(software-properties, missing debconf socket; frontend window closed too early?) package shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Bug #1694513 reported by Vipul Gupta on 2017-05-30
24
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
shim-signed (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
software-properties (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Just appeared out of no where.

ProblemType: Package
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
Package: shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-53.56~16.04.1-generic 4.8.17
Uname: Linux 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64
.proc.sys.kernel.moksbstate_disabled: 0
.sys.firmware.efi.efivars.MokSBStateRT-605dab50-e046-4300-abb6-3dd810dd8b23: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/MokSBStateRT-605dab50-e046-4300-abb6-3dd810dd8b23'
.sys.firmware.efi.efivars.SecureBoot-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c: 

Vipul Gupta (vipulgupta2048) wrote :
Steve Langasek (vorlon) wrote :

The error in your log is:

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
debconf: (Cannot connect to /tmp/aptdaemon-klnuxv1j/debconf.socket: Connection refused at (eval 18) line 3.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
Running in non-interactive mode, doing nothing.
dpkg: error processing package shim-signed (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

I see that this happens when you are installing some dkms packages (bbswitch-dkms, and nvidia). How have you selected these for installation? Did you use the 'Software & Updates' Additional Drivers GUI?

Changed in shim-signed (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete

Hey Steve,
Yes I was installing Nvidia proprietary driver for my 960MX in Xubuntu
using " software and updates only" GUI. Software and updates then
additional drivers then selecting the Nvidia driver and apply changes. It
keeps apply changing for hours on end.And doesn't get completed. I am new
to ubuntu and Xubuntu basically. I don't really know why is it not
installing the driver

On 31-May-2017 1:45 AM, "Steve Langasek" <email address hidden>
wrote:

> The error in your log is:
>
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Passthrough
> debconf: (Cannot connect to /tmp/aptdaemon-klnuxv1j/debconf.socket:
> Connection refused at (eval 18) line 3.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
> Running in non-interactive mode, doing nothing.
> dpkg: error processing package shim-signed (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> I see that this happens when you are installing some dkms packages
> (bbswitch-dkms, and nvidia). How have you selected these for
> installation? Did you use the 'Software & Updates' Additional Drivers
> GUI?
>
> ** Changed in: shim-signed (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1694513
>
> Title:
> package shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
> failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation
> script returned error exit status 1
>
> Status in shim-signed package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Just appeared out of no where.
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
> Package: shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-53.56~16.04.1-generic 4.8.17
> Uname: Linux 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64
> .proc.sys.kernel.moksbstate_disabled: 0
> .sys.firmware.efi.efivars.MokSBStateRT-605dab50-e046-4300-abb6-3dd810dd8b23:
> Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/
> MokSBStateRT-605dab50-e046-4300-abb6-3dd810dd8b23'
> .sys.firmware.efi.efivars.SecureBoot-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-
> aa0d-00e098032b8c:
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shim-signed/+
> bug/1694513/+subscriptions
>

Thanks for the response. I don't know why this has failed for you; we have seen problems with the debconf socket when using gnome-software, but this is the first report I've seen for this particular problem with software & updates. It's possible that if you closed the window too soon, the install still running in the background was unable to contact the frontend.

To complete the install, you should be able to simply run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' from a terminal.

summary: - package shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed
- to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script
- returned error exit status 1
+ (software-properties, missing debconf socket) package shim-signed
+ 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade:
+ subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
+ 1
Changed in shim-signed (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: Incomplete → New
Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
summary: - (software-properties, missing debconf socket) package shim-signed
- 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade:
- subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
- 1
+ (software-properties, missing debconf socket; frontend window closed too
+ early?) package shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
+ failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script
+ returned error exit status 1
Download full text (3.8 KiB)

The install went well after an sudo apt-get upgrade. I don't what was the
fault but there is another issue. As soon as I installed the propriety
Nvidia driver. After about 10 minutes , My system touched about 90 degree
Celsius. Showed on lm-sensors detection. Worried what was going on I
rebooted it and still the fan was blowing out heat and the gpu part of the
laptop became very hot. It could be well described like the GPU gets really
hot while playing a high FPS game on windows. So i shifted back to X.org's
driver now.

I searched around for the problem and there are many issues there. But
Nvidia isn't answering them. I guess gonna work with X.org 's nouveau right
now. Though i was having not problems with it. It's all cool now. Just a
head's up ..

Thanks a ton man
Peace

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Steve Langasek <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I don't know why this has failed for you; we
> have seen problems with the debconf socket when using gnome-software,
> but this is the first report I've seen for this particular problem with
> software & updates. It's possible that if you closed the window too
> soon, the install still running in the background was unable to contact
> the frontend.
>
> To complete the install, you should be able to simply run 'sudo dpkg
> --configure -a' from a terminal.
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - package shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed
> to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script returned
> error exit status 1
> + (software-properties, missing debconf socket) package shim-signed
> 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade:
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> ** Changed in: shim-signed (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: shim-signed (Ubuntu)
> Status: Incomplete => New
>
> ** Also affects: software-properties (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Changed in: software-properties (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - (software-properties, missing debconf socket) package shim-signed
> 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade:
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> + (software-properties, missing debconf socket; frontend window closed too
> early?) package shim-signed 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1
> failed to install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script
> returned error exit status 1
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1694513
>
> Title:
> (software-properties, missing debconf socket; frontend window closed
> too early?) package shim-signed
> 1.28~16.04.1+0.9+1474479173.6c180c6-1ubuntu1 failed to
> install/upgrade: subprocess installed post-installation script
> returned error exit status 1
>
> Status in shim-signed package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Just appeared out of no where.
...

Read more...

tags: removed: need-duplicate-check
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in shim-signed (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in software-properties (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers