
>
> Anyway, I can see the content of the media card selecting Camera→Mass
> storage camera.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> Package: shotwell 0.7.1-0ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-19.28-generic 2.6.35.3
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-19-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Mon Sep 6 16:59:15 2010
> LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Beta i386 (20100901.1)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: shotwell
>
>

Brett Stahlman (brettstahlman) wrote :

Thanks Omer. I may end up giving that a try. Actually, though, I'm thinking that gnome's device detection may be at least partly to blame. It's just frustrating that the bug referenced in my earlier post has gone unresolved (indeed unassigned) for almost 2 years, in spite of the fact that it seems to affect a significant number of users (and probably deters a number of would-be users from adopting Ubuntu as their primary distribution). Since I seem to be able to import pictures with gthumb (albeit with the error dialogs mentioned in the other post), I'll probably just use that for now. I can import with F-Spot as well, but it crashes routinely, apparently unable to handle the large (~10000) number of images I'm managing...

Brett S.

Adam Dingle (adam-yorba) wrote :

Brett,

I doubt that your bug is the same as this one, since this one only occurred with memory cards, not when attaching a camera.

I still don't see what trouble you're having with Shotwell. When you attach a camera, Shotwell says that it needs to unmount the camera in order to access it; that's normal and expected. If you choose Unmount, can Shotwell read photos from the camera?

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.